Will FUNimation ever release Dragon Ball on Blu-ray?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

American Pelican
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Will FUNimation ever release Dragon Ball on Blu-ray?

Post by American Pelican » Thu May 29, 2014 2:55 am

thomas1up wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:Would rather see a re-dub over a bluray release.
Imagine this'd be the case:

> New English dub
> Remastered in HD on Widescreen with omg more image on the sides!!
> On Blu-ray through five epic seasons!

Being in widescreen certainly would attract the attention of the 16x9 AR DB fans.
My worst nightmare would be Dragon Ball looking like... THIS
Probably more like:
Beat it! And take your planet with you!

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Thu May 29, 2014 4:25 am

Unless Toei does a remaster of their own first, or gives them the masters to work with, not likely... that is, if they don't go the upscale route, which I doubt even FUNi would do. I'd certainly love a Level-esque Dragon Ball remaster, but we're probably not going to see something like that come out of FUNi again.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 29, 2014 9:54 am

Sshadow5001 wrote:The only reason I'd wanna see dragonball on Bluray is if its to put a lot of episodes on fewer discs.

I know most modern dvd's don't have this problem anymore but having 3-4 20 minute episodes on 1 disc was really annoying.
That was never a problem with DB. The Saga sets had anywhere from 5-9 episodes per disc. I would like to see series use BD's capacity more and contain upwards of 13 episodes or so per disc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:51 pm

ABED wrote:
Sshadow5001 wrote:The only reason I'd wanna see dragonball on Bluray is if its to put a lot of episodes on fewer discs.

I know most modern dvd's don't have this problem anymore but having 3-4 20 minute episodes on 1 disc was really annoying.
That was never a problem with DB. The Saga sets had anywhere from 5-9 episodes per disc. I would like to see series use BD's capacity more and contain upwards of 13 episodes or so per disc.
Yeah the Dragonball saga sets were pretty good with that. I was really thinking of them old Dragonball Z DVD's...also Futurama's season sets. Messing around with discs all the time is really annoying.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 29, 2014 12:57 pm

I think the maximum was eight episodes per DVD, don't remember nine but I wouldn't be surprised though.

When see in-motion those problems of compression that are seen like below aren't visible because it's happening so quickly that I personally don't even notice, although on the GT Singles it was visible.

FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 29, 2014 2:33 pm

The "Tien Shinhan Saga" set had 2 discs with 9 episodes each.

I don't recall the Futurama sets having any less than 5 episodes per disc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:01 pm

ABED wrote:The "Tenshinhan Shinhan Saga" set had 2 discs with 9 episodes each.

Most had 5 but some had 4. Still it just ain't enough for me. I like to put something on while I'm working on something and it feels like I'm having to change the discs all the time.

I should probably invest in a huge External Hard drive and just stick all my series on it but I'm skint and it'd take forever to convert all the videos.

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 29, 2014 3:49 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:

Most had 5 but some had 4. Still it just ain't enough for me. I like to put something on while I'm working on something and it feels like I'm having to change the discs all the time.

I should probably invest in a huge External Hard drive and just stick all my series on it but I'm skint and it'd take forever to convert all the videos.
To bad it's not as easy as taking songs from CDs and putting them on your iPod. I pray for the day when that's possible and I'll be able to switch between Buffy and Angel, as well as DBZ and Kai episodes without having to change discs.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Re: Will Funi ever release Dragon Ball on Blu Ray

Post by SupremeSSJ » Thu May 29, 2014 6:01 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I would much rather them release Dragonball Dragon-boxes personally.
I would like Dragon Boxes over a Blu-Ray, how would FUNi handle the Blue-ray without masters? :twisted: They need to just release the Movies already.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat May 31, 2014 8:36 am

Yep it indeed does.

- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:11 am

Seven episodes per disc is the sweet spot for half-hour shows on DVD for the major studios. However, Funimation's Dragon Ball encodes are so subpar on even the sets with 5 episodes per disc that it's hard to compare them to anything but the awful (and I do mean awful) Speed Racer DVDs that cram 10 poorly-encoded and time-compressed episodes onto each disc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:25 am

I'm not a videophile, so things like compression and such don't matter to me.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:30 pm

I just like being able to stick a disc in and not have to change it for a few hours. On the CSI box sets I've got they have 4 40 minute episodes per disc and that's great. Typical anime episodes are around 23 minutes minutes so 7 or 8 episodes a discs isn't that unreasonable. I know the episode count for the Blue Bricks is perfectly fine. What I was getting at is making Dragonball HD would be pointless, so just stick a ton of DVD quality episodes on a few Blurays.

I imagine since a bluray can hold a significantly more data, you could contain way more DVD quality episodes per disc. Then again I don't really know how blurays work so I could be wrong.

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:37 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:What I was getting at is making Dragonball HD would be pointless, so just stick a ton of DVD quality episodes on a few Blurays.

I imagine since a bluray can hold a significantly more data, you could contain way more DVD quality episodes per disc. Then again I don't really know how blurays work so I could be wrong.
There's the Blu-ray Disc of 25GB and the 50GB, but what you're saying is for them to do an upscale release of Dragon Ball and that wouldn't actually qualify as HD which Blu-ray is known for.

It's bad enough that a classic series such as Saint Seiya is getting upscaled too but Dragon Ball? Please have some mercy. :?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm already watching Dragonball upscaled onto my HDTV and it looks fine. The question is "Will FUNimation ever release Dragon Ball on Blu-ray? It looks fine as it is so if they were to release it on Blu-ray I'd rather they use the quality we have now (or Dragonbox) and just stick tons of episodes on a disc. Otherwise don't bother with Blu-rays at all.
Last edited by Sshadow5001 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:42 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Sshadow5001 wrote:What I was getting at is making Dragonball HD would be pointless, so just stick a ton of DVD quality episodes on a few Blurays.

There's the Blu-ray Disc of 25GB and the 50GB, but what you're saying is for them to do an upscale release of Dragon Ball and that wouldn't actually qualify as HD which Blu-ray is known for.

It's bad enough that a classic series such as Saint Seiya is getting upscaled too but Dragon Ball? Please have some mercy. :?
I like HD as much as the next person, but I would be more than willing to give that up for more episodes per disc. One of the reasons I love my iPod so much is because of the space it has. I don't have to go switching discs. I can listen to Back in Black right after I listen to Hit the Lights by Metallica. Like I said before, I'm looking forward to the day when I can switch from an episode of Buffy to the Angel cross over, or Kai from DBZ, without skipping a beat.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:55 pm

HD is great for stuff that is HD. Old movies and series that get "HD" remastered more often than not look terrible. Look no further than the first Ghostbusters movie on Blu-ray, that thing is terrible.

Unless they spend a ton of money and remaster it right (which you know FUNimation won't do) then just keep it as is or don't bother.

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

GarrettCRW
Beyond Newbie

Post by GarrettCRW » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:32 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:HD is great for stuff that is HD. Old movies and series that get "HD" remastered more often than not look terrible.
16 mm and 35 mm film has a higher resolution than HD, so if anything looks bad on Blu-ray, it's usually the result of a bad restoration, or of upscaling (the Firefly Blu-ray set uses upscales of the special effects scenes because an HD render was not made, to cite an example).

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:31 am

GarrettCRW wrote:
Sshadow5001 wrote:HD is great for stuff that is HD. Old movies and series that get "HD" remastered more often than not look terrible.
16 mm and 35 mm film has a higher resolution than HD, so if anything looks bad on Blu-ray, it's usually the result of a bad restoration, or of upscaling (the Firefly Blu-ray set uses upscales of the special effects scenes because an HD render was not made, to cite an example).
Really? Wow I guess I don't know Jack lol.

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:49 am

Sshadow5001 wrote:
GarrettCRW wrote:
Really? Wow I guess I don't know Jack lol.
The original Ghostbusters Blu-ray looks poor purely because they used a pre-existing master that was made years earlier for a DVD remaster and so they could air it on TV in HD.

Last year they did one with a proper remaster, although Ghostbusters itself due to various reasons will never look as pristine as some other films (although the situation isn't inherently troublesome like say.. Aliens, even though the recent remaster that Cameron helped oversee looked far more amazing than anyone though possible.)

A few screenshots HDH did for comparison of Ghostbusters between the old disk and the new disk (old disk is first on each.) Although the frames aren't the exact same frame, it's good enough to make the point.

http://s19.postimg.org/hevi2vd2p/ghosbusters_v1_2.png
http://s19.postimg.org/gx0cn0nht/ghosbusters_v2_2.png

http://s19.postimg.org/5kj5rhpf5/ghosbusters_v1_5.png
http://s19.postimg.org/b3qamgbu9/ghosbusters_v2_5.png

http://s19.postimg.org/cp0z0iwoh/ghosbusters_v1_6.png
http://s19.postimg.org/em2aiucq9/ghosbusters_v2_6.png

This is also why companies should (and generally do) ignore most people telling them how things should be done, as the truth of the matter is, most people don't know. So companies will do what gets them the best sales.

This is why the original Ghostbusters Blu-ray was crap. Spending time to do a remaster wouldn't have been helpful for sales in that case, as they were rushing to get it out for the film's anniversary, and the release of the new videogame. So they grabbed what they had and tossed it on a disk. In fact, they had advertised that 2 would follow quickly on Blu-ray, but with the release of the video game having passed, and any anniversary articles being long since done, the disk was cancelled and we still haven't seen 2 on Blu-ray. Literally wasn't worth their effort.

The only reason we even got a new remaster was they wanted to have some high quality BDs that they could pimp out as 'these will scale to 4k really awesomely' for some of their early 4k hardware. Same theory behind us finally getting a proper Robocop remaster from MGM. They were able to budget it, and schedule it to come out right before the new film.

Dragon Ball will only get a Blu-ray when/if Toei decides it's worth their effort.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.