Theory of a Dragon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The S
I Live Here

Theory of a Dragon

Post by The S » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:00 pm

This is something I was pondering over earlier while doing the dishes (yes, I think about the weirdest things when I'm doing other things... so sue me). At one point, I might make a fic or doujin on it... but seeing as how my previous attempts at such were crap and/or never got off the ground, it's not likely. Also, keep in mind that a lot of it coincides with events in the anime only, so keep an open mind.

Anyway, the train of thought began thusly: where does Shenlong go when the Dragon Balls disappear? We know that Evil Shenlong (in GT) actually
comes OUT of the Dragon Balls, but it's seen that the Dragon Balls call forth Shenlong from somewhere, perhaps from outside of the DB Earth.
Now, given the following, I think that there is at least a bit of evidence that he resides in the Anoyo, or Afterlife.

We know for a fact that Son Gokuu trained a lot during his tenure in the Afterlife. We don't know the extent of his training, as in who he trained
with the entire time, what kind of training he went through, et cetera. In the manga (as far as I can remember), we are only told that he learned
the Fusion Dance from the Metamoru-jin. In the anime, we are shown the entire thing with Dai Kaiou, Paikuhan, the Anoyoichi Budokai, et cetera. But there is nothing that accounts for the entire duration of his training. He was there a Hell of a long time (no pun intended).

Is it possible that he somehow met Shenlong there? After all, he had to have learned the Ryuken somewhere, right? Even though Gokuu is a
fighting genius, coming up with many attacks on the fly, the Ryuken seems to be a bit too elaborate for Gokuu to pull out of nowhere. Additionally, the large, golden long that is used in the attack looks exactly like Shenlong, but golden in color. He could have met Shenlong in the Afterlife somewhere, and trained with him. This would also account for the extreme training necessary to not only reach Super Saiyan 2, but 3 as well.

From what we are shown, even though without a life to hinder him and allowing him to push his limits, none of the training we see seems to be
strenuous enough to push Gokuu over the edge to these additional forms, especially since he doesn't seem to have some sort of anger to trigger
such transformations, that we know of.

Another shred of evidence is the resurrection of Chibi Boo as Oob. Sure, it could have been the work of Dai Enma, but (and, as I relayed in a topic
around here about the villains and Hell), Shenlong could very well have been responsible for granting Son Gokuu this unofficial wish. This would
make much more sense if he had trained with Shenlong, or spent a significant amount of time with him.

The final piece of evidence I can think of, is Gokuu going off with Shenlong at the end of Dragon Ball GT. Although it could be a "reward" for Gokuu, having put the Xinlong to rest, and restoring Shenlong to be summoned from the Dragon Balls. But I prefer to think of it as a way for
Gokuu to continue his training for all of time, something that might be more feasable had he trained with him before.

Well, even though all of this came off the top of my head, I hope I at least made some sense. Any comments/complaints/corrections/rebuttals?
Feel free to do so.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

The Mole
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Mole » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:38 pm

uhhhh....you thought of this while doing the dishes?

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:44 pm

I think it's a nice theory and kind of fun to think about. However I've always felt that Shenron simply manifests from energy from the DB's & appears & when the wish is granted, he converts himself into energy & puts 1/7 of himself into each ball. But it is a fun theory.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

The Mole
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Mole » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:58 pm

The whole thing just gives me a headache. :?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:17 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:I think it's a nice theory and kind of fun to think about. However I've always felt that Shenron simply manifests from energy from the DB's & appears & when the wish is granted, he converts himself into energy & puts 1/7 of himself into each ball. But it is a fun theory.
I agree that that's an amazingly interesting theory, but unfortunately Shenron reverts to being an inaminate mini-statue. When killed by Daimao Piccolo, the statue even broke in all the same places.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:27 am

Are you certain?

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:30 am

Yep, that was in the manga.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:40 am

Socar15 wrote:Yep, that was in the manga.
Twice even. Dende simply gave the Dragon statue life when he remade the DBs.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Re: Theory of a Dragon

Post by t-bone135 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:50 am

The S wrote:Another shred of evidence is the resurrection of Chibi Boo as Oob. Sure, it could have been the work of Dai Enma, but (and, as I relayed in a topic around here about the villains and Hell), Shenlong could very well have been responsible for granting Son Gokuu this unofficial wish. This would make much more sense if he had trained with Shenlong, or spent a significant amount of time with him.
I think that movie 10 where Goten "wishes" for help against Broli, (is that two L's?) can further enhance this aspect of the theory. I know that it is only a movie, but let's face it. Something very similar to that theory happened in that Goten made an obscure wish and, for some reason, it gets turned into a real wish. And how did Shenlong help? By sending Goku, no less.

EDIT:
The Mole wrote:uhhhh....you thought of this while doing the dishes?
I think of stuff while doing the dishes all the time. It's very relaxing and that can induce thinking. It's similar to the, "I think while I'm in the shower," idea.
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:13 am

Shenlong is also stated to have equal power to his creator, which means Shenlong, being as strong as Dende, wouldn't be very useful for training someone like Son Goku.

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:17 am

Duo wrote:Shenlong is also stated to have equal power to his creator, which means Shenlong, being as strong as Dende, wouldn't be very useful for training someone like Son Goku.
I don't think that was referring to raw power though considering that Piccolo Daimao destroyed Shenron with one blast, despite the fact that Kamisama was significantly stronger than Daimao at the time. But yeah, training with Shenron would be kinda pointless.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:29 am

Socar15 wrote:Yep, that was in the manga.
Oh well thank you for informing me on that subject.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:40 am

I like to think that Shenlong was sneak attacked...

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:44 am

Yeah but still, even if it was a sneak attack, one blast shouldn't have completely blown him to pieces if he were actually stronger.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:38 am

Socar15 wrote:Yeah but still, even if it was a sneak attack, one blast shouldn't have completely blown him to pieces if he were actually stronger.
Err...it did Kibito. :P

Anyway, it's not completely proven that Kami was stronger than Piccolo. Goku was just shown to be exhausted from lack of oxygen and that his movements were always undisciplined. It's quite plausible that Kami reacted the way Popo did to his attack, and focused his strength into his finger. Personally, I feel he was as strong as young Daimao Piccolo.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:20 pm

I always thought the statue represented Shenlong, as an avatar of sorts, not contained/represented his physical self.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:42 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Socar15 wrote:Yeah but still, even if it was a sneak attack, one blast shouldn't have completely blown him to pieces if he were actually stronger.

Anyway, it's not completely proven that Kami was stronger than Piccolo. Goku was just shown to be exhausted from lack of oxygen and that his movements were always undisciplined. It's quite plausible that Kami reacted the way Popo did to his attack, and focused his strength into his finger. Personally, I feel he was as strong as young Daimao Piccolo.
But Kibito was much weaker than Dabra!

And didn't Goku ask why Kami didn't just beat Piccolo, and Mr. Popo said "He has his reasons..."?

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Re: Theory of a Dragon

Post by ChaotixXero » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:35 pm

The S wrote:

We know for a fact that Son Gokuu trained a lot during his tenure in the Afterlife. We don't know the extent of his training, as in who he trained
with the entire time, what kind of training he went through, et cetera. In the manga (as far as I can remember), we are only told that he learned
the Fusion Dance from the Metamoru-jin. In the anime, we are shown the entire thing with Dai Kaiou, Paikuhan, the Anoyoichi Budokai, et cetera. But there is nothing that accounts for the entire duration of his training. He was there a Hell of a long time (no pun intended).
Goku is shown training with Kaio-sama. Remember when the South(?) Kaio-sama came and Goku turned SSJ while easily moving with 10 tons on each limb?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:50 pm

I just figured King Piccolo could destroy Shenron because Kami could create him.

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:25 pm

Dayspring wrote:

First of all, Kibito was far weaker than Dabra, considering Kibito couldn't even lift the Z Sword off the ground, which makes him weaker than Gohan's base level.

As for Kamisama vs Piccolo Daimao, considering that Goku was far weaker than Mr. Popo (Goku wondered why Mr. Popo or Kamisama didn't just go and destroy Daimao themselves since they were so strong), and that Mr. Popo stated that Kamisama was far stronger than himself, I think Toriyama was definitely implying that Kamisama was stronger. I've always figured that the reason why Kamisama was stronger was because during the time that Daimao was trapped in the jar, Kamisama continued training all those hundreds of years, thus becoming greatly stronger (though he probably wasn't as strong as he was at his peak considering his age). Heck, Daimao's attack on Shenron wasn't even really what I would call a sneak attack considering that he took the time to say "Hmmm, Sorry, you're not going anywhere" and then blasts him, all the time Shenron was looking straight at him. What else was there for Shenron to do to prepare?