How Many Plan to Watch "Battle of Gods" in Theaters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blu-ray_Mistress
Not-So-Newbie

Re: How many plan to watch BOG in theaters?

Post by Blu-ray_Mistress » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:46 am

If it makes to one of my theaters, I am definitely going!

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:51 am

If it's in an area drive-able from Houston I am so in.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:54 am

Kid Buu wrote:^Since you are in LA, perhaps we can go to a mutual showing? We'll see when the details come out.
I'll keep this brief since I don't want to drive the thread off-topic, but yeah, sure! PM me as the debut gets closer.
Smochi wrote:If it's in an area drive-able from Houston I am so in.
I apologize in advance for my geographic ignorance, but how far away is Dallas from Houston? If it's not shown in Houston itself, then since FUNimation is based in Dallas, I'd be shocked if it wasn't shown there.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:^Since you are in LA, perhaps we can go to a mutual showing? We'll see when the details come out.
I'll keep this brief since I don't want to drive the thread off-topic, but yeah, sure! PM me as the debut gets closer.
Smochi wrote:If it's in an area drive-able from Houston I am so in.
I apologize in advance for my geographic ignorance, but how far away is Dallas from Houston? If it's not shown in Houston itself, then since FUNimation is based in Dallas, I'd be shocked if it wasn't shown there.
I'm moving to Houston next month so I am equally clueless about other cities. XD I THINK it's about 5 hours? I have friends in Dallas who I want to see anyway so if it's the only location available, maybe I'll make a trip out of it.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:22 pm

If it's nearby, sure, I'll watch it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:00 pm

I'm in western Kentucky, and I seriously doubt it'll be showing near here, so I'm probably gonna have to wait for the blu-ray. Oh well.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:06 pm

If it plays near me then I'll go see it.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:24 pm

Depends on the theater that it will get released into. If it ever made it into Arclight or some of the really nice theaters in L.A. I'd definitely have a watch. If it's some local art theater with crappy seating I'd be way less inclined, so I hope that Funimation goes all out in terms of selecting the theaters to showcase their new film. Fingers crossed!
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:03 am

Definitely. I haven't seen the movie yet. I always figured on either a U.S. Blu-ray or theatrical showing, so I'm thrilled it's going to be the latter. I'm glad it's going to be dubbed, as that's what I'm used to (I never could get into subbed DBZ).
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:19 am

Definitely going to see it, subbed if possible. Really hoping it's the Director's Cut. I live in San Diego, so the furthest I'll have to drive is L.A., in which it will most likely have a run, if it doesn't come here.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:49 pm

I shall definitely try to watch this movie! I still can't believe it's happening!

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:54 pm

I would if they weren't showing the dub...
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:03 pm

I personally see no reason to.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:07 am

I swear if Ronnies 20 in St. Louis doesn't get it, I'm kicking Eddie in the nads... :x

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:28 am

I live between Los Angeles and San Diego. I would be surprised if there wasn't a showing somewhere near me. I plan on going as soon as I get more details about showtimes in either city.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Kendamu wrote:I live between Los Angeles and San Diego. I would be surprised if there wasn't a showing somewhere near me. I plan on going as soon as I get more details about showtimes in either city.
This reflects my inability to be patient, but when do you think they will finally tell us what theaters they re showing this in? I'm curious as to why they thought it was a good idea to let us know that this was happening but not having finalized the exact theaters the movie will be in? Unless they planned to separate both announcements for hype or something to that effect.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:49 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:
Kendamu wrote:I live between Los Angeles and San Diego. I would be surprised if there wasn't a showing somewhere near me. I plan on going as soon as I get more details about showtimes in either city.
This reflects my inability to be patient, but when do you think they will finally tell us what theaters they re showing this in? I'm curious as to why they thought it was a good idea to let us know that this was happening but not having finalized the exact theaters the movie will be in? Unless they planned to separate both announcements for hype or something to that effect.
Well, sometimes just dropping a hint about something bigger is an effective marketing move, ie, "Stay tuned for a bombshell announcement." That in turn spreads more interest than if they were to just announce all the details upfront.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:51 pm

That, or they're still finalizing the exact locations and don't feel like listing them so far ahead.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:14 pm

If it's close to me and it's not one of those limited days where I'd have to work the next day, then yeah.
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I would if they weren't showing the dub...
Umm... you know that outside stuff like Passion of the Christ, Crouching Tiger, and Pan's Labyrinth, that subbed foreign films usually are only played at art-house theaters right?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:48 pm

Seems like it will have the red carpet treatment. Seems fair.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... l.a/.75461
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.