A March for Goku on Curitiba, Brazil

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

soulnova
Advanced Regular

A March for Goku on Curitiba, Brazil

Post by soulnova » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Seems like there was a march to show support for Goku on Brazil. xD I don't speak portuguese so I can't tell you exactly the reason beyond "it was fun" and "they like him a lot". xD

Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIrk7MRi3M

Looks awesome!!
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A March for Goku on Curitiba, Brazil

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Crazy people!! :D

I saw the event on facebook. Really awesome.
This should be done in every country 8)
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:48 pm

So many people! This is up there with that festival dance video someone posted on the forums a while back in terms of sheer number of people participating in a DB-themed event.

I'm curious about that pose their cutout of Gokû is making. He looks like he's motioning to something beside him, but everyone's doing the genki dama energy-giving at the end (along with a kamehameha).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:26 am

This is how Google Translate translated the description.
That was the March for Goku in Curitiba June 1, 2014.

The Event created by Cassio Ferreira do Busao Curitiba and Marcel Bely, who now looks after the FanPage of the City of Curitiba, was a success. Enlisting the help of Rogerio Ramos, organizer of Shinobi Spirit and Kethlyn Luise.

We BunkerNerd had the opportunity to hold a megaphone and put all staff to sing and give Goku their energy to our God. I can sense danger and chaos, and no one will frighten me now.

It is very important to note that this event is not to make any affront to Jesus. Each to their own belief without any problem. When Satan was screaming during gait were referring to the character Mr. Satan, a character from Dragon Ball.

That's what's for today!
It sounds like a Gokuism group. Like, they were sending their energy to Goku so he could protect them from harm or something. I'm not sure.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:12 am

This is slightly crazy and absurd, but brilliant nonetheless!

Sometimes it's easy to forget that Brazil probably has the largest migrant Japanese population in the world, so of all places outside of Asia, Japanese popular culture is definitely more prominent in the general lexicon.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:18 am

Android 18 joins the parade 1:18 on the left of the screen lol.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:21 am

We actually do that a lot, maybe more than once a year. They're not saying anything too important, they're just there to "worship" Goku and the crowd behind keeps singing the Cha-La and We Gotta Power in Portuguese.

There's no one, NO ONE, who was born in the late 80's/early 90's who hasn't heard or watched DB here. Most of us love it.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:45 pm

FlpShimizu wrote:We actually do that a lot, maybe more than once a year. They're not saying anything too important, they're just there to "worship" Goku and the crowd behind keeps singing the Cha-La and We Gotta Power in Portuguese.

There's no one, NO ONE, who was born in the late 80's/early 90's who hasn't heard or watched DB here. Most of us love it.

Yeah, in Mexico kids are brought up with Dragon Ball too. At least they did until a few years ago. I believe they are showing Kai right now, but I'm not sure.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:22 pm

Yeah, this is basically to celebrate "Gokuism", which is a strong.. erm, meme? I'm not sure how to classify it, it's not really a serious thing but it seems to be quite big. There are plenty Facebook pages about it with lots of followers. It's mostly a Brazilian thing though.

It's kinda weird, ridiculous but at the same time hilarious and adorable. I love it!

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Video looks awesome! I wish we could pull something like that off in either L.A. or NY. Would be great to get that kind of spirit in the states, and with that many people too.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Video looks awesome! I wish we could pull something like that off in either L.A. or NY. Would be great to get that kind of spirit in the states, and with that many people too.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:29 pm

If there was a Cullenism, why not a Gokuism? In fact, Goku has advantage when it comes to being a religious figure:
If you're really, really religious, I advise you not to open it.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Here's my post on the March for Goku.

I think this is a fascinating sociological phenomenon. The Christians in Brazil hold a March for Jesus, so the DBZ fans hold their March for Goku!

Lots of complicated perspectives on this issue. For example, do you feel like this is disrespectful to Christians?
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:19 pm

DerekPadula wrote:Here's my post on the March for Goku.

I think this is a fascinating sociological phenomenon. The Christians in Brazil hold a March for Jesus, so the DBZ fans hold their March for Goku!

Lots of complicated perspectives on this issue. For example, do you feel like this is disrespectful to Christians?
Not really. Theres always gonna be the religiously uptight looking for a excuse to protest. Its like some pastors saying Pokemon is the work of the devil. Just ignore them and have fun with it.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:37 am

As a christian, I don't find it disrespectful, just as I don't find people practicing other religions disrespectful. The world doesn't revolve around me. I would never take part on something that extreme though, because while I love Dragon Ball I'm not going to worship Goku or any other manga character anytime soon haha.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:24 am

Kendamu wrote:This is how Google Translate translated the description.
That was the March for Goku in Curitiba June 1, 2014.

The Event created by Cassio Ferreira do Busao Curitiba and Marcel Bely, who now looks after the FanPage of the City of Curitiba, was a success. Enlisting the help of Rogerio Ramos, organizer of Shinobi Spirit and Kethlyn Luise.

We BunkerNerd had the opportunity to hold a megaphone and put all staff to sing and give Goku their energy to our God. I can sense danger and chaos, and no one will frighten me now.

It is very important to note that this event is not to make any affront to Jesus. Each to their own belief without any problem. When Satan was screaming during gait were referring to the character Mr. Satan, a character from Dragon Ball.

That's what's for today!
It sounds like a Gokuism group. Like, they were sending their energy to Goku so he could protect them from harm or something. I'm not sure.
The first bold text is referring to 'We Gotta Power' theme. Just for fun, it is not intended to be a serious event. The second part was not very well translated, IMO, I don't know what "gait" means. But I can remember some awful reactions against Genkidama's moment when people screamed Satan. As a Christian I don't find it disrespectful, but I feel weird.