Mondo Cool

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Mondo Cool

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:35 pm

Krillin: So this will get Goku back to health in no time? Mondo cool!

Vegeta (thinking): Yes, Mondo Cool.

Besides the fact it's funny for bad reasons. Is that an actual saying? I know this isn't really "DB" related but I'm just curious. I saw on Youtube that's it's an American Slang from the 90's. I'm guessing he means before DBZ English dub said it. I would't know since I didn't come to America to I was 7 in which it was 2003. So my question is

Is this an acutal slang?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Mondo Cool

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:51 pm

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it was actual slang. More like the '80s, though, rather than the '90s. As in, it was already severely outdated when they had Kuririn utter it in '99.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:52 pm

Yep, Mondo was like the Kool Aid squeeze drinks:
And some ads went "Mondo Cool!"...which is kinda smart if you're ripping of Kool Aid lol

here's an ad that doesn't have the "Mondo Cool"

It was a great reference back in the day...oh nostalgia...bring on the hate! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Kakarot88 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure it was actual slang. More like the '80s, though, rather than the '90s. As in, it was already severely outdated when they had Kuririn utter it in '99.
And then they had him say it AGAIN in 07. :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:06 pm

If you look for it I'm sure you can find a video of Sonny Strait at a convention saying how ridiculous he thought the line was. It might have been cool at one time, probably 10 years prior. It just went to show that the people in charge had no idea what they were doing. They had this ridiculous idea to try and contemporize the show and make it appeal to young kids, but why would you use a term that had been out of fashion for nearly a decade?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Lines like "Mondo Cool" are what you get when middle-aged dudes from Texas presume they know how to sell foreign cartoons to children.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:07 am

I adore this thread and this subject.

Yeah Mondo Cool was weird 80'sish slang. I love how the writers tried giving Krillin a catchphrase and they picked just the stupidest one. I have such a love for failed or shitty catphrases and that's both. It's writing decisions like those that make the dub a super good time for me.

The 90's dub of Sailor Moon made the Scouts spout 90's American slang a metric fuck ton during S and SuperS too. Old dubs are fun.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:15 am

:lol: I seriously think the line was cuz of a 90s sugary drink which aired during the episodes. All this catch phrase discussion is interesting though.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:20 am

Kakarot88 wrote::lol: I seriously think the line was cuz of a 90s sugary drink which aired during the episodes. All this catch phrase discussion is interesting though.
Mondo is just a turn of phrase though. It means 'a lot' or 'very'. Mikey used to use it from time to time in the old 1987 TMNT cartoon. I'm pretty sure it's just a coincidence. :lol:

Edit: Come to think of it there was a villain in TMNT called "Mondo Gecko" too.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:40 am

Akumaito Beam wrote:
Kakarot88 wrote::lol: I seriously think the line was cuz of a 90s sugary drink which aired during the episodes. All this catch phrase discussion is interesting though.
Mondo is just a turn of phrase though. It means 'a lot' or 'very'. Mikey used to use it from time to time in the old 1987 TMNT cartoon. I'm pretty sure it's just a coincidence. :lol:

Oh I know what mondo means, I too grew up with Raph, Donny, Leo and Mikey too :thumbup: the line to this day seems like a reference to the then current ads airing at the time: Mondo drink.

As a kid watching it, I didn't even notice cuz it wasn't out of place. It's what people in ads were saying.

How I enjoy the anime:

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:30 am

Krillin should have said "totally rad!" Since that would be more contemporary to 1999.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:43 am

Mondo drinks weren't popular at the time. I know what you're referring to, but there weren't commercials airing for that drink in 99.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:57 am

It just smacks as being one of those out-of-touch marketing decisions made by middle aged man who have assimilated a phrase from popular culture at some point following the end of their youth and retained it as a permanent caricature of 'what the kids are saying'.

To be honest, the dialogue may as well have been 'That's wizard!' or some other form of archaic slang, as for any kid hearing it whilst watching the show, it's likely to be the first time they've ever heard it - as opposed to it being something for them to identify and latch onto. It's just another example of 'the World according to Barry Watson'.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:38 am

Attitudefan wrote:Krillin should have said "totally rad!" Since that would be more contemporary to 1999.
'Totally rad' is both 90s and 80s slang. Mondo might have been a reference to the Kool-aid drink, but I thinks it originated as surfer slang. That would make sense for Michaelangelo to say it since they basically turned him into a stereotypical surfer dude in the 80s cartoon.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:06 am

Here's what I don't get, in the remastered dub for the Freeza saga, both Sonny Strait and Chris Sabat were re dubbing all of their lines as Kuririn and Vegeta respectively, so why did the writers keep "mondo cool" intact? They got rid of a several other silly lines, but they decided to let that one slide?

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:04 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:Lines like "Mondo Cool" are what you get when middle-aged dudes from Texas presume they know how to sell foreign cartoons to children.
The stupidest/funniest line I ever saw in the dub, was in the last episode of the ocean dub, where goku defeats recoome and jeice and burter are gawking at him. Burters looking at him and says "He's a pretty boy, isn't he jeice? A real ladys man like you. If it weren't for you being short and orange, I'd say he was the better looking guy." lines like this and "mondo cool" made the dub for me. Here's a link to the line. It's the first 15 seconds of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzX-4ZgaF9I
Neo died for our smiths.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:57 pm

"Mondo" (as an intensifier that could be applied to various adjectives) I remember from when I was really young, probably right around 1990-'91 or so. "Rad" was "in" at that time too, but looking back, I'm not really sure if that was ever an actual thing, or if it was invented by corporate executives to try and appeal to children (since all the "cool kids" back then tried to imitate vaguely Californian speech patterns).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Akumaito Beam wrote:Mondo is just a turn of phrase though. It means 'a lot' or 'very'. Mikey used to use it from time to time in the old 1987 TMNT cartoon. I'm pretty sure it's just a coincidence. :lol:

That's what "mondo" means? I thought it meant "World" which would make it "Cool World".
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:30 pm

or if it was invented by corporate executives to try and appeal to children
Is that really any worse than the crap that comes from "cool kids"?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:20 pm

90's anime dubs market to kids seem to make real life references. I remember Pokemon and Digimon did the same too. I hate how dubs like this would have DBZ make references to real life stuff when they live in a totally different world from us. Imagine watching a English dub of a movie like The Seven Samurai and they have make a reference to a cool song on a radio. It would make no sense even if they are trying to funny.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/