Is it worth it to own both Z and Kai.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Is it worth it to own both Z and Kai.

Post by sintzu » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:10 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote: I don't know why Toei made the boo saga of 69 episodes.
I think Funimation told them that's what they wanted.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 pm

Certainly it is!

I own Kai from Parts 1-4 and I'd dare to say that I enjoy the Saiyan-Freeza arcs reworked in Kai with Yamamoto's modern cinematic music over the original brilliant Kikuchi score, plus it's in HD and 4x3 AR!

As for Parts 5-8 my opinion differs due to having watched it with the replacement score and the Majin Boo arc [International Edt.]? I'll order the Blu-rays when FUNimation puts them up for pre-orders. I've got hope that they'll have better pacing and editing, an' also better music placement than the Japanese cut edition.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Rukura wrote:I personally feel like it's worth owning all of Z, but not Kai. The best reason I can see for someone wanting all of Kai is for a good english dub.

Kai is a butchered version of Z, with re-drawn bits and pieces of the same Z bits and pieces. Then you get into Kai, with a different aspect ratio than the previous 98 episodes, worse looking footage and a terrible score.

Personal preferences aside, Z is worth it just for consistency alone.
This ^^ . But I will admit, during my runs of "Z" , I only switch to Kai from when Freeza arrives to fight Vegeta, until the end of the Namek arc. I find the "Z" portion of that to be really sloppy. But after that, I skip the Garlic Jr arc, and just get on with the rest of "Z".

So, for me, it's worth owning only parts of Kai.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:06 pm

I don't see it as butchering DBZ at all. If anything it's just cutting off as much fat as possible. Sure, some of the steak is going to go, but by and large remain in tact and be the better for it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:44 pm

EmmaWinters wrote:Compared to how substantially improved it is over the bloated hog we call Z.
Who are you referring to?
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:02 am

I think it is worth it, because there is a lot of content from dragon ball z that you don't get in kai because of everything that's cut out. so you are getting about twice as much content.
Neo died for our smiths.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:07 am

I think I'm just gonna keep season 1 and parts 3 and 4 of Kai and then start buying the new blu ray sets.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:38 am

I'd say Z and Kai are different enough to own both releases.

I own Z via the Dragonboxes and I only watch it with the japanese audio. I simply cannot stand the original english dub. Nostalgia aside, it is simply terrible. Plus it is good for when I wanna watch the series slowly, with filler in tact and everything. Makes for good background noise while I do something else and not giving it full attention.
I also own the Kai BD season sets with the Kikuchi score. This one I watch in english since the Kai english dub is simply fantastic compared to the original Z one. This dub is actually watchable. I mainly play this version when I want to watch the show while giving it my full attention. Story moves forward fast, it's action all the time, no slow parts, and you can get done with the series fairly fast. It's great for marathons.

I watch Z and Kai differently and each one has its purpose in my collection. So in my opinion, it is definitely worth it to own both. The Z orange bricks are great for nostalgia if you grew up with the Toonami version, Kai is great for watching the show with minimal bullshit and just straight to the important parts.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:03 am

sintzu wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote: I don't know why Toei made the boo saga of 69 episodes.
I think Funimation told them that's what they wanted.
So according to you FUNimation made a deal with Toei Animation to make the International Edition last longer and with filler parts even though FUNimation on their Kai releases explicitly stated "No Filler"?

FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:19 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
So according to you FUNimation made a deal with Toei Animation to make the International Edition last longer and with filler parts even though FUNimation on their Kai releases explicitly stated "No Filler"?
When it was being made there was only an international version so isn't it posible that funi asked them not to cut out as much as the first 3 arcs ? especially since they might have been paying for it ? That's the only reason i see why toie would do that cause it would have been a lot less work for them to just have it be 48 episodes from the start like the japanese version

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:17 pm

Which one would you guys say is the most enjoyable? I know the Namek Arc in Z is hated but from what I understand some episodes are entirely filler so they can be skipped.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:30 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:Which one would you guys say is the most enjoyable? I know the Namek Arc in Z is hated but from what I understand some episodes are entirely filler so they can be skipped.
Kai for these reasons :

1- It's closer to the manga thanks to the majority of the filler being cut out

2- The dub is better and more accurate to both the manga and the original japanese version

3- The video quality doesn't have saturated colors and missing lines and whatever is going on with the video of the Z blu-ray's that makes some scenes look like they are taken from a camera

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:00 pm

sintzu wrote:
xmysticgohanx wrote:Which one would you guys say is the most enjoyable? I know the Namek Arc in Z is hated but from what I understand some episodes are entirely filler so they can be skipped.
Kai for these reasons :

1- It's closer to the manga thanks to the majority of the filler being cut out

2- The dub is better and more accurate to both the manga and the original japanese version

3- The video quality doesn't have saturated colors and missing lines and whatever is going on with the video of the Z blu-ray's that makes some scenes look like they are taken from a camera
So basically, Kai is only good if you are a fan of the dub and don't own the Dragon Boxes?
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:52 pm

Quebaz wrote: So basically, Kai is only good if you are a fan of the dub and don't own the Dragon Boxes?
And if you don't like the filler

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Kai volume 1 was amazing because I feel like the saiyan saga needed the filler cut out the most, but after hat it wasn't really worth it for me to own kai. Also i=if you can the dragon boxes or the single releases of DBZ the picture quality is better. Kai used grain removal, which blurred the film. I had the blu rays of Kai volume 1-8 and it looked like a dvd on my tv because of the blurring. It's not as much as the season sets, but it didn't have the sharpness of the level sets.
Neo died for our smiths.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Tatakae!!Ramenman wrote:Kai volume 1 was amazing because I feel like the saiyan saga needed the filler cut out the most
Really? Out of all the arcs, that felt the least in need of filler removal.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.