When will you guys stop buying DBZ home releases?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: When will you guys stop buying DBZ home releases?

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:11 pm

I'm already done. outside of finishing my Pioneer singles and Kai.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:11 pm

hulkty wrote:Why would I need multiple copies of the exact same thing?...
Really the differences are hardly much at all in the long run. Just different box arts. (Which you can just look at the pictures on the internet or something...)
Got the 9 Orange Bricks and sticking with that.
(Also Faulconer biased)
hulkty wrote:Is this simply for collection?...
Why buy so many copies of the same thing?...
If its art, then just look at the pictures online...
Because the quality and presentation of the footage varies dramatically between each release. People continuing buying Dragon Ball Z because they want a viewing experience as close to their preferred ideal as possible.

Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:16 pm

ABED wrote:I'm confused, do you mean the series in widescreen or just the movies?
Also, I know the movies were made with widescreen in mind, but why the "of course"?
Because the films (Z 1-13 + DB 1-4) are available in 4x3 AR so he's saying they should be in widescreen as that was given to be the intended aspect ratio for them, instead of FUNimation cropping it themselves they should just release Dragon Box: The Movies subbed (inc. English dub due to being required, I think) and be done with it.

The film singles which are in 4x3 AR serve to be a novelty of what they looked like uncropped and for this reason they're quite cool, but honestly I just can't stand most of the films 'cause they're worse than a filler episode sometimes (Broli trilogy).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:41 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm confused, do you mean the series in widescreen or just the movies?
Also, I know the movies were made with widescreen in mind, but why the "of course"?
Because the films (Z 1-13 + DB 1-4) are available in 4x3 AR so he's saying they should be in widescreen as that was given to be the intended aspect ratio for them, instead of FUNimation cropping it themselves they should just release Dragon Box: The Movies subbed (inc. English dub due to being required, I think) and be done with it.

The film singles which are in 4x3 AR serve to be a novelty of what they looked like uncropped and for this reason they're quite cool, but honestly I just can't stand most of the films 'cause they're worse than a filler episode sometimes (Broli trilogy).
It's not like they did a poor job cropping it, and it still doesn't answer my question. I know they were made with widescreen in mind. I clearly stated it, but with 4x3, you're getting more footage at the top and bottom.

I enjoy Movie 10.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:12 pm

As far as the original TV series for DBZ is concerned, I'm done. The Dragon Box is all I need for that.

I still have to get the rest of the franchise, though. I've been waiting for Funimation to release Dragon Boxes for DB, GT and the movies. If they don't, I can look forward to getting the current releases for dirt cheap. :D

I'm also waiting for Funimation to put out the Buu saga for Kai before I begin getting that series.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 am

I would buy the remaining Level sets if FUNi ever picked that release back up. Localized versions of the Dragon Ball, GT, and Movies Dragon Boxes would interest me too, but beyond those I have everything I set out to collect. I have every North American release except for the Blu-ray Seasons.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 am

As far as DBZ goes I am done. I have my perfect release and those are the FUNi Dragon Boxes. If FUNi would hurry up and release Dragon Boxes for DB, DBGT & the movies I'll buy them. I also need to buy Kai & Battle Of Gods.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:46 am

I am more of a manga guy for Dragon Ball, but I still love watching the anime and I probably won't stop till Kai or New Movies are released. I don't really care for 4:3 Dragon Ball Dragon Box or GT because Hulu Dragon Ball is good enough for me and I just don't care about GT that much to be honest. DBZ in 4:3 would be nice though and I probably would buy it.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:23 am

I am done with Z, but I would buy the dragon boxes for dragon ball, Gt and the movies simply out of subtitle convenience. I'm not going to waste my money on some 'new and improved' funimation release.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:00 am

hulkty wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:Never.

Honestly why stop now. I have all the Pioneer/Funimation singles for Z, all the Orange Bricks, all the Dragon Boxes (US), and currently 5 seasons of the new Blu-Ray (Unwatched)... and all of Kai on Blu-Ray.

Other:
Dragon Ball Collection 1 and 2 (All volumes in two big sets) (Also have all the individual covers if I ever want to split them up into 2 disc sets)
Dragon Ball GT Bricks and Dragon Ball GT Singles
DBZ Films Singles + Remastered Box Set
Is this simply for collection?...
Why buy so many copies of the same thing?...
If its art, then just look at the pictures online...
Mainly for collection yes, but each one has a different option or change;

DBZ Singles: 4:3 with American Music + Japanese Audio
Dragon Boxes: 4:3 with best Picture Quality (but no American Music)
Orange Bricks: 16x9 Option with American Music + Japanese Music + Awesome Marathon Mode option.

Dragon Ball GT Singles: Japanese Opening and Closing Credits + Original Logo
GT Bricks: Well, I bought those first.

Kai: Totally different.

As for the films, all the singles are in 4:3, and the remastered sets are 16x9. I like to have both options so what ever mood I am in, I can choose which format I want to watch.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:17 am

For Dragon Ball Z, I own the US Dragonbox in its entirety, as well as all four season sets for Kai on BD. So I'm set for DBZ already minus for Buu Kai. I'm planning on getting Buu Kai whenever FUNimation releases it in season sets, although it would be more for completion's sake than anything, since I'm not really enjoying Sumitomo's music so far.. I wish they would've just kept the old Kikuchi score instead. Since I own Kai on season sets, that means I have the all the episodes with the Kikuchi score. Suddenly changing from Kikuchi to Sumitomo would be jarring, especially since I think Kikuchi's best stuff was during the Majin Buu saga. It'll probably get these sets whenever they all come out and probably when it's some kind of deal. I'm not in a hurry to get them. I can always watch the Buu saga with Kikuchi's score with my Dbox DVDs after all.

Aside from the TV series, I actually only own a few of the movies. But I haven't gotten the rest because I'm still holding to a sliver of hope that the Dragonbox Movies will come out sooner or later. Odds are against this ever happening, but I'm still hoping.
Same for Dragon Ball and GT actually. I'm still hoping to one day get a US release of the Dragonboxes for these two series. So FUNimation, if you want any more of my money, get the damn Dragonboxes for DB, GT and the movies already. Otherwise, forget it. I'm not interested in anything else.

I also plan on getting Battle of Gods on BD whenever that comes out, and the inevitable release of the new movie coming out next year, but I'm sure we won't get any kind of release in the US until at least 2016 for the newest movie coming out.

So all in all, I'm still planning on getting more Dragon Ball-related releases. But it all rests on whether FUNimation wants my money or not. :D

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:02 am

Whenever I'm able to get a color corrected 4:3 release of DB - GT w/ movies.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:41 am

I never thought I'd say it, but I think I'm almost done. The only things I plan to buy for the foreseeable future are the Japanese Kai Majin Buu arc Blu-rays (if they are confirmed to be the Japanese broadcast versions), FUNi's Kai Final Chapters Blu-rays, FUNi's BOG blu-ray, and, of course, any home releases of new movies that come out. Other than that, I don't plan on re-buying anything unless they come out with some crazy spectacular release (which I don't really see happening) or unless FUNi releases more Dragon Boxes.
Last edited by Freeza Soldier #156 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:12 am

Being newer to the franchise, I haven't double dipped a single time. I'm fine with DVD, since I don't even have Blu-Ray.Despite my location, I only use R1 DVDs. Same with Video Game equivalents.

I have:

-All 5 Dragon Ball Seasons
-All 4 Dragon Ball Movies (Movie Pack)
-All 9 Dragon Ball Z Seasons
-Both Dragon Ball Z Specials (Double Feature)
-All 13 Original Dragon Ball Z Movies (Movie Packs)

My confirmed plans include:

-Dragon Ball GT: The Complete Series (Both Seasons repackaged, also contains the Special in Season 2)
-All 4 Seasons of Dragon Ball Z Kai

Tentative plans include:

-Home Release of Extended Dragon Ball Z Movie 14
-Home Release of Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters.
-Any other Movies that come out
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:16 pm

I think I'm done. Last was Dbox and Rock the Dragon. Now I'm just gonna get used DVDs

funrush

Post by funrush » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:16 pm

I was in a tough spot financially when the boxes rolled around, so the only one I was able to grab was DBOX2 (I'm super glad that's the one I picked, seeing the absurd prices it goes for now). So I'm still waiting for that decent enough release to roll around or a reissue of the boxes or something. If they released DB and GT boxes I wouldn't buy them, the DB bricks are pretty decent and the differences between the GT bricks and the GT box are so minute you would have to be looking for them or know every inch of both. I'm waiting for this disaster to finish up before I buy Kai, because I wanna make sure I'm buying a consistent release and get tricked by all the stuff with music and "international versions" and so on.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:39 pm

funrush wrote:I was in a tough spot financially when the boxes rolled around, so the only one I was able to grab was DBOX2 (I'm super glad that's the one I picked, seeing the absurd prices it goes for now). So I'm still waiting for that decent enough release to roll around or a reissue of the boxes or something. If they released DB and GT boxes I wouldn't buy them, the DB bricks are pretty decent and the differences between the GT bricks and the GT box are so minute you would have to be looking for them or know every inch of both. I'm waiting for this disaster to finish up before I buy Kai, because I wanna make sure I'm buying a consistent release and get tricked by all the stuff with music and "international versions" and so on.
Not only are the Blue Bricks zoomed in but they also are missing Japanese credits, NEPs and all the OPs/EDs.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:46 pm

DNA wrote:I bought Funimation's Dragon Boxes a few years ago. For me in terms of Z that's it, I've got all I need.

For everything else I'm still waiting for a Dragon Box treatment since it seems nothing got a decent release, original, GT, Kai or movies.
Same here. I have my Z Dragon Boxes and I don't plan on purchasing anything else Dragon Ball related unless it's the rest of the Dragon Boxes or Funi actually releases the new material we don't have (EOB, JSAT, BOG, etc).

I was contemplating buying Kai when the Buu Arc finished, but that's an entirely different disaster that I no longer want any part of.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:49 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Not only are the Blue Bricks zoomed in but they also are missing Japanese credits, NEPs and all the OPs/EDs.
Well, obviously OPs and EDs are still there. The alternate animations are missing, however.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean all exactly.

It has Ver. 1 OP and ED Ver. 2 missing the OP Ver. 2 and ED Ver. 1/3/4.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray