Who is the greatest villain in the entire series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thatdbzguy
Banned

Re: Who is the greatest villain in the entire series?

Post by thatdbzguy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:23 pm

King Piccolo. He was intimidating, he was developed, and he was fun.

Freeza was too underdeveloped and boring. We never even found out what kind of alien race he was.

Cell is the absolute worst villain I have ever seen in any work of fiction. Absolutley boring, absolutely stupid, absolutely horribly written. Care Bears has better villains.

Buu is okay.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:26 pm

I'm going with Garlic Jr. As both greatest, and stupidest , like King Piccolo, he managed to get everything he wanted, immortality, world domination, and then screw it up by using only technique that could beat him.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Man, there goes thatdbzguy again. Self-loathing. Better watch I say about him this time though that'll be hard.

Anysway, I say Vegeta.

Freeza is too archetypal (he's a well-written villain but still very archetypal), Cell is great at first but he loses his lore (though not entirely) as he reaches his goal , and Majin Boo is just a dumb villain in general.

Vegeta, on the otherhand, was awesome through
and though. He was a total elitist douchebag but had the power and charisma to back it up. I mean, remember how Nappa was shown to be legit afraid of him? Imagine watching/reading the series first time:

This big muscle-bound dude is booting the entire Z-Senshi across the wasteland with little effort and he's scared of that shrimp?

There's also his callous treatment of his own party members. Nothing's more detestable than a villain who treats his own crew like garbage and only keeping them for rep. Just when you start to believe he is all hot air, he also shows to be quite sly and calculative. Well demonstrate when he went Oozaru and throughout most of the Namek Saga where he forges an alliance with Gohan and Kuririn, showing he'll go as far as to manipulate others to bind towards his whims. Last and not least, his fiery will. Goku, Gohan, and Kuririn were practically throwing everything they have at him but he kept thrugging through. No regeneration, accelerate healing, or other cheap-ass powers thrown in for the tension. Just 100% unadulterated badassery.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:47 pm

I would say Freeza. Of all the villains, he did the cruelest things.
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Man, there goes thatdbzguy again. Self-loathing. Better watch I say about him this time though that'll be hard.
What's wrong with his post? He said his opinion just like you said yours.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:50 pm

Chaozu.

I first saw him, fifteen years ago; I saw that there was nothing left; no reason, no conscience, no understanding; and even the most rudimentary sense of life or death, of good or evil, right or wrong. This six-year-old child, with this blank, pale, emotionless face, and the blackest eyes... the devil's eyes. I spent eight years trying to understand him, and then another seven trying to avoid his scenes because I realized that what was living behind that boy's eyes was purely and simply... evil.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:55 pm

Someone's been watching Holloween to much! :lol: :lol:

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:00 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:What's wrong with his post? He said his opinion just like you said yours.
An opinion which he based on what others have said.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Cell was great imo, wanted to reach his peak and take on challenges. Similar to Toguro from YYH minus the backstory and other stuff
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Frieza. Every time anyone got a power up(up until goku's super saiyan transformation) and looked like they had a chance of defeating frieza, frieza just powered up more and crushed them. No matter how strong the cast got, Frieza topped it. Goku came in and was the strongest he'd ever been and looked like he had a chance against Frieza, Frieza had some fun with him for a little while, then got bored and decided to use HALF of his power and wiped the floor with goku. Goku's kaioken times 20 barely even had an effect. Frieza was the end all, be all villain at the time.
Neo died for our smiths.

mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdonough88 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:18 pm

Freeza, he's like the Green Goblin, he made them suffer so much in such a little amount of time.
He was the only one that was genuinely evil and had real motives.

Cell is THE WORST! boring, rushed and 'I want to be strong type of guy'... ugh.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:23 pm

Piccolo Daimao and Freeza. I love how Piccolo set the tone for the series and was awesome how he took over the planet. I love how he planned things out and took out all fighters. He indirectly killed a lot of people.

Freeza was so awesome. Destroyed the Saiyan race like a boss who scared. His mannerisms and overall personality is just jaw dropping. Love all his forms with the 3rd design being my favorite and Final form for plot. He's a straight asshole and one of best villains in fiction. Since everyone else mentioned their worst. I'll just list my list of best

1. Piccolo/Freeza
2. Freeza/Piccolo
3. Tambourine
4. Raditz/Vegeta
5. Cell
6. Ginyu Force
7. RRA
8. Roshi sister henchmen beside Gohan
9. Pilfar gang
10. Babidi and his majin gang
11. Gero and the cyborgs
12. Zarbon
13. Dodira
14. Kiwi
15. Cold
16. Tao
17. Majin Boo
18. Beerus (anthologist not villain)
19. Nappa
20. Saibamen
21. Chazou
22. Crane Hermit
23. Avacado
24. Random Freeza soliders
25. Ten.

1-6 = Good, great, Excellent
7-12 = Average
13- 19 = horrible
20-25 = Fuck you why did Toriyama or Toei put you I'm series.

Please note:
List doesn't include movies and GT.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:02 am

I think Freeza because I love his personality, his background, and how pretty much everything on Saiyan origins tied right back to him (Excluding SSJ God). If you include minus, it was his coming that had Goku sent away, kicking off the events of Goku's time on earth.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Bebi. To me he had the most complexity to his motivations over most of the other villains.

Cell. To an extent, his first and super perfect form highlight his best and most sadistic moments.

Android No. 20. To an extent. He was flanderized in GT but he was pretty intimidating when with No.19

Omega Shenron is probably my favourite. Hes personality, and reason to exist are perfectly executed, his power ups were logical and made sense. His powers also fit his character. Only flaw was the terrible fight he was given.

Freeza. To an extent as well. He had the most personality of all the villains, and his hatred of his enemies was thorough, it was solid, it made sense. Though some of his actions are questionable, but only by my nitpick. Like him killing Krillin over Gohan even after he knew he was part Saiyan.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:26 pm

I think the most popular choice has to be Freeza, since he's the most iconic villain. And I share the same opinion, he's the greatest villain in the series. Cold, ruthless, intimidating and intelligent. Piccolo Daimao comes in a close second, with Cell in third place. Buu gets points for being an unusual and interesting villain. I wish Tao Pai Pai had more screen time. Beerus and Vegeta are great characters, but not villains, in the literal meaning of the word.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:30 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Cell is the absolute worst villain I have ever seen in any work of fiction. Absolutley boring, absolutely stupid, absolutely horribly written.
I have to agree there. Cell become VERY underwhelming after he absorbed 17.

Personally I find Kid Buu to the the greatest. He didn't give a shit about anything.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:53 pm

Codarik wrote:Personally I find Kid Buu to the the greatest. He didn't give a shit about anything.
Yeah I agree mostly about Kid Boo. But like I said I feel his charm wears off once you realize that King Piccolo kind of did it first and set the tone for truly evil badguys for the series. King Piccolo was just as ruthless, he just wasn't as powerful as Boo obviously. Plus Kid Boo was pretty erratic and mindless which to me makes a great chaotic villain, but not a great cool-headed villain aka someone who is articulate in his work like Freeza, Cell, King Piccolo, and other villains in the series.
Last edited by Luke Groundwalker on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:12 am

Cell is my greatest villain because he is powerful, evil, cruel, creepy, etc and wants to be the strongest of all ( power is one of the main elements of DB ). And the fight he had against Kakarotto was epic and my favorite of all.

Pure Boo is my second. Is a crazy villain with incredible strength and stamina, didn't give a shit about anything and I like a lot that he is a speechless guy.

I like Raditz because he is the first Saiyan to appear and looks evil.

I like Android Nº 20 ( Dr. Gero ). That old man has something scary.

I like Super Nº 17. A villain with potential.

Yi Xing Long. Horns everywhere and is super powerful. For me, it makes sense that he exist, appearing in a right time.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:32 am

Character-wise: Broly for style.
Overall: Baby. He was the better Cell I think.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

CordonBloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by CordonBloo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 pm

If we're not counting Vegeta, it's gotta be Freeza! He has more development than any other villain, and more relevance to the plot in the grander scheme of things. He was more twisted in his ideals and methods, and more flawed as a character than Cell and Boo were. Cell was very robotic in his attitudes, and Boo was just an entity of pure evil. Freeza was a spoiled brat who never had to work for any of his power, and always got his way. What I love about Freeza is that he never learns, he was given multiple chances by Goku but always ended up betraying him.

I do however think Cell is not as bad as people make him out to be. His obsession with completion and perfection gave us two completely different extremes to his character; cocky, showy and overconfident versus desperate and suicidal. It's quite sad really, his sole purpose to exist is to fight and be the best.

Boo is interesting to me as well, but mainly because I love the concept of how he is a magical entity that copies powers and traits from other lifeforms.

I do love Pilaf though, BotG really reminded me of how hilarious he is as a character...
CORDON BLOO TO THE RESCOO!

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jollyr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:02 am

Its a really hard choice but I think the androids, 17 and 18 were some of the scariest and most devastating. That whole saga and the story of the future is just like the bleakest point the series could hit and its really emotional. Like watching the Trunks movie and seeing a world where everyone's dead and Gohan's an awesome character...then dies. Its sad and raw. And I like that they were created by a member of the Red Ribbon Army, it's a cool way to tie them to the history of the characters and sort of shows the consequences of actions, much like Frieza and his saga. And then it all leads up to cell and I just think the Android/Cell sagas were some of the best of the whole series