The Mystery of Time Travel (DBO, Jaco, and XV)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

The Mystery of Time Travel (DBO, Jaco, and XV)

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:56 pm

So, I want to clarify the means of using the time travel in the Dragon Ball manga. Because in the future where Gokû died from heart virus, and the Artificial Humans wrecking havoc all over with most of the fighters dead with no hope of having revived them, Bulma created the time machine to have Trunks traveled to the past to change the history by giving Gokû the medicine to cure him of the disease. After the Cell arc, he was never seen again. And then came DBO where Trunks was seen again, this time he became the Time Patrol because he broke the law of using time travel, so Kaiojikan commissioned him to do his bidding to prevent anyone from using Time Travel without Kaiojikan's permission. All of this seemed to link to Jaco the Galactic Patrolman manga in that it's stated that the use of time machine is forbidden under the Galactic laws. Do I get it right?

If so, does everything happen because of Kaiojikan? Was he the one establish the Galactic law? Do all Patrolmen, including Jaco, work for him? Does that mean Trunks will have the eternal youth, since Kaiojikan controls time, and that he might want to keep Trunks for a long time?
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: The Mystery of Time Travel (DBO, Jaco, and XV)

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:33 pm

Ruling over time does not mean he has omnipotence. Hell, it doesn't mean he can even alter the flow of time at will. Kaio-sama rules over the galaxy and he can't destroy it or alter it as he pleases. It's possible that all the patrolmen work for him. It's possible he rules over all 12 universes, or maybe just this one. Either way, I highly doubt he's going to get brought up again.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:54 pm

I like the idea that the Earth is such a backwoods hick planet that they can accidentally break time travel laws.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:09 pm

Pretty much.

Dragon Ball (Series)
  • Trunks uses a time machine built by his mother to travel to the past in search of help defeating the Artificial Humans.
  • We learn time travel causes split timelines in order to prevent a paradox.
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
  • The Galactic Patrol is an organization the seeks to protect the universe and is overseen by the Galactic King.
  • We learn that while time travel is possible, it has also been ruled illegal via the Intergalactic Law of the Galactic Patrol.
  • Anyone who breaks this law is banished (from their planet).
Dragon Ball Online
  • The Kaiojikan is the god who oversees time in the universe (presumably just #7).
  • The progression of events in the game's backstory could imply he may exist outside of the normal flow of time.
  • Trunks is confronted by the Kaiojikan for breaking the Intergalactic Law on time travel.
  • In lieu of being punished, the Kaiojikan recruits Trunks to help him stop the threat of Miira and the Time Breakers, so he forms the TIme Patrol.
  • The Time Breakers are an evil group that seek the destruction of the universe via overloading the Time Storage Vault with split timelines.
  • Prior to his recruitment, Miira stole the Time Passport, a device which is implied to allow the user to travel through time without being tracked.
  • Time travel via normal time machines can be tracked, as Trunks uses a machine to find the Time Breakers when they jump timelines.
Dragon Ball Xenoverse
  • This game borrows concepts from Dragon Ball Online, but there isn't enough evidence to see if everything above applies. So far:
  • Unlike DBO, where his headquarters is West City, we're told Trunks runs the Time Patrol from Timetropolis/Toki Toki City; a city in the sky.
  • The Kaiojikan may live near this city as we see the "planet" with the Time Storage Vault in the background of one of the screen shots for the game (or maybe it's Trunks's house in this game?).
  • Oh, we get confirmation of what the Time Storage Vault looks like.
  • Possibly more, we know little about the game...
As for the follow-up questions, we can speculate like everything else in the series, but we don't have enough information to really clarify everything.

Personally, I prefer to think that after he'd been at his job for a while and noticed that the vault fills up when someone time travels while not using his passport, the Kaiojikan just reached out to the Galactic King and told him to prohibit time travel for the safety of the universe. I also don't see Trunks having eternal youth or anything. I mean, he can already solve a lot of problems since he can travel through time. It's not like he needs to live forever so that he can fix problems in the future, he can just time travel to them...

I would like to be the first(?) to throw out there that, assuming their hijinks didn't go overlooked, I believe that even if the Galactic Patrol sent someone to to try and punish Senbe, Arale and the gang for using the Time Slipper, they'd regret the trip...
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:42 pm

Interesting! Have an image of Miira and Time Breakers ever been shown? Did they reveal the backstory of Miira in DBO? I recalled there was one mystery person related to Miira?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:00 pm

My signature has links to all the DBO content me and my fiance have translated. You can check them out and read up on pretty much everything important that we know and that you'd probably want to know. As for picture, We've had pictures of Miira forever.

You can check out the various TIme Breakers (there are a lot of them) by browsing Hector's Deviantart gallery. The enemies in that organization are labeled, so Ctrl+F and searching "Time Breakers" shoudl quickly get you to all of them.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:08 pm

Uh... I've always imagined Miira to be female. :?

Anyway, thanks for answering my questions. You deserve a couple of cookies.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:13 pm

Well, Towa, his wife and partner in crime is (obviously) female...

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:34 pm

I find it interesting how much love time travel as a concept is getting with the expanded lore Toriyama is coming up with for the series. Definitely some interesting ideas that I hope someday get better clarification on.

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:53 pm

Doctor. wrote:Ruling over time does not mean he has omnipotence.
I guess it depends on what his duties are. For example, if he studies various events in various timelines, especially those he intends to alter, he could appear to be omnipotent due to his knowledge of when everything is going to happen. He could have a conversation with you in Age 950, and then if you travel to the Age 230 and talk to him, his past self could already be aware of his future self's conversation with you and knew you were coming so he picks up where he left off.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:56 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Ruling over time does not mean he has omnipotence.
I guess it depends on what his duties are. For example, if he studies various events in various timelines, especially those he intends to alter, he could appear to be omnipotent due to his knowledge of when everything is going to happen. He could have a conversation with you in Age 950, and then if you travel to the Age 230 and talk to him, his past self could already be aware of his future self's conversation with you and knew you were coming so he picks up where he left off.
If he were able to do that, then he wouldn't ask Trunks to help him stop Miira.

Or he could have supreme time control and just be lazy... which wouldn't be a stretch considering Toriyama.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Doctor. wrote:I guess it depends on what his duties are. For example, if he studies various events in various timelines, especially those he intends to alter, he could appear to be omnipotent due to his knowledge of when everything is going to happen. He could have a conversation with you in Age 950, and then if you travel to the Age 230 and talk to him, his past self could already be aware of his future self's conversation with you and knew you were coming so he picks up where he left off.
If he were able to do that, then he wouldn't ask Trunks to help him stop Miira.[/quote]
This is actually why I suggest that the DBO backstory implies he could exist outside of the normal flow of time, because he appears to be having conversations with various characters in an order that doesn't exactly make chronological sense. As things stand with who knows what when they interact, it seems as though: Miira, from sometime after AGE 1000, steals the passport and then travels back in time to start causing chaos. The Kaiojikan talks with the Namekian Elder Muri about Miira before the Time Breakers arrive to destroy New Namek in AGE 851. With Miira being a threat to the entire universe, the god basically blackmails Trunks into helping him (presumable because he's just not powerful enough to stop Miira on his own) sometime a little before or around AGE 790(? It's supposed to be Trunks not too long after we last see him in the manga).