Would A BOG-era Toriyama-supervised GT Manga Work?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Would A BOG-era Toriyama-supervised GT Manga Work?

Post by NeoKING » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Lets say for the DB franchise anniversary, a GT manga starts running in V-Jump or something. After all, popular franchises suddenly getting manga for series that ended decades ago isn't unheard of (ie. many Gundam manga, Fist of the North Star, GTO, etc.). However, it's supervised by BOG-era Toriyama. That is, many of the things seen in the original GT anime would be retconned into something chock-full of gags. For instance:

- The reason the Ultimate Dragon Balls blow up the planet they were used on in a year is because Beerus won a bet with the Original Namekian who created the original Dragon Balls to create a set that would make his job easier (similar to how the destruction of Planet Vegeta was retconned into Freeza taking care of it for Beerus);

- The design of Baby being inspired by Jaco the Patrolman who probably visited Planet Tsuffle in the past;

- Dr. Myu being so hell-bent on his Galaxy Subjugation Operation because his mad scientific genius was deemed to dangerous by the Kaioshin and they kicked him out of celestial academia; thus, his plan at revenge was by creating his own God of Destruction, Lood (when in reality, Baby was pulling the strings);

Can't really think of anything for the S17 and Evil Dragon Sagas for now, but how do you think such a thing would fare?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Would A BOG-era Toriyama-supervised GT Manga Work?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Super 17 would never work if Toriyama is apart of it since villains don't keep their bodies in Hell. Personally to me, GT is a thing in the past and I rather see new ideas instead. Just have GT be an alternate timeline to the anime and manga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Super 17 would never work if Toriyama is apart of it since villains don't keep their bodies in Hell. Personally to me, GT is a thing in the past and I rather see new ideas instead. Just have GT be an alternate timeline to the anime and manga.
There are things in Dragon Ball that would never work if Toriyama is apart of it and yet they still exist.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:50 pm

NeoKING wrote:similar to how the destruction of Planet Vegeta was retconned into Freeza taking care of it for Beerus
That never happened...

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
NeoKING wrote:similar to how the destruction of Planet Vegeta was retconned into Freeza taking care of it for Beerus
That never happened...
Taken from the beginning of BoG:

Beerus: "I'm curious Whis, while I enjoyed my all-too brief slumber, did that upstart Freeza manage to eradicate planet Vegeta for me? [..] Ah, good to hear it. I could've given the bumbling upstarts on that planet an eternity to shape up, they'd still be nothing but trouble."

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:20 pm

To be fair it may sound as Beerus just hoping that he won't have to deal with it personally. Like going home on Friday evening, dreaming that someone got there earlier, cleaned the bathroom, moped the floor and baked the cake, so you can sit and relax instead of doing chores. But since you didn't ask anybody to do it, you will probably see dark windows, two days old soup and vacuum cleaner staring at you from the corner :mrgreen:
(My goddes, I hate retcons.)
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:05 pm

The Shadow Dragons is the only thing in GT that would work in Toriyama's world of Dragon Ball since it's not based on other ideas from Toei. It's the only saga in GT that's original in my opinion. The Black Star Dragon Ball arc felt like it was trying to rehash the original Dragon Ball and the Bebi saga felt like it was rehashing Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans and the Saiyan saga. Don't get me started on Super 17.
She/Her

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:05 pm

I don't see any trouble with Super 17 and his body as I see a lot bigger trouble with Dr. Myu and Gero having a lab and constructing stuff in hell?!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:12 pm

So long as SSJ4 is kept, id be all for it.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:13 pm

MCDaveG wrote:I don't see any trouble with Super 17 and his body as I see a lot bigger trouble with Dr. Myu and Gero having a lab and constructing stuff in hell?!
How can they make a #17 in Hell if they are soulless ghost if we go by the Manga's version of Hell?
She/Her

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:I don't see any trouble with Super 17 and his body as I see a lot bigger trouble with Dr. Myu and Gero having a lab and constructing stuff in hell?!
How can they make a #17 in Hell if they are soulless ghost if we go by the Manga's version of Hell?
Yeah I know and even if they will pull this s**t off, how can they manage a biotechnological equipment to create cyborg warriors in hell.
That for me is more rudiculous in hell, than the manga version of steam fluffs not working.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Ashelia
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ashelia » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:22 am

Honestly I don't think some of the inconsistencies would even register as an issue. If Toriyama wants GT premises to fit into the manga, he'll jam them in there whether it makes sense or not, he'll probably even add in more confusion and somehow that would be fine with tons of fans. So as for how would it work? It just would, we're not making it so consistency is irrelevant.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:22 am

Someone want to clear something up for me?

I don't really get Dragon Ball hell

It's said right before Vegeta blows himself up his soul would be clensed and then reborn into someone else... sooo what's the deal? Why there be a hell if everyone just keeps getting cleaned and reborn into someone good?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:41 am

No, it won't work because Toriyama has basically negated GT by saying that Goku will no longer transform beyond SSJ1 and by making the Pilaf gang young. I also think FoF is going to end up contradicting Freeza's appearance in GT.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Not to mention Gohan can still go Mystic while he never transform Mystic in GT. Not even against Rildo, Super 17 and Super Yi Xing Long.
She/Her

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Not to mention Gohan can still go Mystic while he never transform Mystic in GT. Not even against Rildo, Super 17 and Super Yi Xing Long.
You say that, but don't forget that in BoG Gohan went SSJ until the fans let Toei know over Twitter that he "shouldn't" be able to do it. I'd imagine that if Twitter was around when GT aired, the fans would probably have more power to change the way GT went as well.

Someone on here had a pretty accurate sig saying how a lot of the plotholes in GT get ragged on but by the same token plotholes in BoG get glossed over because it was "Toriyama-supervised."

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Sure it could "work," but it'd require a heck of a lot of revision, especially if it were to fit in with Battle of Gods and other such new post-series stuff.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

MajinAsura

Post by MajinAsura » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:47 pm

NeoKING wrote:
- The reason the Ultimate Dragon Balls blow up the planet they were used on in a year is because Beerus won a bet with the Original Namekian who created the original Dragon Balls to create a set that would make his job easier (similar to how the destruction of Planet Vegeta was retconned into Freeza taking care of it for Beerus);
Okay, I like this idea. Like, a lot.
My pet peeves:
People who spell Broly "Brolli"
People who call Beerus "Bills"
People who think that super Saiyan 4 Gogeta is coming back for Fukkatsu no F
People who think Broly can kill ssj3 Goku
People who hate Gohan in the Buu Saga
People who think Broly could kill FREAKIN' BEERUS

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:51 pm

The Shadow Dragons would be similar what we got in GT if Toryiama supervised GT. My idea could be that Kami created negative energy in the Dragon Ball in fear that humans would find ways to over them. The dragons would have different designs and personalities then we saw in GT. The wishes that they were born from could be different too.
She/Her

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Shen Long & his ultimate form wishes
Dragons
Guy wishes for a kingdom to rule over ---> High Minus Energy (Minus Lv 5)
Panty Wish ---> Low Minus Energy (Minus Lv 2)
Level 7 = ressurects dragon
2./3.
Piccolo wishes for youth, kills Shen Long ---> very High Minus Energy (Minus Lv 5)
Freezer gets ressurected ---> very High Minus EnergyDragon (Minus Lv 5)
Baby wishes for Planet Plant ---> very High Minus Energy (Minus Lv 5)
Level 15 = ressurects dragon that reflects the villain's cruelty and power and one that is the exact opposite as contrast, both way stronger than the others
=> Yi Xing Long tainted by Piccolo, Freezer and Baby (DB, DBZ, DBGT)
=> Nova Xing Long purified by Goku
Piccolo's victims are ressurected ---> Moderate Minus Energy (Minus Lv 3)
Cyborg victims are ressurected, 17 and 18 get their bombs deactivated ---> High Minus Energy (Minus Lv 4)
Level 7 = Dragon
Tapion gets freed in a very fitting movie ---> Low Minus Energy (Minus Lv 2)
Shen Long is summoned in his ultimate from other Dragon Balls
but still as the Piccolo/Kami-made dragon to shrink Goku, very high Minus energy (Minus Lv 5)
Level 7 = dragon ressurected
Goku asks for the Super Saiyajin God ---> Low Minus Energy (Minus Lv 2)
Earth is restored ---> very High Minus Energy (Minus Lv 5)
Level 7 = dragon is ressurected
17's victims are supposed to be ressurected with broken Dragon Balls
---> collects more Minus Energy for a 7th one and the 7 dragons awaken
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"