New Bruce Faulconer interview from this past March

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

New Bruce Faulconer interview from this past March

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:28 pm

http://speakhertz.com/6813/interview-br ... oundtracks

I don't recall seeing this posted here before. If it has, then please feel free to delete this thread VegettoEX. This was from this past March. The interviewer did a great job, it's interesting though that he STILL doesn't give credit to the students that worked for him.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: New Bruce Faulconer interview from this past March

Post by voltlunok » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:50 pm

Gotta admit that I'm a little happy he pretty much dodged the question about him not doing the GT music. I think it's best for all sides that drama just be swept under the rug.

Overall this was a fun read. Thanks for the post! :D
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:22 pm

Interesting. I'd bet I'd like GT a whole lot more if he stayed though.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks for the link. I don't think I've read an interview with him regarding his DBZ work before. Sounds like GT is a touchy subject.. such a shame too, the current American music for it is just doesn't fit the show at all.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:10 pm

2nd best selling manga?.

Which is the first time? if he means japan, it is one piece right? (bleh) but worldwide, which is it?
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:00 pm

Black_Liger wrote:2nd best selling manga?.

Which is the first time? if he means japan, it is one piece right? (bleh) but worldwide, which is it?
It's One Piece on a worldwide scale, as well. 345,000,000+ copies sold worldwide, versus 230,000,000+ for DB, and 200,000,000+ for Naruto.

Sources:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -worldwide
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... y-outlined
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... ide/.80771

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:24 pm

On the subject of American composers, i also found an interview from a couple of months ago with a guy called Ron Wasserman (who worked on a few 90s Saban shows) where he pretty much admitted he completely composed the score to shows like "Power Rangers", "X-Men" and the first Ocean dub for DBZ. I was slightly suspicious since "Kussa Mahehi" (Saban's founder) and Shuki Levy (the supposed composer for the first Ocean dub) were credited on SO many 80s/90s cartoon soundtracks, like 10 a year in the 90s or something. It seems a lot of the DBZ scores (in both Japan and America) have had issues regarding who's gotten credit for such and such.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:40 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:2nd best selling manga?.

It's One Piece on a worldwide scale, as well. 345,000,000+ copies sold worldwide, versus 230,000,000+ for DB, and 200,000,000+ for Naruto.

Sources:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... -worldwide
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... y-outlined
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... ide/.80771
I'm glad Naruto ended than, call me spiteful, but I don't want it to overtake Dragon Ball :P
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:23 pm

voltlunok wrote:Gotta admit that I'm a little happy he pretty much dodged the question about him not doing the GT music. I think it's best for all sides that drama just be swept under the rug.

He didn't dodge it at all, he basically said he didn't do it because they wouldn't give him enough money.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:31 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
voltlunok wrote:Gotta admit that I'm a little happy he pretty much dodged the question about him not doing the GT music. I think it's best for all sides that drama just be swept under the rug.

He didn't dodge it at all, he basically said he didn't do it because they wouldn't give him enough money.
Yes he said 'they weren't going to pay me enough' but the Faulconer GT music thing is a much bigger mess then just that. Some interviews with him try to use it as a hot button question and Faulconer will usually just say 'they weren't gonna pay me enough' and then move on cause he doesn't wanna drag up the drama from that time.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:08 pm

I really love Ron Wasserman's score for Dbz. It really sets the tone right. I love the droning sound and how dark and heavy it was. If the script was accurate, is argue that it would hold a candle to the original Japanese.

I still think it was such a waste of talent to get rid of amazing talent. Such a waste.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:17 pm

Attitudefan wrote:I really love Ron Wasserman's score for Dbz. It really sets the tone right. I love the droning sound and how dark and heavy it was. If the script was accurate, is argue that it would hold a candle to the original Japanese.

I still think it was such a waste of talent to get rid of amazing talent. Such a waste.
I don't think FUNi necessarily got rid of him, i think he just couldn't keep composing new music for the show since he was employed by Saban at the time and they severed all ties with FUNi once Season 2 ended. He seems like the kind of person that would want to keep making music for the show, even if it meant less money.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:17 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote:On the subject of American composers, i also found an interview from a couple of months ago with a guy called Ron Wasserman (who worked on a few 90s Saban shows) where he pretty much admitted he completely composed the score to shows like "Power Rangers", "X-Men" and the first Ocean dub for DBZ. I was slightly suspicious since "Kussa Mahehi" (Saban's founder) and Shuki Levy (the supposed composer for the first Ocean dub) were credited on SO many 80s/90s cartoon soundtracks, like 10 a year in the 90s or something. It seems a lot of the DBZ scores (in both Japan and America) have had issues regarding who's gotten credit for such and such.
Wow that's a really interesting and insightful interview. Especially the part about doing the DBZ score and making it super dark and heavy in retaliation to the kid friendly/light hearted stuff he'd had to do.

Wasserman sounds like the type of guy I could relate to and it sucks that the kids TV industry seems to hate or have a fear of using rock music, I always did wonder why there was a lack of it.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:32 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Kakacarrottop wrote:On the subject of American composers, i also found an interview from a couple of months ago with a guy called Ron Wasserman (who worked on a few 90s Saban shows) where he pretty much admitted he completely composed the score to shows like "Power Rangers", "X-Men" and the first Ocean dub for DBZ. I was slightly suspicious since "Kussa Mahehi" (Saban's founder) and Shuki Levy (the supposed composer for the first Ocean dub) were credited on SO many 80s/90s cartoon soundtracks, like 10 a year in the 90s or something. It seems a lot of the DBZ scores (in both Japan and America) have had issues regarding who's gotten credit for such and such.
Wow that's a really interesting and insightful interview. Especially the part about doing the DBZ score and making it super dark and heavy in retaliation to the kid friendly/light hearted stuff he'd had to do.

Wasserman sounds like the type of guy I could relate to and it sucks that the kids TV industry seems to hate or have a fear of using rock music, I always did wonder why there was a lack of it.
It's because old men executives know what kids like and how it affects them.

I hate that way of thinking. Some people are just violent for the sake of being violent.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:47 pm

I like rock music as much as the next person but couldn't one argue that it's orchestral music that kids TV industry seems afraid of?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:03 am

ABED wrote: I like rock music as much as the next person but couldn't one argue that it's orchestral music that kids TV industry seems afraid of?
Not entirely...I know Kamen Rider and Super Sentai use Orchestral music a lot. Usually to emphasize a dramatic moment or add gravity to a villain. I remember in Kamen Rider Kiva, Saga's introduction where he basically hangs the monster (A kids show!) The music had a large orchestral/opera feel to it. I think it's just in the US, we have issues with kids shows now need to be bright, flashy and keep the kids attention or they'll move onto the next thing out of boredom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vG0xphgZaI Said moment with Saga. Music is a little quiet but it's there.

Small Edit! There are some American kids shows that use Orchestral music rather well but they are aimed at a more older kid audience. First shows that come to mind are Young Justice, The new (And sadly cancelled) Thundercats cartoon and Justice league.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:36 am

ABED wrote:
I like rock music as much as the next person but couldn't one argue that it's orchestral music that kids TV industry seems afraid of?
I wouldn't really call the music Wasserman supposedly made for Dragon Ball Z "rock". I mean in the end it was just as orchestral as the Japanese version music, the only real difference being that it also added synth elements and random guitar riffs. The score was orchestral and lighthearted just like the music used in any other Saban show, although obviously it felt much darker since "dark" is what Wasserman had in mind when he made the music. Faulconer and his team's score on the other hand is just kind of like Wasserman's except without the orchestral element (although in the Babidi saga i recall they started adding orchestral stuff to great effect).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:00 am

Maybe his answers would be more nuanced if the interviewer had followed up, but one of his answers made it seem like a studio's decision to go with an orchestral score instead of a rock-based score meant they didn't understand how important music is to a film or TV show.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.