Chikao Ohtsuka (Tao Pai Pai) Passes Away at 85

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Chikao Ohtsuka (Tao Pai Pai) Passes Away at 85

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:18 am

via ANN

I had at first completely forgotten about him having played Tao, being much more familiar with his work as Goemon in the Lupin III franchise, but as soon as I remembered that role, I decided to check and see if anyone had posted about it here yet. He was also Gold Roger in One Piece, Eggman in Sonic the Hedgehog, and Big Boss in the Metal Gear franchise, amongst a long resume of other roles.

Like I said, I mainly know him for his Lupin role, and admittedly it wasn't one of my absolute favorite performances in the franchise...but his contribution to the characterization of Goemon is undeniable. What I can remember of his Tao was impressive as well, having brought the first truly overpowering villain in the series to life excellently. Godspeed Mr. Ohhtsuka, you'll be missed.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Chikao Ohtsuka (Tao Pai Pai) Passes Away at 85

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:21 am

:cry: Dr. Eggman-Sama will never be the same.....no one else could do that laugh.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:38 am

Now the voices of the characters from Mutaito's era are all gone... I'm so sad. Otsuka was one of my favorite seiyuu.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:45 am

Very sad. My introduction to him was through the Japanese version of Sonic X, and I heard in him in a number of other roles that I liked. He was so skilled at both dramatic and comedic roles. May he rest in peace.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:47 am

Valerius Dover wrote::cry: Dr. Eggman-Sama will never be the same.....no one else could do that laugh.
I have to agree. It's a shame to see a lot of great voice actors who work on anime during the Showa era starting to die out :(. I also thought Ohtsuka did a good job on Tao Pai Pai.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:48 am

Eggman will never be the same again. Rest in peace, Mr Ōtsuka. Rest in peace.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 am

Yes, I was not expecting such terrible news. This has been one of the more hard-hitting deaths out of this past year or so to me, as I'm very familiar and fond of his work. Many of the characters he was still involved with just won't be the same. Rest in peace.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:01 pm

NOOOOO!!!!

I will miss him. He truly was one of a kind.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:03 pm

This is a big one. This one hits hard.

Just like with my Dragon Ball DVDs, I immediately switch my Sonic The Hedgehog games to the original Japanese track when I play them. I've been listening to Ōtsuka as Dr. Eggman for years. And of course, Goku and Arale VS TaoPaiPai is one of my all-time favorite fights in the series. I've watched those scenes more times than I can count. He was also Piemon and Apoclymon in Digimon Adventure, one of my favorite shows.

"Gran Death Big Bang!"

Such a loss, but what a legacy. I'll cherish the various Dragon Ball episodes/movies/games he was a part of, along with the rest of his work. RIP.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

goku262002

Post by goku262002 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:28 pm

I didn't know him soo much as Tao, but I knew him as Dr. Eggman and Dr. Weil (From Megaman Zero).

Jesus this is just stunning, I knew he was getting up there in age but I didn't think he'd pass soo soon. Oh man...

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Aw not him too. :(

I never heard Sonic in Japanese (I did watch a few Sonic X eps in Japanese but not much) since the English dub (SA, SA2, S06, SC, SG, SLW) felt like what was the 'original' language of it and so I don't feel like it'll change anything for the English Dr. Eggman's. It does kinda suck they replaced the original Sonic VA with someone else, but he's pretty good and I've gotten used to his Sonic so it's all right.

Toei's gonna have to do a recast sooner or later but it's important that Masako, Horikawa and Furukawa are kept as long as possible (unless they decide to retire or health issues) because they're just irreplaceable. :)
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Man this is tragic. :(

I don't think we will ever find another who could voice Tao Pai Pai or Dr Eggman like he did.

RIP.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:53 pm

Oh, man. ._. Rest in peace, Chikao Otsuka. You will be sorely missed.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Wow, I've never seen Sonic or the RRA episodes in Japanese, but this guy was also Dr. Weil from Mega Man Zero, and Jinpachi Mishima, 2 of the most memorable final boss fights I've had in years of video gaming. R.I.P.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:26 pm

Damn, that really sucks. He was an absolutely fantastic actor.

He will be sorely missed. At least Akio Ōtsuka will be carrying his name for many years to come still.

RIP.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Damn... Tao Pai Pai. R.I.P to the world's greatest assassin.

On my Birthday too... :problem:
Last edited by DarkPrince_92 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:19 pm

This is a sad day indeed. :(

R.I.P Chikao Ohtsuka, You will be missed.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:59 pm

It's worth noting that I think Sonic Boom (or Sonic Toon in Japan) may be Chikao Ohtsuka's last role that he voiced, which was released last month. A real shame that game may end up being his final work...

At any rate, it's really disheartening to hear about his passing. He was a very talented voice actor and I've gotten to hear him in various roles over the years. I think my favorite role of his that I liked would absolutely have to be Eggman. Having been playing the games in Sonic in Japanese since around 2000 or 2001 (as well as being my first exposure to him), I grew to really like his voice, as well as his iconic "Ohohoho!" laugh that he did in the role. To me, he was always Eggman, despite the great efforts made by Mike Pollock and the rest. It's going to be very strange hearing Eggman in the future without Ohtsuka handling him, especially since the new voice actor will definitely have a tall order to fill.

I give my best regards to his friends and family, as well as all the people who have worked with him all over the years. May he rest in peace.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:13 pm

Never could get used to the Sonic games in Japanese, but know the feeling as after Deem Bristow passed away wasn't sure about good Eggmans. Nothing against Mr. Pollack, but Mr. Bristow made that role. Same in regards to Jim Cummings and the late Long John Baldry. (They made those roles their own as well, but different from the Eggman we know nowadays). Didn't know he was Tao Pai Pai. RIP.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:15 pm

RIP Chikao Ohtsuka.
Thank you for your hardwork.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.