Would you mind if Toriyama ditches the Final Chapter & Uub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Would you mind if Toriyama ditches the Final Chapter & U

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: I like how you cut out the part about Evolution, which was a movie that was released worldwide, and is generally considered to be one of the worst things to come out of Dragon Ball, and yet it didn't kill the franchise.

GT was an entire series that is panned by many, and it didn't kill the franchise.

Bio-Broly didn't kill the franchise.

An Uub movie isn't going to drive anyone away.

The "Dragon Ball" name is enough to get people to see it at this point.
It did in terms of live action.

That explains why we had to wait for over 10 years to get something new.

It was released alongside the manga and anime so of course it didn't.

It will.

People are seeing it cause we're getting good stories but if we got some of the "good" stories that fans want it'll probably go down hill.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:56 pm

sintzu wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: I like how you cut out the part about Evolution, which was a movie that was released worldwide, and is generally considered to be one of the worst things to come out of Dragon Ball, and yet it didn't kill the franchise.

GT was an entire series that is panned by many, and it didn't kill the franchise.

Bio-Broly didn't kill the franchise.

An Uub movie isn't going to drive anyone away.

The "Dragon Ball" name is enough to get people to see it at this point.
It did in terms of live action.

That explains why we had to wait for over 10 years to get something new.

It was released alongside the manga and anime so of course it didn't.

It will.

People are seeing it cause we're getting good stories but if we got some of the bull**** that fans want it'll probably go down hill.
Riiiiight. So, in summation, none of what are considered to be the worst things to come out of the franchise were able to drag it down, but if anything focused on Uub comes out, then Dragon Ball is going to burn. Makes sense.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Where does the whole "Side-Stoy=NoT CanNon" idea come from anyway? Do people not know what a side-story is?
Some fans seem for whatever reason so starved for an official ordainment of what stories matter, that they read into every possible line that might possibly in some interpretations maybe imply some sort of non-explicit confirmation or denial of a story counting or not.
Kakarot9001 wrote:Is that supposed to be a joke? Because if it is, I'm not laughing
No, it's not a joke. I'm trying to illustrate the asininity of your criteria. If "contains contradictions to the manga" is a sufficient condition for being a side story, then any story arc with contradictions or inconsistencies would need to be labelled a side story. That causes problems.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Riiiiight. So, in summation, none of what are considered to be the worst things to come out of the franchise were able to drag it down, but if anything focused on Uub comes out, then Dragon Ball is going to burn. Makes sense.
We didn't get anything new in terms of animation for over 10 years yet you say Gt didn't hurt the series ?

We'll probably never get another live action movie yet you say Evolution didn't hurt the series ?

How does that even make sense to you ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:06 pm

sintzu wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Unless Toriyama makes Uub the star (or co-star) of a movie or story arc, he is doomed to have the same role as his GT counterpart or modern day Gohan.
Keeping both of them on the side is the best thing he can do.
Nah. I honestly believe Uub can be developed into a great and memorable character. As it is, he is heavily unexplored; he's basically a blank slate waiting to be filled. The little we do know about him is already pretty exciting to me. He's the reincarnation of the toughest foe (with the most awesome abilities ever) that Goku faced. He also comes from a large, yet poor family, which is something that already separates him from the rest of the cast, which either grew in solitary or affluent environments.

It would be a real shame if he's dumped to the sidelines like the rest of the cast. It would also be a shame if the moment he does appear, he's already fully trained and has reached the capacity of his potential. This is just my personal opinion, but I would love for him and the newer members to be explored in a new movie or arc. For example, a movie showcasing his training with Goku and interaction with all the characters he's just recently met, and leading to him being the hero fighting the main bad guy, preferably by learning about and tapping into the magical and physical powers of Kid Buu. Imagine, an unassuming and shy human realizing he can distort his body like putty. It's hilarious.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:07 pm

sintzu wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
We didn't get anything new in terms of animation for over 10 years yet you say Gt didn't hurt the series ?

We'll probably never get another live action movie yet you say Evolution didn't hurt the series ?

How does that even make sense to you ?
The series was over. That's less "GT killed the franchise" than it is "let's move on to new stuff now. Dragon Ball is getting stale." Toei has other brands besides Dragon Ball, you know. You can only keep serialized shows going so long before they get old.

Not really. Dragon Ball wasn't really any worse off after Evolution than it was before Evolution.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Zephyr wrote:No, it's not a joke. I'm trying to illustrate the asininity of your criteria. If "contains contradictions to the manga" is a sufficient condition for being a side story, then any story arc with contradictions or inconsistencies would need to be labelled a side story. That causes problems.
The only asininity that I found is your trying to diss the manga by saying that the RR Arc was a side-story, do you have any proof of that? I was saying before if Toriyama plans to do a new animated series ignoring Uub and the EoZ as a whole, it would be considered filler or just a side-story

Super SaiyaJon
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super SaiyaJon » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:11 pm

In the Red Ribbon Army arc, the dragon balls are used to revive Bora less than a year after the last use. This should be impossible, because the dragon balls are unusable for one whole year after their last use. It's a big contradiction.

EDIT: At least I think that's what he's refering to.
Last edited by Super SaiyaJon on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kakacarrottop wrote: That's the problem with the "Dragon Ball" fanbase, it's too divided. There's "FUNimation fanboys", "Kai fanboys", "Ocean fanboys", "Japanese fanboys", we need to stop attacking each other and realize we're all fans of the same thing.
Saiga wrote:Gandalf: Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?

Goku: Yes, actually.

Gandalf: Oh. Neat.

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Super SaiyaJon wrote:In the Red Ribbon Army arc, the dragon balls are used less than a year after the last use. This should be impossible, because the dragon balls are stones for one whole year untill after their last use. It's a big contradiction.
It's not implied that, they used after 12 months and a half

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:15 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:
Super SaiyaJon wrote:In the Red Ribbon Army arc, the dragon balls are used less than a year after the last use. This should be impossible, because the dragon balls are stones for one whole year untill after their last use. It's a big contradiction.
It's not implied that, they used after 12 months and a half
No, it was something like 8 months. A blatant contradiction to the year-between-wishes rule.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:18 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:No, it's not a joke. I'm trying to illustrate the asininity of your criteria. If "contains contradictions to the manga" is a sufficient condition for being a side story, then any story arc with contradictions or inconsistencies would need to be labelled a side story. That causes problems.
The only asininity that I found is your trying to diss the manga by saying that the RR Arc was a side-story, do you have any proof of that? I was saying before if Toriyama plans to do a new animated series ignoring Uub and the EoZ as a whole, it would be considered filler or just a side-story
I didn't argue that it was a side story. I'm trying to show you that from the rule you seem to have of "contradiction of manga = side story" it necessarily follows that the Red Ribbon Army story arc would thus be a side story. Because it contradicts the manga. Any story arc in the manga that features a plot hole or contradiction would be victim to this as well.

Therefore, you need to find a different criterion on which you can base your desire to consider these new films to be side stories.
Super SaiyaJon wrote:In the Red Ribbon Army arc, the dragon balls are used to revive Bora less than a year after the last use. This should be impossible, because the dragon balls are unusable for one whole year untill after their last use. It's a big contradiction.

EDIT: At least I think that's what he's refering to.
Right on the money.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:26 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:
shinmaru wrote:Would you mind if Toriyama ditches the final Chapter & UUB to continue DBZ? I wouldn't mind because it doesn't fit with BOG & ROF already. There is too much happening for the final chapter to make sense. And UUB isn't that interesting I wouldn't care if they sacrifice him for new DBZ and make him a part of a alternative universe, GT universe.
Are you serious? How BoG and FnF contradicts the final chapter?

Oh, I get now... Because of the huge power boost of both Goku and Vegeta

My mistake does not feel that way for me, but It fits if they lose or ditch the God ki before EoZ.

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:28 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:No, it was something like 8 months. A blatant contradiction to the year-between-wishes rule.
Where is said that was 8 months?

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Kakarot9001 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:No, it was something like 8 months. A blatant contradiction to the year-between-wishes rule.
Where is said that was 8 months?
Gaffer Tape explains it very well. Skip to 2 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA0OtahWwpg

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:51 pm

Nop, I don't like retcons.
Though I would like in the "last" movie, they ended up showing clips from EOZ and added the Kazenban ending, where Goku gives nimbus to Uub and remembers his childhood. That would be epic.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:56 pm

About the Red Ribbon/eight months thing, couldn't four months have passed (offscreen) between the end of the tournament and the next chapter?

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:59 pm

I would mind since I like the idea of Son Goku getting his own student in the end. The Kanzenban ending was actually a good retcon (minus the Vegeta part at the end) with the image of Uub riding kinto'un like Goku did. It all makes the story seem like a complete coming of age tale.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:43 pm

Yes, the final chapter was great. Abandoning any chapter wouldn't sit right with me. I don't see why there's a need to contradict anything when there's lots of room in the timeline to make dozens of movies and spin offs.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Payne222
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Payne222 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:35 am

I would mind, yes. That's the ending of the series...why would he "ditch" it? BoG and RoF fit in the time gap that happens at the end of chapter 517. If he's going to continue the series with movies or an anime as if he would've continued the manga, I'd imagine he'd incorporate the 10 year time skip at the end.
「あの地球人のように?・・・クリリンのことか・・・クリリンのことか————っ!!!!!!」

「オレは地球からきさまをたおすためにやってきたサイヤ人・・・おだやかな心をもちながらはげしい怒りによって目覚めた伝説の戦士・・・超サイヤ人孫悟空だ!!!!!」

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:13 am

At this point I don't care anymore. They can do whatever they want. My Dragon Ball is the manga, and the "new movies" are the same as the old movies. Mediocre movies with mediocre stories. I'm done.