Is Dragon Ball becoming too soft?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is Dragon Ball becoming too soft?

Post by rereboy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:29 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:"Is Dragonball becoming too soft?"

*Freeza nukes a city in Fukkatsu no F*

You tell me.
Nappa cutting Tenshinhan's arm in half is hundreds of times more shocking and "hard" than a villain firing a laser and buildings disappearing in a ball of light. That kind of thing can even be silly, kind of Arale style.
Mystic Tien wrote:
Still both Usopp and Zoro are more buffed than they were before time-skip (if we don't count some special techniques of Zoro which made him more buffed during the fight). So I disagree that everyone looks more skinny now. And I also disagree that characters becoming skinnier in new DBZ movies has something to do with One Piece. Oda is a fan of Toriyama, not the other way around.

And while it is most common appearance of Chopper, it is not his real one. Here is his real and original one -
You purposely misrepresented their look to make them appear bigger and with more muscle than they normally appear. I corrected you. That's all.

And I specified that it was showing their normal and most common look, and that's what I used for Chooper.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:35 am

rereboy wrote: You purposely misrepresented their look to make them appear bigger and with more muscle than they normally appear. I corrected you. That's all.

And I specified that it was showing their normal and most common look, and that's what I used for Chooper.

Well, I posted the actual screenshots from anime, so I won't call it as being misrepresented. This was how Zoro was actually portrayed in Fishman Island. Usopp was shown buffed for a comedy indeed, yet it still happened otherwise. And finally it doesn't matter if it is his original form or not, because he is a reindeed anyway, but in one of his forms Chopper has muscles, so all my examples were legit, don't see any problems with them.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:39 am

Mystic Tien wrote:

Well, I posted the actual screenshots from anime, so I won't call it as being misrepresented. This was how Zoro was actually portrayed in Fishman Island. Usopp was shown buffed for a comedy indeed, yet it still happened otherwise. And finally it doesn't matter if it is his original form or not, because he is a reindeed anyway, but in one of his forms Chopper has muscles, so all my examples were legit, don't see any problems with them.
You cherry picked them. As in, you picked the screens that benefit your argument, not the ones that most correctly represent them. You even picked one for Ussop that is essentially a gag scene...

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:43 am

rereboy wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:

You cherry picked them. As in, you picked the screens that benefit your argument, not the ones that most correctly represent them. You even picked one for Ussop that is essentially a gag scene...
Why does it matter though? Every episode is drawn by different people anyway, so all characters look different in them. In one scene Zoro was shown buffed, so I posted an image with him. What is a problem with it? It is not like Toei was always consistent with it, and Toriyama also always changes his art style. Usopp was shown in a gag scene to be like that. But it was the whole point of time-skip for Usopp to train and make his "fat" become muscles. And whenever it was gag scene, or not it happened otherwise.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:45 am

The problem is, obviously, that you were intentionally misrepresenting them to benefit your argument. If you don't see the wrong in that, there is no point in continuing the discussion with you.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 am

rereboy wrote:The problem is, obviously, that you were intentionally misrepresenting them to benefit your argument. If you don't see the wrong in that, there is no point in continuing the discussion with you.
If what you are trying to tell me is that they don't always usually look like that, then I agree. But they don't always look like your examples either, because these are not character designs, but screenshots from anime, and one is painted picture from manga.
Marco Polo wrote:

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:56 am

Mystic Tien wrote:
If what you are trying to tell me is that they don't always usually look like that, then I agree. But they don't always look like your examples either, because these are not character designs, but screenshots from anime, and one is painted picture from manga.
Unlike you, I used images that correctly represent the most normal and common appearance for them, even when considering the manga. Instead, you chose exceptions to represent their appearance and, not surprisingly, you chose the exceptions that benefited your argument, not the exceptions that would go against your argument. Like I said, I just corrected you.

Anyway, this discussion is now redundant, so I'll leave this particular discussion here.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:00 am

again case closed

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:00 am

rereboy wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:
Unlike you, I used images that correctly represent the most normal and common appearance for them, even when considering the manga. Instead, you chose exceptions to represent their appearance and, not surprisingly, you chose the exceptions that benefited your argument, not the exceptions that would go against your argument. Like I said, I just corrected you.

Anyway, this discussion is now redundant, so I'll leave this particular discussion here.
But my examples were also legit, as the form of Chopper that I has shown was the actual form from the actual series. The same about Zoro, he was shown to be buffed in Fishman Island, don't see any problems with it. As for Usopp, yeah, it is a gag scene, yet he is still more buffed now than he ever was. My initial argument was about a lot of characters from One Piece being buffed anyway, and that it doesn't have anything to do with Toriyama's style changing and him making characters more skinnier than they were before, so I agree, let's leave this particular discussion here.
Marco Polo wrote:

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:05 am

Mystic Tien wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:
nope they were not

But my examples were also legit, as the form of Chopper that I has shown was the actual form from the actual series. The same about Zoro, he was shown to be buffed in Fishman Island, don't see any problems with it. As for Usopp, yeah, it is a gag scene, yet he is still more buffed now than he ever was. My initial argument was about a lot of characters from One Piece being buffed anyway, and that it doesn't have anything to do with Toriyama's style changing and him making characters more skinnier than they were before, so I agree, let's leave this particular discussion here.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:55 am

uh, guys? If you want to show buffness shouldn't you use Manga panels to do so? Since the author actually drew those
Rocketman wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:Oda has stated that he thinks of Dragonball as the embodyment of childhood dreams, and is striving to make his series MANLY
So he's completely delusional.
Nope.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:18 am

jcogginsa wrote:uh, guys? If you want to show buffness shouldn't you use Manga panels to do so? Since the author actually drew those
Rocketman wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:Oda has stated that he thinks of Dragonball as the embodyment of childhood dreams, and is striving to make his series MANLY
Nope.
I already has shown pic of Pica from manga. Here is Jesus Burgess
Hajrudin
Franky
Don't remember the names of all these guys, lol, but they are Colloseum Contestants, one of them has a very strong punch that destroyed everyone in arena
King Riku
Bobby/Kelly Funk, or whatever his name is
Orlumbus
Last edited by Mystic Tien on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco Polo wrote:

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:31 am

the jesus burgess pic isn't showing for me

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:uh, guys? If you want to show buffness shouldn't you use Manga panels to do so? Since the author actually drew those

Nope.

I already has shown pic of Pica from manga. Here is Jesus Burgess
Hajrudin
Franky
Don't remember the names of all these guys, lol, but they are Colloseum Contestants, one of them has a very strong punch that destroyed everyone in arena
King Riku
Bobby/Kelly Funk, or whatever his name is
Orlumbus
dont you get it? ...u showing chracters that are not representative for this Manga.

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:36 pm

tx3 wrote:
dont you get it? ...u showing chracters that are not representative for this Manga.
Franky's a main character.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:48 pm

jcogginsa wrote:
tx3 wrote:

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:59 pm

I don't understand. He's showing you a good number of characters from the manga, drawn by Oda, that are buff and muscular. Some were even main chracters. How are they not representative of the series?

I don't even understand the point of this. Oda has a wide range of his style. One Piece has a lot of different body types (Except when it comes to women). There are a lot of muscular characters in the series.

(And you keep posting these huge ass pics without spoilers)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:02 pm

tx3 wrote:
jcogginsa wrote:
tx3 wrote:
... I can't tell if the facepalm is at my statement or you acknowledging your mistake

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:08 pm

nevermind it's all good

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:45 pm

jcogginsa wrote:the jesus burgess pic isn't showing for me
I fixed it. Thank you for notice.
Marco Polo wrote: