Gohan: Why must he continue to Disappoint ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ParkerAL
Regular

Re: Gohan: Why must he continue to Disappoint ?

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:33 am

The Tori-bot pretty much decisively answered this thread in the second post.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Sedorna wrote:
tx3 wrote: so gohan is a spoiled kid? ...and goku had to fight his whole life makes gohan even more unsympathetic

Kid goku had to fight strong enemys too like picoole and never bitched out like gohan.

Gohan is bitch made ..while Goku is a Hero.
Gohan hates to fight ...what really?
Goten love to fight ...real worthy of being Gokus son.

case closed
Gohan is an ordinary kid. (Aside from his special powers, that is.) Goku is the special one, a wild child. Plus, Goku was 16 when he fought Piccolo, and 19 when the fight with Ma Junior (the Piccolo from Z) happened. By the time Gohan was 16, his defeat of Cell was several years in the past.

Can you really say that Goten loves to fight? It seems to me that Goten likes doing what Trunks does, and since Trunks loves to fight, so does Goten. Plus, Chi Chi is willing to accept Goten's fighting a lot more than Gohan's. And Goten doesn't like fighting by the end of Z. Both Goku and Vegeta complain that their sons, Goten and Trunks, would rather chase girls than train.

I do wish that Gohan had continued to train after the Cell Games, but not because fighters are better than scholars. It just would have been nice to make him a bit more well rounded. Mental health is important, but so is physical, and they can work together nicely.
I'm pretty sure Trunks didn't love fighting that way either and it was mostly cuz of Vegeta.
you both wrong

dalome

Post by dalome » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:04 pm

Gohan was almost a toddler when he started fighting.

Goten and Trunks like to fight, but they never lived the same kind of fight Gohan had.
Goten and Trunks lived their childhood In the love and the happiness.
And their fight were only games.
Except buu who was not the scariest bad guy ever, they never fought anyone scary.
And even against buu, they were never hurt like Gohan.
And they were seven And eight while Gohan was five on namek.

Do you know how many times Gohan was badly hurt And almost died only the year he was five?
He was bleeding from everywhere after his fight against Vegeta.
He got his spine broken against Recoom,
He almost got his head crushed by Freeza.
Goten and Trunks got almost nothing. Even their death was painless.

And what Gohan saw was a lot worse. Between watching people turned into candy And watching namekian kids or elders being killed is not the same.

And Goku was the weird wild kid. No. He was already a teenager.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:34 pm

bleed0range wrote:So why does everyone act like his character has to take the place of Goku?
That's not really it. Plain and simply, I don't like how he was written after the Cell games. I don't like that they had him "stop training." I don't like his personality. I don't like his character design. Despite that, I sort of started liking him again when he got cool powers, but he does nothing with them, they later strip them from him, and he becomes even more of a pansy later on. His design is even more godawful now (though he does look okay w/o glasses in FnF).
Well, his rage boosts were pretty much phased out already so it doesn't really matter. That hasn't been a thing since the Cell arc and that was now like what 1993?
Exactly. But why?!
Goku/Vegeta were always bound to surpass Gohan at some point. Those guys never stop trying to be stronger.
Gohan's potential was so much greater than both, that shouldn't have even mattered. By the Buu saga, Vegeta had JUST reached the level of strength Gohan had 7 years prior. Put that into perspective.

And even though I don't like older Gohan, by the end of the Buu saga, Gohan powers skyrocketed to the point he could prob do similarly to SSJ3 Goku at the time what Beerus did to him later.
I think I get what everyone is really upset about though. They want Gohan to be more of a main character again and they're upset he is falling into the background like the humans did at some point.
Honestly, even if he was a star, they buried him too deep. I don't think I'd like him to have a lead role; I don't like older Gohan. My gripe comes from what they changed him into after the Cell games. lol
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:15 pm

If they're gonna make him a scholar, than have him do some scholaring.

Like in Yo!, when he coaches Goten and Trunks, or Movie 13 where he sees through Hildegarn's foggy-teleport thing. There's ways to use him without stripping away all his uniqueness and tossing him in as another body to get chumped/cheer Goku on.

ss4songoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ss4songoku » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:22 pm

They really did Gohan a terrible injustice in the new movies. In BOG despite still having ultimate powers he is taken down in like two seconds where as Vegeta puts up a much better fight as a mere Super Saiyan. Isn't Gohan with his ultimate power up supposed to be far stronger at that point? In RF it appears to be even worse, Gohan no longer has that power up and can only fight as super saiyan. I just don't understand why Gohan is nerfed like this. I don't want him to e the main character or anthing but at least give him some credit.

dalome

Post by dalome » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:54 pm

You know what?

I don't really care about the new official stuff.

In all the un official stuff, the fan made manga, Gohan is often great.
Multiverse, new age, youngjijii.

For me, everything made now by Toei or AT has as much weight as the fan made material.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:04 pm

Rocketman wrote:If they're gonna make him a scholar, than have him do some scholaring.

Like in Yo!, when he coaches Goten and Trunks, or Movie 13 where he sees through Hildegarn's foggy-teleport thing. There's ways to use him without stripping away all his uniqueness and tossing him in as another body to get chumped/cheer Goku on.
This so much. Everyone is always thinking we're clamoring to Gohan being a main character, but that isn't what we want. We just want some respect. That's all. However in the punch happy series, there is no respect for any role he takes. If he's a scholar, they do nothing with that point. If he's a father, they aren't really gonna develop or do anything with that angle. If he's a fighter, then they have him job to whoever without any respect. Hell you can job and still save face, but they don't do that.
ss4songoku wrote:They really did Gohan a terrible injustice in the new movies. In BOG despite still having ultimate powers he is taken down in like two seconds where as Vegeta puts up a much better fight as a mere Super Saiyan. Isn't Gohan with his ultimate power up supposed to be far stronger at that point? In RF it appears to be even worse, Gohan no longer has that power up and can only fight as super saiyan. I just don't understand why Gohan is nerfed like this. I don't want him to e the main character or anthing but at least give him some credit.
They constantly screwed him since the Boo saga. Not cause he lost main character status, but how they went about it. Goku still coulda been the one to beat Boo there with the Genki Dama, and we coulda had Gohan and Gotenks helping out in a proper written scenario. There is nothing to gain for stripping Gohan's Ultimate state, but they do it anyways, most likely to not have him confused with Goku & Vegeta. People seriously wonder why we think he's getting screwed? Probably cause they all think main bad guy kill means better character or respect, when it doesn't.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

tx3
Beyond Newbie

Post by tx3 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:36 pm

because gohan sucks ...sorry to say so ..he is in no way an worthy character to end the Dragonball saga ...it's good how it is.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:55 pm

tx3 wrote:you both wrong
This is not an appropriate post. You have been consistently rude, indignant, and off-topic.

Further posts of this type will be subject to account strikes. Please review the community guidelines, which you agreed to (twice) before registering, prior to making any further contributions.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:42 pm

tx3 wrote:because gohan sucks ...sorry to say so ..he is in no way an worthy character to end the Dragonball saga ...it's good how it is.
Your opinion, not a fact. If you don't have anything worthwhile to discuss, then by all means be on your way. I mean when I hate something entirely like pretty much everything to do with Sonic now a days, I just leave since I have nothing good to add. It's fair to be more negative than positive, but posts like these do not contribute much. You made your points in the previous pages, and if you have nothing to add beyond "He sucks" then there's no point in you conversing on this topic.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:48 pm

Gohan was a nerd, always was and always will be, its who he really is. The only reason he ever entered fighting is due to forces beyond his control throughout most of early Dragon Ball Z stuff, the point in which everyone likes to make him out to be a "Bad Ass Mofo". When in actuality he was only ever useful when he got pissed off, never won a fight on his own merits but because of his rage boost & hidden potential combo. Once the rage fadded away, he got swated away like a fly (minus his fight with Cell). So yeah, all this "G0hahn iz dur shizz!" crap is basically a bunch of head canon & fanfiction that exists in peoples minds from the two minutes of his genuine coolness when he offed the Cell Jrs without any effort that has very little actual basis in the story itself.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:01 pm

Sure, Gohan's arc as a fighter is over, but that doesn't mean that Goku has to come over to Earth and protect the people when he said at the end of the Cell saga that he doesn't wanna be wished back and entrusts Gohan. I think that's one of the reasons why many people have that mindset, cuz they want the next generation(Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Videl) to take over. It can't be all about Goku or Vegeta all the damn time.

I believe the children are the future, teach them well ad let them lead the way. Show them all the power and ki they possess insiiiide!

Sedorna wrote:
I do wish that Gohan had continued to train after the Cell Games, but not because fighters are better than scholars. It just would have been nice to make him a bit more well rounded. Mental health is important, but so is physical, and they can work together nicely.
Exactly. Why can't Toriyama have Gohan juggle between training and school? He can train everytime he's done studying.

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Yamcha was kind of a joke since the beginning. I loved him as a bandit afraid of women, but then... things went downhill.
FINALLY somebody else says it besides me. And people wonder why the Yamcha jokes exist, even when some folks only watched Z. :lol:
Last edited by EXBadguy on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:05 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Sure, Gohan's arc as a fighter is over, but that doesn't mean that Goku has to come over to Earth and protect the people when he said at the end of the Cell saga that he doesn't wanna be wished back and entrusts Gohan. I think that's one of the reasons why many people have that mindset, cuz they want the next generation(Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Videl) to take over. It can't be all about Goku or Vegeta all the damn time.

I believe the children are the future, teach them well ad let them lead the way. Show them all the power and ki they possess insiiiide!
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Yamcha was kind of a joke since the beginning. I loved him as a bandit afraid of women, but then... things went downhill.
FINALLY somebody else says it besides me. And people wonder why the Yamcha jokes exist, even when some folks only watched Z. :lol:
Obviously the children are not the future as they quit fighting relatively quickly, Gohan at least does it because it doesn't go with his personality (plus his Ultimate gives him a perma boost so he's fine), Videl loses all of her drive after Spopovich beats her and Goten & Trunks quit because they're lazy little bastards. With a next gen like that its no wonder Goku wanted Kid Buu revived so he can hopefully get some one who'll do the job right.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:10 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:Sure, Gohan's arc as a fighter is over, but that doesn't mean that Goku has to come over to Earth and protect the people when he said at the end of the Cell saga that he doesn't wanna be wished back and entrusts Gohan. I think that's one of the reasons why many people have that mindset, cuz they want the next generation(Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Videl) to take over. It can't be all about Goku or Vegeta all the damn time.

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Obviously the children are not the future as they quit fighting relatively quickly, Gohan at least does it because it doesn't go with his personality (plus his Ultimate gives him a perma boost so he's fine), Videl loses all of her drive after Spopovich beats her and Goten & Trunks quit because they're lazy little bastards. With a next gen like that its no wonder Goku wanted Kid Buu revived so he can hopefully get some one who'll do the job right.
Meh, the Buu saga is and ALWAYS will be the bad curse of Z. It made the story go downhill and it made Toriyama not give a damn anymore, but I do believe that he wanted Gohan to be the main character of the Buu saga and have Goku stay dead for eternity.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:16 pm

EXBadguy wrote:

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Meh, the Buu saga is and ALWAYS will be the bad curse of Z. It made the story go downhill and it made Toriyama not give a damn anymore, but I do believe that he wanted Gohan to be the main character of the Buu saga and have Goku stay dead for eternity.[/quote]

No arguments from me about the Buu Saga sucking :D

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:20 pm

It's outright stated in the manga that the Mystic ritual removed Gohan's soft nature and unwillingness to fight.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:26 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Gohan was a nerd, always was and always will be, its who he really is. The only reason he ever entered fighting is due to forces beyond his control throughout most of early Dragon Ball Z stuff, the point in which everyone likes to make him out to be a "Bad Ass Mofo".
It's not so much that people made him out to be a "bad ass mofo," but they figured he'd transition into one, and he somewhat did in the Cell Games, even though there was no build up to his role as savior (it could have been handled better, I know).
When in actuality he was only ever useful when he got pissed off, never won a fight on his own merits but because of his rage boost & hidden potential combo.
Well, he was the one who finished off Vegeta in his great ape form. And even if he was only useful when he unleashed his hidden potential (let's not use this "rage boost" bullshit), that's still part of the character. That's his power, which he didn't know how to control yet. So yeah, it sort of foreshadowed the warrior he would become and did in the Cell Games.
Once the rage fadded away, he got swated away like a fly (minus his fight with Cell). So yeah, all this "G0hahn iz dur shizz!" crap is basically a bunch of head canon & fanfiction that exists in peoples minds from the two minutes of his genuine coolness when he offed the Cell Jrs without any effort that has very little actual basis in the story itself.
This was the point in the story when he finally tapped into that hidden potential he displayed throughout the series. We had seen it for a long time, and he was finally in control of it, which he used to make Cell his bitch. He let his advantage go to his head, and paid the price by watching his father sacrifice himself because of his mistake. After this, they could have developed his character further, and made him stronger, not just physically, but mentally. Instead, since then, they've made SSJ2 and rage boost a thing, stripped this character of everything that ever made him unique, and have ruined his character design further and further. Goten is probably comparable in strength to him, nowadays.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:33 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Gohan was a nerd, always was and always will be, its who he really is. The only reason he ever entered fighting is due to forces beyond his control throughout most of early Dragon Ball Z stuff, the point in which everyone likes to make him out to be a "Bad Ass Mofo".
It's not so much that people made him out to be a "bad ass mofo," but they figured he'd transition into one, and he somewhat did in the Cell Games, even though there was no build up to his role as savior (it could have been handled better, I know).
When in actuality he was only ever useful when he got pissed off, never won a fight on his own merits but because of his rage boost & hidden potential combo.
Well, he was the one who finished off Vegeta in his great ape form. And even if he was only useful when he unleashed his hidden potential (let's not use this "rage boost" bullshit), that's still part of the character. That's his power, which he didn't know how to control yet. So yeah, it sort of foreshadowed the warrior he would become and did in the Cell Games.
Once the rage fadded away, he got swated away like a fly (minus his fight with Cell). So yeah, all this "G0hahn iz dur shizz!" crap is basically a bunch of head canon & fanfiction that exists in peoples minds from the two minutes of his genuine coolness when he offed the Cell Jrs without any effort that has very little actual basis in the story itself.
This was the point in the story when he finally tapped into that hidden potential he displayed throughout the series. We had seen it for a long time, and he was finally in control of it, which he used to make Cell his bitch. He let his advantage go to his head, and paid the price by watching his father sacrifice himself because of his mistake. After this, they could have developed his character further, and made him stronger, not just physically, but mentally. Instead, since then, they've made SSJ2 and rage boost a thing, stripped this character of everything that ever made him unique, and have ruined his character design further and further. Goten is probably comparable in strength to him, nowadays.
He didn't beat Vegeta, Vegeta beat himself by not firing the Destructo Disk at Gohan from a better spot, because of that he got crushed by him and essentially ruined his chances of winning right then and there. But its kind of a moot point if the post above yours rings true and his Mystic ritual really did remove any mental blocks he had, so yeah, it can be chalked up to bad writing from that point forward.

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Rocketman wrote:
But it's ok for Vegeta to suddenly show that at age 50 or so?
Vegeta be on some midlife crisis shit.