How should characters sound

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

How should characters sound

Post by jcogginsa » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:54 am

What do you think are the character traits that a voice actor most needs to pull off for any particular character? Basically, if you were casting what would you look for.

Note, answers like "Sounds like Nozawa" or "Sounds like Nakao" are not valid. If there's someone who you feel nails a character 100 Percent, think about what makes that performance good and post that. Though you should leave out things like nostalgia, as that's not replicable.

This isn't limited to the Japanese cast either. These kind of traits could also be used as a guide for the dubs casting as well.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: How should characters sound

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:22 pm

Piccolo - Smooth, stern
Goku - Slightly Canadian and laid back (yes i subscribe to the English take on the character)
Tullece - Like Goku but more raspy
Recoome - NOT like Chris Sabat
Garlic jr (pre transforming) - High pitched and fast
Buutenks/Buuhan and Perfect Cell - Articulate
Broly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a0XDNeYkR4
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:23 pm

I think Ian Corlett is my favorite Goku, even as a fan of the original Japanese. I think what makes him a good fit for me is that though his voice is more "adult" sounding, it still manages to hold a youthful quality that makes it perfect for Goku's child-like naivety and sense of adventure.
Trans rights, now!

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote: Recoome - NOT like Chris Sabat
This is not a valid answer. Describe how Recoome should sound, not how he shouldn't.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:03 pm

They definitely shouldn't sound like the Ocean dub Canadian cast. Purchased the Rock the Dragon set and popped in one of the dvd's, they all sounded horrible I prefer Funi's dub the most.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:00 pm

This is a good topic.

Goku - Innocence. That's what comes to mind when I think of Goku, but it's a lot harder to nail that than you might think. That's the reason even a dub guy like me can admit Nozawa is the best Goku, while her actual voice isn't very fitting for a buff monsterman like Goku, she puts such a lightness and simplicity into his voice that it just tells you everything you need to know about his personality. Goku needs to sound innocent, but with a childlike mischievous/competitive tone at points.

Piccolo - Now that I've praised the Japanese cast, let me take a point away. Piccolo can't just sound like "a guy" like he does in Japan, he needs an actual voice. He's the king of demons, or at the very least a distant alien. His voice needs to remind you of that. Rough and DEEP.

Vegeta - His voice needs to convey with every sentence just how high of an opinion he has of himself. That's most important, not exactly mustache twirling arrogance, but complete confidence.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:05 pm

They definitely shouldn't sound like the Ocean dub Canadian cast. Purchased the Rock the Dragon set and popped in one of the dvd's, they all sounded horrible I prefer Funi's dub the most.
I disagree a lot. So many of them are so good. The voice for Piccolo, Ox-King, Ginyu, Gohan, Kuririn, Chichi, Puar, Oolong, Bulma, Yamcha, Chaozu, Kami, Popo, Nappa, and even King Kai are all well acted, distinct and fit the characters.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:13 pm

Piccolo: Rough, gruff, stern.

Vegeta: Smarmy, sneering, raspy. Typical arrogant warrior type, despite his unimposing appearance. Capable of convincingly cackling.

Raditz: Deep, manly voice. Though only if Goku, Gohan, Bardock, Tullece, Goten, Vegetto, and Gogeta are all voiced by some old woman. Because Raditz having that voice, that hair, and that stature means he absolutely has no resemblance to any other member of his family, who all look and sound exactly alike. Otherwise he can sound like whatever.

Freeza: Really smug and prissy, somewhat high pitched. Should probably have a British accent. You should want to punch him in the mouth every time he talks.

Perfect Cell: Like Freeza, except more masculine.

Gohan: As an adult, just like any regular guy, to emphasize his relatively regular nature compared to everyone else.

Super Buu: Deep, growly, and psychotic. Should sound something like a typical lower class lout or thug. Partly because it fits his appearance and simple manner of speech, and partly because it contrasts his nature as an actually fairly cunning plotter. Should also have a good evil laugh.

Goku: Like a grown man.

Cooler: Would it be cheating to just say "like General-Ivan"?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Beerus - like Dr. Rabbit.

Broly - like Scar from FMA:B in his base, and Michael Jackson in his LSSJ form.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote: Broly - like Scar from FMA:B in his base, and Michael Jackson in his LSSJ form.
Find this kinda funny as he was voiced by Edward Elric.

Who is Dr. Rabbit and General Ivan?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:09 pm

"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:48 pm

Saiyan_nation_ wrote:They definitely shouldn't sound like the Ocean dub Canadian cast. Purchased the Rock the Dragon set and popped in one of the dvd's, they all sounded horrible I prefer Funi's dub the most.
Enjoy FUNimation's cheap amateur imitations of the 'horrible' Ocean dub Canadian cast :roll:
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:12 pm

I see this specific criticism come up a surprisingly often amount, including in this thread (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be addressing it), but I just can't understand how anybody sees Furukawa Toshio's Piccolo voice as "just some regular guy." I mean, it's menacing, it's growling, it's ridiculously deep. Not that a comparison to other work really means anything, but you do know this is the same guy who voiced General Blue, right? You know what he sounds like, right? That's much closer to Furukawa's normal register. And Piccolo is, like, an octave away from that. Hell, the only criticism I have of Furukawa's Piccolo is that it's so deep it's actually too deep for him to do sometimes. On occasion, you can actually hear his voice breaking because it's just so unnaturally low.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:20 am

ABED wrote:
I disagree a lot. So many of them are so good. The voice for Piccolo, Ox-King, Ginyu, Gohan, Kuririn, Chichi, Puar, Oolong, Bulma, Yamcha, Chaozu, Kami, Popo, Nappa, and even King Kai are all well acted, distinct and fit the characters.

Agreed. I enjoyed all those voices quite a bit. If they had a better script to work with, that dub would have been near perfect in my view.
Trans rights, now!

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:37 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I see this specific criticism come up a surprisingly often amount, including in this thread (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be addressing it), but I just can't understand how anybody sees Furukawa Toshio's Piccolo voice as "just some regular guy." I mean, it's menacing, it's growling, it's ridiculously deep. Not that a comparison to other work really means anything, but you do know this is the same guy who voiced General Blue, right? You know what he sounds like, right? That's much closer to Furukawa's normal register. And Piccolo is, like, an octave away from that. Hell, the only criticism I have of Furukawa's Piccolo is that it's so deep it's actually too deep for him to do sometimes. On occasion, you can actually hear his voice breaking because it's just so unnaturally low.
Well, I guess we just disagree then. This isn't really an objective thing so I can't really debate you on this. Although considering you're the guy who just found a way to prove that Star Trek III: The Search for Spock was directly inspired by a random episode of The Facts of Life, you'll probably find a way to convince me of this as well.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:41 am

Goku:
Vegeta:
Piccolo:
Krillin:
I might do more later but this is enough for now.
Last edited by NitroEX on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sayian_nation_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by sayian_nation_ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:37 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:
Saiyan_nation_ wrote:They definitely shouldn't sound like the Ocean dub Canadian cast. Purchased the Rock the Dragon set and popped in one of the dvd's, they all sounded horrible I prefer Funi's dub the most.
Enjoy FUNimation's cheap amateur imitations of the 'horrible' Ocean dub Canadian cast :roll:
ohh I do enjoy it. If Ocean dubs "I'll teach you a lesson ya big bully" and "radical!" count as superb script writing, I want what you're smoking :lol: You enjoy listening to it then to each his own, I couldn't deal with Gokus and most of the cast's voice, funi is just my preference get over it.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:55 am

Goku: Kid at heart
Piccolo: Deep but not growly
Vegeta: Haughty
Gohan (Kid): Calm, bashful, collected kid
Gohan (Older): Goofy teen/young adult
Krillin: Guy down on his luck
Recoome: Playful
Nappa: Tough as nails
King Kai: Goofy, yet wise
Frieza: Sadistic
Tien: Battle-hardened

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:55 am

Goku - Naive, energetic, warm, actor should have a good sense of comical timing and fire/passion. It's ok to be heroic and even commanding when it counts, but not to the point where its starting to sound like he's from Superfriends or something. He's just a guy that really likes to fight. -shrug- But, that's just me.
Vegeta - Smooth, regal, confident.
Piccolo - Stern, intelligent. Can go demonic or smooth, if the actor pleases, as long as they don't overdo the gruffness and make him sound like an ogre or something.
Freeza - Smug, Has a measured aristocratic tone, can alter their voice throughout each form, can turn from calm and businessmen-like to a raging madman at a flip of a coin

Might do more, I dunno.

Singh is King
Beyond Newbie

Post by Singh is King » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:26 pm

Goku- Childlike, goofy, and naive, but should also have a warm tone to his lines: should sound like an adult man who is a kid at heart, so like a man child.
Vegeta- Swarmy, better-than-you, haughty, and really smug: should have a medium to slightly deep voice, but nothing high pitched or too low pitched, either.
Piccolo- Really smooth deep voice with sharp delivery of his lines.
Kid Gohan- High pitched, but not too feminine at the same time, yet also not too gruff: like a regular young boy would sound.
Kid Goku- Wild child, really goofy, naive, and silly at the same time: slight rasp to his voice but not much, but higher pitched as well.