What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: What phrases/opinions/things bring out your irate fanboy

Post by rereboy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:13 am

A mistake doesn't have to be easy to avoid to bring out someone's irate fanboy. An irate fanboy usually isn't very rational.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:17 am

rereboy wrote:A mistake doesn't have to be easy to avoid to bring out someone's irate fanboy. An irate fanboy usually isn't very rational.
Fair point, but this is REALLY irrational. It's getting irritated over someone not knowing a very obscure bit of trivia.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:25 am

ABED wrote:Fair point, but this is REALLY irrational. It's getting irritated over someone not knowing a very obscure bit of trivia.
It's only as obscure as knowing that most characters only have one name, which isn't that obscure. The rest is just deduction from the fact that pretty much every character only has one name, unless stated.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:34 am

rereboy wrote:
ABED wrote:Fair point, but this is REALLY irrational. It's getting irritated over someone not knowing a very obscure bit of trivia.
It's only as obscure as knowing that most characters only have one name, which isn't that obscure. The rest is just deduction from the fact that pretty much every character only has one name, unless stated.
That is still obscure because Goku's family does and the normal convention is to in fact put titles in front of last names in the real world.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:47 am

ABED wrote: That is still obscure because Goku's family does and the normal convention is to in fact put titles in front of last names in the real world.
In the very chapter where it's explained that last names are very rare, its made clear that it's very rare for a family like the Son to have a family name, making Son the prime example of one of those very rare cases. They are so rare that Videl recognizes Gohan as being related to Goku simply because they have the last name. So, no, it's pretty much like I said. It's only as obscure as the knowledge contained in this chapter, the rest is just deduction.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:27 pm

rereboy wrote:
ABED wrote: That is still obscure because Goku's family does and the normal convention is to in fact put titles in front of last names in the real world.
In the very chapter where it's explained that last names are very rare, its made clear that it's very rare for a family like the Son to have a family name, making Son the prime example of one of those very rare cases. They are so rare that Videl recognizes Gohan as being related to Goku simply because they have the last name. So, no, it's pretty much like I said. It's only as obscure as the knowledge contained in this chapter, the rest is just deduction.
That's deep cut stuff. I've read the manga and seen the anime multiple times and I don't remember it. I wouldn't call myself a casual fan either, so I don't think most casual fans would remember something obscure especially in those chapters. Plus it says "rare" not nonexistent.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:39 pm

ABED wrote:That's deep cut stuff.
Not really, anyone that remembers that particular chapter knows it. It's not some random tid bit that Toriyama said once or something that it's only in the japanese version or something that it's only in the manga or something really minor like how many times Chaotzu talks to Goku in he manga... It's just something that is clearly explained in one chapter and that is actually a minor plot point, since it allows Videl to interrogate Gohan about his skills.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:45 pm

rereboy wrote:
ABED wrote:That's deep cut stuff.
Not really, anyone that remembers that particular chapter knows it. It's not some random tid bit that Toriyama said once or something that it's only in the japanese version or something that it's only in the manga or something really minor like how many times Chaotzu talks to Goku in he manga... It's just something that is clearly explained in one chapter and that is actually a minor plot point, since it allows Videl to interrogate Gohan about his skills.
That's an assumption. I am someone who read it and I don't remember that line. I remember that she finds Gohan suspicious, but not something as trivial as a world with few last names. This isn't like we're talking about what the name of Goku's planet of birth, we're talking about a throwaway line in a single episode or chapter that has few ramifications. You don't think that would fly over most people's heads in a fighting manga/anime?

h0kuten
Banned

Post by h0kuten » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:17 pm

The clowns who refuse to incorporate the new material into their logic -or even worse, the ones whom won't bother watching the new material because it differs from their childhood memories of Dragonball Z.

Another thing is people who believe the Z-Fighters maxed out in the Majin Boo Saga due to some mundane and stupid reasoning.

Or the fanboys who believe Vegetto is superior to Beerus at Super Saiyan 3.

People who believe 3rd Form Frieza is weaker than Ultimate Gohan.

The bullcrap with 'Ssj4 brings a user to their limits'.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:03 pm

h0kuten wrote:The clowns who refuse to incorporate the new material into their logic -or even worse, the ones whom won't bother watching the new material because it differs from their childhood memories of Dragonball Z.
Another thing is people who believe the Z-Fighters maxed out in the Majin Boo Saga due to some mundane and stupid reasoning.
Or the fanboys who believe Vegetto is superior to Beerus at Super Saiyan 3.
People who believe 3rd Form Freeza is weaker than Ultimate Gohan.
The bullcrap with 'Ssj4 brings a user to their limits'.
Even within the context of this thread, is there really a need to be so snide and hostile about these sorts of things? I and plenty of others have taken notice of this persistent "people who don't agree with the things I think are idiots" tone to a lot your posts, and it's not cool. This is not the type of community where one's fellow fans are judged based on which in-universe ideas they support.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:"
when someone says Dragon Ball "sucks" and justifies it with their only reason being that it doesn't have a complex plot, even though there's just as much enjoyment and quality to be had with simplicity.
This irks me too. Simplicity is by no means a detriment to Dragon Ball's great storytelling, especially considering how the story evolves and the characters develop.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:03 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:
when someone says Dragon Ball "sucks" and justifies it with their only reason being that it doesn't have a complex plot, even though there's just as much enjoyment and quality to be had with simplicity.
This irks me too. Simplicity is by no means a detriment to Dragon Ball's great storytelling, especially considering how the story evolves and the characters develop.
Agreed 100%
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:06 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:
Though this is something more general rather DB only but it's tie to it.
This is my Nº1 most irritating thing : "quality of writing = complexity of writing"...it just simply :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:27 pm

"Don't like don't watch"
How about if you don't like people's criticisms DON'T READ THEM
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Ree wrote:"Don't like don't watch"
How about if you don't like people's criticisms DON'T READ THEM
WHAT ? So if you're a writer and you write a terrible story and get backlash for it, you should ignore people's criticism ? :eh:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:59 pm

You did NOT get my point
People keep saying if you don't like Akira Toriyama has given you then you should just shut up which is bullshit

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Ree wrote:You did NOT get my point
People keep saying if you don't like Akira Toriyama has given you then you should just shut up which is bullshit
No but if you just criticize, then why are you watching? It's like when I talk to this one guy about movies, all he does is bash Marvel films, and he continues to watch them. Why are you watching and continually watching and talking about something you don't enjoy?

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:13 pm

He must be interested in them if he knows enough about them to criticize
So if he doesn't like what Marvel has given to him he should not just accept it

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:18 pm

Ree wrote:He must be interested in them if he knows enough about them to criticize
So if he doesn't like what Marvel has given to him he should not just accept it
All he does is criticize, I have no idea if he sees any value in them and it's not like people don't watch things they don't like

If you don't like what Marvel is giving you, fine, it's not everyone's taste, but if you don't like it, what value is there in continuing to seeing it and what value do you get from constantly criticizing it. It goes beyond the contructive criticism, to being almost pathological.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:26 pm

Ree wrote:You did NOT get my point
Oh. My bad. :oops:
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸