Z Warriors vs. Frieza (mixing "Z" & "Kai")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Z Warriors vs. Frieza (mixing "Z" & "Kai")

Post by Aoi » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:10 pm

What do you think of the idea of creating a "definitive cut" of the The Z Warriors vs. Frieza fight, that mixes episodes from "Z" and "Kai"? Don't know about you, but I find the length of this fight in the original Z to be just unbearable.

I gave this a try a couple of years ago, and I feel this mix works pretty well when you try to watch the episodes in this order. It doesn't detract from any important plot points, and IMO fixes the awful pacing issues.
What do you think?

Legend: Dragon Ball Kai= Blue. Dragon Ball Z= Red.
*From this point, the finale of the Namek Arc will be divided between Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Kai episodes.

Episodes:
#1. Kai: 37, #2. Kai: 38, #3. Kai: 39, #4. Kai: 40
#5. DBZ: 85, #6. DBZ: 86
#7. Kai: 43, #8. Kai: 44
#9. DBZ: 91, #10. DBZ: 92, #11. DBZ: 93, #12. DBZ: 94, #13. DBZ: 95
* ^^^ these are considered "fast episodes". Any "Captain Ginyu scenes" can safely be ignored (if desired). Without those filler scenes, the pace of the show really improves.

#14. Kai: 48, #15. Kai: 49, #16. Kai: 50, #17. Kai: 51, #18. Kai: 52.
#19. Kai: 53
#20. DBZ: 107
* ^^^All of it. Including the Episode 20's “Previous Episode Summary”. This is done because "Kai 53" cuts out a few important scenes to make sense of "Z" episode 107

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Z Warriors vs. Freeza (mixing "Z" & "Kai")

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:47 pm

I honestly prefer how Kai paces the show as whole. So I would really be interested in a "definitive" cut of Z-Warriors vs. Freeza, that featured any of the original Z episodes. Especially given that at that stage in the show, the pacing was unbearable and at its legendary worst.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:22 pm

It seems to me that if you wanted a better pacing for the course of the fight, or any of the show for that matter, you should just watch the whole thing in Kai, rather than taking the time to mix and match it with the original series.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri May 01, 2015 12:20 am

In terms the Freeza battle's pacing, Kai wins out for me and lends itself better to re-watching. However, I much MUCH prefer original Z's voice acting and music cues. Z featured the Japanese cast and Kikuchi's compositions at their peak.

If we're looking at English dubs, Kai of course beats the pants off of the original Z dub.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.