Dragonball Z BoG, RoF, a trilogy possible?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Periskir

Dragonball Z BoG, RoF, a trilogy possible?

Post by Periskir » Wed May 20, 2015 8:43 am

We all know that BoG was a big hit on cinemas and also is RoF Do you think that Toei Animation will produce a third, final movie?-along with Dragonball Super-.

Bullza
Banned

Re: Dragonball Z BoG, RoF, a trilogy possible?

Post by Bullza » Wed May 20, 2015 9:07 am

I'm sure there will be a third movie as it'll be able to capitalize on the (hopeful) success of Super. However if that movie were to also do well I doubt it'd be the final one.

I'm sure as long as they continue to do well they'll keep making them.

I just wonder how they'd go about doing it if Super were to be an ongoing continuation of RoF. I'd hope both the series and the movies would be canon, I just don't know how they'd make that work unless the series built up to the events of a movie.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed May 20, 2015 9:17 am

I would love a trilogy. I don't know what it is with me and movie trilogies but just the thought of one is so cool.

We could call it "Dragon Ball Z: The God Trilogy"... How friggin cool does that sound? :D

But Bullza is right, seeing as to how successful these last couple of movies are in box office I wouldn't be surprised if Toei were to make more than three movies.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:42 am

I was thinking there'd be a trilogy for the longest, but with Super, it seems a little redundant. You know, unless the series takes place before the god stuff.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 20, 2015 12:09 pm

There's definitely gonna be more Dragon Ball films. And next one will either be during the airing of Dragon Ball Super or shortly after it concludes.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Wed May 20, 2015 3:44 pm

I simply think that if the FnF didn't do so well as it did, we simply would have had a third film only, a sequel of Fukkatsu no F, so due that, a complete God trilogy. But now if we will get the Super, then I think a third movie is redundant, being that new movies are totally canon, I do not see any reason to make movies if movie ideas can be incorporated the actual series. But, of course, if Toei wants more money, then they could make movies after Super's end, or between its sagas. I can also imagine Toei to make non-canon movies, produced them simultaneously with the main Super series, just like in the old days. I'm thinking about parallels like Cell - Bojack, Majin Buu - Janemba, Vegeta - Turles, etc. For example, if a New God of Destruction will show up, then Toei can make up a villain with similar powers and skills like the one from the main story of Dragon Ball Super.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:50 pm

New movies will happen as long if they keep on making money and Toriyama still wants to write the newer movies. I think Toriyama helping out on these movies are one of the big selling points of the newer movies. I think people like seeing the original creator return to the series after 1995. I think Toei does new movies without Toriyama again then I don't see them doing that well. Sure people will see them, but I think most fans will be less hype without Toriyama on board. Most of DBZ Movies 1-13 are pretty bad and have not aged well at all. I wonder if anyone has try rewatching them in the last 10 or 15 years. Most of them are boring, predictable, lame and generic at best.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Wed May 20, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed May 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:New movies will happen as long if they keep on making money and Toriyama still wants to write the newer movies. I think Toriyama helping out on these movies are one of the big selling points of the newer movies. I think people like seeing the original creator return to the series after 1995. I think Toei does new movies without Toriyama again then I don't see them doing that well. Sure people will see them, but I think most fans will be less hype without Toriyama on board. Most of DBZ Movies 1-13 are pretty bad and have not aged well at all. I wonder if anyone has try rewatching them in the last 10 or 15 years. Most of them are boring, predictable, lame and genetic at best.
Genetic?

Well, Bio-Broly...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed May 20, 2015 5:21 pm

I can't help but wonder: will future movies use Dragon Ball Z in the title, or Dragon Ball Super? I'd assume the latter. >.>

Though DBZ is the more recognizable and marketable title. If Super flops, any future films that use its title will inevitably be hurt as well.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 20, 2015 5:28 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I can't help but wonder: will future movies use Dragon Ball Z in the title, or Dragon Ball Super? I'd assume the latter. >.>

Though DBZ is the more recognizable and marketable title. If Super flops, any future films that use its title will inevitably be hurt as well.
I'd say that anything to do with the franchise, be it Super or Z, will be hurt if Super flops.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Wed May 20, 2015 9:14 pm

I am pretty sure Funi would use Dragon Ball Z Super and for Japan it will probably be Dragon Ball Super just like how they handled Dragon Ball Z Kai. Many people won't understand why they would name it without a Z since most people know Dragon Ball Z and not Dragon Ball as a whole. As for a trilogy being possible, I would think there would be more movies movies considering how many new and recent anime have been using movies to attract people and gain more money in the process, instead of just being one single series. These movies will probably be canon since Toriyama is working on Super and it seems out of place to have a non canon villain after so many years. As for when this movie will release, it will probably release between Super.

I like this idea too :D The concept of a trilogy always fascinated me because you get more content and feels like something nice to end the series with. I like your idea too Super Saiyan Swagger, the God Trilogy just sounds epic. :thumbup:
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:29 pm

BoG----->RoF----->JoE????
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Wed May 20, 2015 9:31 pm

MarCas92 wrote:BoG----->RoF----->JoE????
What is JoE?....
It sounds weird to say Joe and Dragon Ball together...Is this a joke?.... :think:
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:33 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:
What is JoE?....
It sounds weird to say Joe and Dragon Ball together...Is this a joke?.... :think:

Well...the middle letter is always "o". The 3rd letter is "E" because it went "F" then "G" so I assume the alphabet is going backwards. "J" is the letter between "B" and "R".
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed May 20, 2015 9:40 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I can't help but wonder: will future movies use Dragon Ball Z in the title, or Dragon Ball Super? I'd assume the latter. >.>

Even if it's a hit, logically it should be branded as DBZ movie seeing as it would be a sequel to BOG/ROF and stuck in Z timeline (before EOZ). It's one of the reasons I think Super will probalby take place after EOZ. If it doesn't the branding message will be a complete mess

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu May 21, 2015 12:09 am

MarCas92 wrote:
What is JoE?....

Well...the middle letter is always "o". The 3rd letter is "E" because it went "F" then "G" so I assume the alphabet is going backwards. "J" is the letter between "B" and "R".
Journey of Epicness, where they have to retrieve the dragonballs from throughout the 12 universes, and it has none of the things that made GT lame.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:58 am

Please no more movies for now. I want Super to get all of the focus. Hopefully some trends it could start will affect a later movie down the road.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu May 21, 2015 4:22 pm

MarCas92 wrote:
What is JoE?....

Where are you getting the J from? I understand it's between B and R, but so are many other letters. Is it just a shot in the dark?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu May 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Future movies are definitely a possibility moving forward. They even want to release a full theatrical release CG film worldwide, so the ambition is definitely there.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu May 21, 2015 9:49 pm

One_Instance wrote:Where are you getting the J from? I understand it's between B and R, but so are many other letters. Is it just a shot in the dark?
It's precisely in the middle, 7 letters from B and 7 letters from R.