Dragon Ball Animax dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Animax dub

Post by DrBriefsCat » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:52 pm

There supposedly exists an English dub of the first Dragon Ball series exclusive to the Animax cable channel in Southeast Asia. For those who have seen it, how does it compare to Funimation's dub in terms of translation accuracy and voice-acting? Is it uncut to the Japanese version? Was it recorded in Hong Kong or Singapore?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Animax dub

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:41 am

Very interesting. I searched Google, but found nothing.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:10 am

If it does exist, it would be really interesting to hear.

I also remember reading something which supposedly listed all dubs the series had at some point, and apart from this dub, it also said something along the lines of "English dub produced in Korea for educational purposes". Is that real or did I dream it? :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:50 am

Is that the dub where the narrator is a woman? I remember seeing some South-Asian English dub clip once where the narrator was a woman. I think it was the only dub to have a female narrator.

EDIT: Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWww3wVGyXo

Solidus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Solidus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:59 am

I found this interview with Dave Bridges (voice of Goku) and it confirms that it existed. I haven't seen a single clip of this dub and it would be interesting to learn about it.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:24 pm

NeoKING wrote:Is that the dub where the narrator is a woman? I remember seeing some South-Asian English dub clip once where the narrator was a woman. I think it was the only dub to have a female narrator.

EDIT: Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWww3wVGyXo
That is the filipino english dub, that has most of the same cast of the Tagalog dub. I didn't had saw the english filipino narrator(and it is not in this video), but seeing for other videos of the tagalog dub, it's a male narrator. Just look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlgNsD4rL-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4nKTk0dERU

SatoshiCT

Post by SatoshiCT » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:44 am

I'm pretty sure the dub was recorded in around 2003-2004 by a company called Red Angel Media in Hong Kong like a lot of Animax dubs at that time. I think the only clip available online is a short clip of General Blue with no dialog from the VA's demo reel https://youtu.be/5eTVLvvWlys?t=37s

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:45 pm

What? Another English dub? O_O
How's this been kept a secret for so long?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:15 pm

......Another.......English.......dub?

MUST......SEE!

Seriously though, I think the English language holds the world record for "most dubs of Dragon Ball animes."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

thomas1up
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thomas1up » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:15 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:......Another.......English.......dub?

MUST......SEE!

Seriously though, I think the English language holds the world record for "most dubs of Dragon Ball animes."
For Dragon Ball you got the FUNimation dub, the Blue Water Dub, the ocean dub for the first 13 episodes, the phillipines dub and now the Animax dub, that's 4 dubs for the entire series and 5 dubs for the 13 episodes.

Oh and the harmony gold dub for the first 5(?) episodes which makes it 6 over all produced...!
thomas1up are fuckin terrible and need to fuck off asap all the other noobs are decent thouhg
-Anon-Kun 2014 <3

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:28 pm

thomas1up wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:......Another.......English.......dub?

MUST......SEE!

For Dragon Ball you got the FUNimation dub, the Blue Water Dub, the ocean dub for the first 13 episodes, the phillipines dub and now the Animax dub, that's 4 dubs for the entire series and 5 dubs for the 13 episodes.

Oh and the harmony gold dub for the first 5(?) episodes which makes it 6 over all produced...!
In Brazil the original Dragon Ball had...5 dubs, yeah.

The original dub, did in 1996 for the eps. 1 to 60, the 1998 dub for the 3 movies, the 2002 redub for the entire series and the movies(using the cast of the Z dub, that was did in 1999 until 2001), the 2006 redub to broadcast in Cartoon Network Brazil(using almost the same cast of the Z dub and the 2002 dub) and the 2011 dub of a few episodes, to the DVDs(and using the cast of the Z, 2002 and 2006 dubs).

But there are 6 brazilian dubs, if you count that the 2002 dub was did by two dubbing studios, that had a few differences in their works.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Anyway, about this Animax dub, doesn't anyone has the contact of some actor of that dub, or maybe a contact of some asian fan who had saw this dub years ago?

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Interesting. I remember seeing that Cooler video before but I must have mistook it for the Malaysian or Big Green dub at the time.

All we need now is a UK dub with British accents.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:33 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:Anyway, about this Animax dub, doesn't anyone has the contact of some actor of that dub, or maybe a contact of some asian fan who had saw this dub years ago?
Well, the YouTube clip brought up earlier in this thread appears to belong to the voice actor who played General Blue. It seems he posted that clip as part of a demo showcasing the anime characters he has played. So, if somebody wants to contact him directly through YouTube, I guess that's a start.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:22 am

thomas1up wrote:For Dragon Ball you got the FUNimation dub, the Blue Water Dub, the ocean dub for the first 13 episodes, the phillipines dub and now the Animax dub, that's 4 dubs for the entire series and 5 dubs for the 13 episodes.

Eight for just DB: Harmony Gold USA, FUNimation Entertainment, Creative Products Corporation, Toei Animation Enterprises and Animation International, FUNimation Entertainment (again), Westwood Media, AB Groupe, and now Animax.

And if they dubbed DBZ as well, then DBZ got NINE different English dubs... :O

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:29 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
thomas1up wrote:For Dragon Ball you got the FUNimation dub, the Blue Water Dub, the ocean dub for the first 13 episodes, the phillipines dub and now the Animax dub, that's 4 dubs for the entire series and 5 dubs for the 13 episodes.

Eight for just DB: Harmony Gold USA, FUNimation Entertainment, Creative Products Corporation, Toei Animation Enterprises and Animation International, FUNimation Entertainment (again), Westwood Media, AB Groupe, and now Animax.

Toei did an english db dub? That's news to me.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:03 pm

sangofe wrote:Toei did an english db dub? That's news to me.

I didn't know that either. :eh:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:48 pm

I must hear this. :P

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:01 am

That's the one distributed by Speedy in Malaysia. Toei Animation Enterprises is, I think, Toei Animation's branch for handling their shows in Asia outside Japan.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:35 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:

One film alone (Tree of Might) got five different English dubs in the space of just 8 years - Saban '97, Pioneer '98, Speedy '99, AB Groupe 03 and FUNi in-house 06, and that's not counting the semi-official TFS parody. I think it must hold some kind of world record for most English dubs.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub