Did the Android arc mark the downfall of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Did the Android arc mark the downfall of Dragon Ball?

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:52 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Most certainly, even if Dragon Ball had already lost sight of its original vision with Freeza.
What, exactly, was its "original vision"?
You might argue that Buu does entirely the same thing, merely acting as any old threat for character growth to funnel out of, but Buu is never set up as anything else, and his wild eccentricity basically acknowledges it- he is supposed to entertain in a vacuum.
Buu has tons of personality on his own though, unlike the extremely bland androids and Perfect Cell.
Vegeta wasn't confirmed to be the strongest.
Yes he was. He confirmed it while thinking to himself. Pretty much everything in the Saiyan arc contradicts the existence of Freeza- but he existed in the Namek arc, regardless.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:29 pm

ABED wrote:There are plenty of examples of stories being affected in ways like this or in similar manners, many of them for the better.
Yes, it's like the time machine in Back to the Future was a refrigerator in the book. I doubt anyone is complaining now that the film's editors changed it to a car.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Yes he was. He confirmed it while thinking to himself.
Android #17 claims to be the strongest android several times. I don't think we can take Dragon Ball villains at their word. :D

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:43 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
ABED wrote:There are plenty of examples of stories being affected in ways like this or in similar manners, many of them for the better.
Yes, it's like the time machine in Back to the Future was a refrigerator in the book. I doubt anyone is complaining now that the film's editors changed it to a car.
Um. Back to the Future wasn't a book adapted into a movie. In earlier drafts of the screenplay, the time machine was a chamber that had to be thrown into the back of a truck. The power of editing is impressive, but it would be difficult even for editors to make such a huge, drastic change. It was the writers who did that while they were still trying to hammer out the story. It's a world of difference between ideas being changed in the conceptual stage versus being changed during the work itself. If Back to the Future were a more apt comparison to the Cell arc of DB, the movie would have started with the time machine being a chamber only for it to suddenly become a car halfway through the film.
Lucky Cat wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Yes he was. He confirmed it while thinking to himself.
Android #17 claims to be the strongest android several times. I don't think we can take Dragon Ball villains at their word. :D
#17 genuinely believes he is the strongest being on the planet. If we are to believe that Vegeta figures he has to get the Dragon Balls and wish for immortality in order to defeat Freeza, he clearly knows he's not the strongest and wouldn't be telling himself that he is.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:35 am

I take it you are mocking my point. The original ending of Blade was going to have Frost become a giant wave of blood. It was audience testing that convinced them to change La Magra into a Blood God instead of a Blood Wave. The original ending of Back to the Future was supposed to take place at a atomic bomb testing sight instead of Hill Valley. In Batman TAS, Bruce Timm originally intended to see Dick Grayson's parent's falling to their death, with Dick seeing it all. The network censors didn't allow it, so it was changed so all you saw was the snapped trapeze wire. Stallone decided that Rambo would live at the end of First Blood instead of having him commit suicide, which was the original ending.
Yes he was. He confirmed it while thinking to himself.
Someone thinking to themselves is proof of nothing, especially an arrogant villain prone to overestimating his own abilities.
Last edited by ABED on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:37 am

LuckyCat wrote:Android #17 claims to be the strongest android several times. I don't think we can take Dragon Ball villains at their word. :D
Maybe it was just foreshadowing.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:36 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:If Back to the Future were a more apt comparison to the Cell arc of DB, the movie would have started with the time machine being a chamber only for it to suddenly become a car halfway through the film.
Fair enough, though my point was that original authors don't always come up with the best ideas.
ABED wrote:I take it you are mocking my point.
Nope, just giving an example.
Cipher wrote:Maybe it was just foreshadowing.
It can't be. In Toriyama's version of Dragon Ball, #17 is not the strongest android. If #17 was an original character of Toei you might have a point.
Gaffer Tape wrote:#17 genuinely believes he is the strongest being on the planet. If we are to believe that Vegeta figures he has to get the Dragon Balls and wish for immortality in order to defeat Freeza
Vegeta wanted to get the dragon balls in Saiyan saga so he could fight forever. This was stated. Freeza only became relevant in Namek saga later on.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:43 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Most certainly, even if Dragon Ball had already lost sight of its original vision with Freeza.
The pure martial arts parody not so concerned with arbitrary battle powers (but I suppose Piccolo killed it if Battle Powers are the kicker). While Dragon Ball never stopped being Dragon Ball, I feel the Z-era is something "else" compared to Goku's younger days. Enough so that our hero being a simpleton from the mountains in a gi feels rather out of place. I have not really thought about it farther than that.
You might argue that Buu does entirely the same thing, merely acting as any old threat for character growth to funnel out of, but Buu is never set up as anything else, and his wild eccentricity basically acknowledges it- he is supposed to entertain in a vacuum.
Buu has tons of personality on his own though, unlike the extremely bland androids and Perfect Cell.[/quote]

I agree entirely. I was trying to say that Buu was built to be an entertaining character simply by how he acts, with no need for a greater story to drive what he does.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:20 am

Nope, just giving an example.
Well, editors in film and in publishing are two different things, and BTTF isn't a book.
If Back to the Future were a more apt comparison to the Cell arc of DB, the movie would have started with the time machine being a chamber only for it to suddenly become a car halfway through the film.
But it still works in the Cell arc. Time travel allows you to justify these sorts of corrections and it's not apparent in the final work that it wasn't always progressing towards Cell. Think about it, if #19 and #20 were the antagonists that Toriyama had in mind when Trunks told Goku about the future, it would've been a short arc as they would've fought the big bads right from the jump.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:30 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Cipher wrote:Maybe it was just foreshadowing.
It can't be. In Toriyama's version of Dragon Ball, #17 is not the strongest android. If #17 was an original character of Toei you might have a point.
Not to be a dick, but I'm pretty sure he was just trying to make a joke.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:34 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
The pure martial arts parody not so concerned with arbitrary battle powers (but I suppose Piccolo killed it if Battle Powers are the kicker). While Dragon Ball never stopped being Dragon Ball, I feel the Z-era is something "else" compared to Goku's younger days. Enough so that our hero being a simpleton from the mountains in a gi feels rather out of place. I have not really thought about it farther than that.
Buu has tons of personality on his own though, unlike the extremely bland androids and Perfect Cell.
I agree entirely. I was trying to say that Buu was built to be an entertaining character simply by how he acts, with no need for a greater story to drive what he does.
I don't think the Freeza arc is really where the change took place. I think that the big shift either happens with the introduction of Piccolo, or with the Saiyan arc.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Not to be a dick, but I'm pretty sure he was just trying to make a joke.
I hope so. But, you know, if GT's part of your head-canon I guess there's a (weak) argument that #17's boasting foreshadowed Super 17.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:31 pm

LuckyCat wrote:I hope so. But, you know, if GT's part of your head-canon I guess there's a (weak) argument that #17's boasting foreshadowed Super 17.
That was the joke and it was a joke.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:42 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:If Back to the Future were a more apt comparison to the Cell arc of DB, the movie would have started with the time machine being a chamber only for it to suddenly become a car halfway through the film.
Fair enough, though my point was that original authors don't always come up with the best ideas.
But... it WAS the original writers who came up with making the time machine a DeLorean! So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
LuckyCat wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:#17 genuinely believes he is the strongest being on the planet. If we are to believe that Vegeta figures he has to get the Dragon Balls and wish for immortality in order to defeat Freeza
Vegeta wanted to get the dragon balls in Saiyan saga so he could fight forever. This was stated. Freeza only became relevant in Namek saga later on.
Now you're really starting to confuse me. Weren't you defending the retcon by saying it was possible Vegeta was just being unreliable? You can't spackle over the plot hole and then defend it by reminding me that there's a plot hole! You can either say it works because you think Vegeta's unreliable, or you can say it doesn't work because Vegeta's comments are contradictory to the existence of Freeza, but those ideas together are completely incompatible!
ABED wrote:But it still works in the Cell arc. Time travel allows you to justify these sorts of corrections and it's not apparent in the final work that it wasn't always progressing towards Cell. Think about it, if #19 and #20 were the antagonists that Toriyama had in mind when Trunks told Goku about the future, it would've been a short arc as they would've fought the big bads right from the jump.
I wasn't arguing whether it works or not. For the record... in some places yes, in some places absolutely not. I was just arguing against the Back to the Future example being a legitimate comparison to the Cell arc situation.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:18 pm

I wasn't arguing whether it works or not. For the record... in some places yes, in some places absolutely not. I was just arguing against the Back to the Future example being a legitimate comparison to the Cell arc situation.
Not if one believes it works.

Please be specific, where do you think it doesn't work?

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Cipher wrote:That was the joke and it was a joke.
Bummer, I was hoping for a Super #17 discussion. :D
Gaffer Tape wrote:Now you're really starting to confuse me. Weren't you defending the retcon by saying it was possible Vegeta was just being unreliable? You can't spackle over the plot hole and then defend it by reminding me that there's a plot hole! You can either say it works because you think Vegeta's unreliable, or you can say it doesn't work because Vegeta's comments are contradictory to the existence of Freeza, but those ideas together are completely incompatible!
It can be both. I'm not sure Toriyama had planned Freeza when he wrote that dialogue, but in context Vegeta was just making a badass boast (I mean, Goku was already stronger than him when he said it).