Vegeta's Height

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Vegeta's Height

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:24 pm

Does anyone find it wierd that Vegeta is short while his dad is so tall. I wish he was taller especially that scene in the Majin Buu saga where he grabs Goku's shirt, he seems so short. Not that I have a problem with short males but I find it weird for Vegeta.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Vegeta's Height

Post by Chuquita » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:33 pm

He's gotten taller with each story arc, there is that. In Super he's even taller than he was in the Buu arc. :3
I don't know if they'd let him get as tall as/taller than Gokû though, because I've always thought of "Vegeta gets taller each arc, but nobody ever comments on it." as a subtle joke and if he reached Gokû's height there's no way the characters would be able to ignore it/avoid saying something.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:33 pm

Maybe his mother was a lot shorter than his father? Maybe he gets it from his grandparents? I don't really understand why it's weird for him to be short.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Sayo-chan wrote:Maybe his mother was a lot shorter than his father? Maybe he gets it from his grandparents? I don't really understand why it's weird for him to be short.
It would suit his character if he was taller.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:47 pm

I think Toriyama likes having short yet strong characters. Vegeta is shorter than Nappa but the former dominates in power and rank. Freeza's final form outclasses his much taller second and third forms. Perfect Cell is shorter than his two previous forms, and Gohan, who outpowers Cell, is even shorter than him. Kid Buu appears to be the toughest of all the Buus, despite looking like a little runt.

It also might be more appealing for children to have little, yet strong characters they can relate to.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:06 pm

LuckyCat wrote:I think Toriyama likes having short yet strong characters. Vegeta is shorter than Nappa but the former dominates in power and rank. Freeza's final form outclasses his much taller second and third forms. Perfect Cell is shorter than his two previous forms, and Gohan, who outpowers Cell, is even shorter than him. Kid Buu appears to be the toughest of all the Buus, despite looking like a little runt.

It also might be more appealing for children to have little, yet strong characters they can relate to.
Don't forget Gotenks. Despite his size, he is immensely powerful. Toriyama really loves making small characters very strong. It's all part of Toriyama way of subverting the expectations that people usually expect when it comes with a shonen manga/anime. Most of the time in Dragon Ball, the scrawniest looking and smallest characters are the most powerful.

Expect Jaco's power to spike in Super. :P

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:18 pm

Vegeta got the stereotypical short man syndrome where's he's always angry. Not to mention Saiyans aren't that tall anyways. Goku's only 5'9.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:37 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Vegeta got the stereotypical short man syndrome where's he's always angry. Not to mention Saiyans aren't that tall anyways. Goku's only 5'9.
Um... what about Nappa, Raditz, King Vegeta and Broly? Those guys are pretty damn tall.

PolatGuy92

Post by PolatGuy92 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:48 pm

No! I think that's what makes Vegeta so special and unique about him, and he's got a lot taller since the Saiyan Arc. I even don't like it that they made him even taller than Bulma now I always liked how they are equally tall in their relationship.

I just can't picture Vegeta having Goku's size go team short guys! :lol:

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:55 pm

I actually liked his shorter design. They should have kept him that way.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Caulifor » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Well, Vegeta started off short because Toriyama really likes the "tall guy and short guy" duo. Yamcha/Kuririn, Tenshinhan/Chaozu, Bora/Upa, and in this case, Nappa/Vegeta. I suppose he thought it would be more interesting to make the stronger enemy be the short one this time around.

As for his father being tall... well, I think he didn't really think about King Vegeta until much later. If I'm not mistaken, the guy doesn't even show up in the manga, and is anime-only.
I haven't watched most of the anime in a long time, but I did read the manga over and over again.
That is where most of my knowledge from the series come from.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:16 pm

Tarble is even shorter. Queen Vegeta must have been Baba-sized :lol:

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:35 pm

I like him being short, it's more unique. He's got that Napoleon syndrome going, along with Wolverine.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:52 am

Captain Strawberry wrote: I wish he was taller especially that scene in the Majin Buu saga where he grabs Goku's shirt, he seems so short.
I actually quite like that scene with Vegeta being short yet still confronting Goku. I think it looks nice.

I don't like that he is growing. I think he should be Bulma's height or slightly shorter.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:05 am

Marco Polo wrote:Tarble is even shorter. Queen Vegeta must have been Baba-sized :lol:
King Vegeta is tall. You know what they say about short girls.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:11 am

irreality wrote:
Captain Strawberry wrote: I wish he was taller especially that scene in the Majin Buu saga where he grabs Goku's shirt, he seems so short.
I actually quite like that scene with Vegeta being short yet still confronting Goku. I think it looks nice.
That scene got me laughing so hard I didn't pay attention to what he was saying. It kinda looked like a puppy barking angrily while his master looks down on him. It's hard to take Vegeta seriously sometimes.
I don't like that he is growing. I think he should be Bulma's height or slightly shorter.
I think Bulma is the one who's getting shorter. He's still short compared to Goku.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:26 am

Avery wrote: I think Bulma is the one who's getting shorter. He's still short compared to Goku.
Yep. Just look at her compared to Beerus in the latest Super episode.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:10 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Avery wrote: I think Bulma is the one who's getting shorter. He's still short compared to Goku.
Yep. Just look at her compared to Beerus in the latest Super episode.
Beerus is also taller in that episode than usual, in some shots he's about the size of Whis!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Part of it is because Vegeta wasn't intended to stick around in the beginning; he had a "henchman" quality to him. When it turned out he would be around forever, he obviously got more beefy and battle-ready, and sliiightly taller.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:43 pm

B wrote:Part of it is because Vegeta wasn't intended to stick around in the beginning; he had a "henchman" quality to him. When it turned out he would be around forever, he obviously got more beefy and battle-ready, and sliiightly taller.
Yeah, the reverse kinda happened with Mr. Satan. He was always a comic relief, but at the start of the Cell Games he WAS a real human champion, who had actually won world martial arts tournaments without cheating, and he was tall as shit (completely towering over the reporter). But then he progressively became even more and more of a joke and so he became shorter and thinner with a generally slouching posture.