"We're warriors, not ballerinas!" - Dub Movie 12

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:43 am

Who provided the subtitles to Dragon Ball movie 2? I've noticed that absolutely NO credits to the DVD are made at all (especially with how bare it is).

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:45 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Kirbopher wrote:Well you realize that the only reason Gogeta said that line in Tenkaichi Budoukai was because all of the lines were directly translated.
Doesn't explain why it was in Buu's Fury, then... except for the possible fact that those people are entirely die-hard fans.
Oh that's right (I never got to play that one). I guess it's just because the movies wasn't dubbed yet, so the only thing they could've worked with for dialogue was the original script. That's what I can guess at least ^^;

tarsonis
Regular

Re: "We're warriors, not ballerinas!" - Dub Movie

Post by tarsonis » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:06 am

Castor Troy wrote:The quality is about the same as the rest of FUNi's movies. Some bits of pixelation, artifacts, and dot crawl.
Are you using a composite video connection? If so, that's what causes dot crawl, it has nothing to do with the way the disc was encoded.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:47 pm

Tsukento wrote:Who provided the subtitles to Dragon Ball movie 2? I've noticed that absolutely NO credits to the DVD are made at all (especially with how bare it is).
I recall Daimao once posting on a thread that he did do the translation. I believe he pointed it out to let us know that the random "wide-screeen" moments in the theme song were also on the Sleeping Princess master. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Great Saiyaman wrote:*vein throbs in side of head* Damn them, how could they change the best Gogeta quote ever!!!!!
You could always just watch the Japanese version. :)
14 years later

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:36 pm

Is there any way you could post short video clips somewhere? *Is very eager to see this dub*
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:52 pm

Great Saiyaman wrote:*vein throbs in side of head* Damn them, how could they change the best Gogeta quote ever!!!!!
Isn't that the only thing he ever says?(I am not counting Gt)

Also, I have a question. Does Pikkon swear in that part with the sheild over Yemmas Palace? I am hoping that FUNi won't change that(at least not in the uncut.)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:10 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Isn't that the only thing he ever says?(I am not counting Gt)

Also, I have a question. Does Paikuhan swear in that part with the sheild over Yemmas Palace? I am hoping that FUNi won't change that(at least not in the uncut.)
No swearing. More like "YOU STUPID BARRIER" and tame lines like that.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:13 pm

tarsonis wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:The quality is about the same as the rest of FUNi's movies. Some bits of pixelation, artifacts, and dot crawl.
Are you using a composite video connection? If so, that's what causes dot crawl, it has nothing to do with the way the disc was encoded.
I use DVI-HDMI, and (FUNi's previous discs) had dot crawl, so I wouldn't be surprised. They probably got composite masters.

-Corey

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:13 pm

Didn't Paikuhan say something more like 'Asshole' in the Jap dub? I'm not sure though, it could have been a fake translater.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:15 pm

DBZ MAN wrote:Didn't Paikuhan say something more like 'Asshole' in the Jap dub? I'm not sure though, it could have been a fake translater.
Yeah, he says it in the fansub I saw, thats why I asked that question.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:21 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:I use DVI-HDMI, and (FUNi's previous discs) had dot crawl, so I wouldn't be surprised. They probably got composite masters.
Well, I stand corrected. :) That is odd how something like that would actually be on the original tapes.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:44 pm

Big Momma wrote:
DBZ MAN wrote:Didn't Paikuhan say something more like 'Asshole' in the Jap dub? I'm not sure though, it could have been a fake translater.
Yeah, he says it in the fansub I saw, thats why I asked that question.
I actually just rewatched the movie, and since I was watching it raw, I had to actually pay attention to the spoken dialogue. The harshest thing he says (and that's the whole joke of the entire scene in question, since he's been so tame up until this point) is:

"Enma no kusojijii!"
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:51 pm

Since I don't have the movie on me at the moment, I'm assumming he said "kusojiji" which is a word for a "shitty old geezer" if I'm not mistaken (I'm not really good with vulgar Japanese.)

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:03 pm

Or we could go with the One Piece variation of the term, "crap geezer."

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:03 pm

I was thinking it meant "d*mn something" I don't know, does "kuso used for all swearwords? Because I have heard baka used for idiot and b*st*rd. Can someone clear this up for me real quick?

In case you were wondering, I am not a big cusser.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:13 pm

Kuso (糞) very literally means "feces" (crap), but when used in a curse (I usually see it in manga as くそ or クソ) it can mean "shit", "crap", or just a plethora of other curses (I would translate it as "Dammit" depending on the dialect, tone, and overall attitude of the character in question.)

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:36 pm

I'm sure that Gogeta's line wasn't really the instrument one.

Wasn't there an Ask VegettoEX question or something on it?

Fansub dressing up of the actual dialogue, and whatnot.

Also, how does Daimao translate the whole shouting at the barrier scene?
Where's the beef?

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:18 pm

:? Okey Dokey...FUNi allows profanity in the UUE but not their movies? How odd...Not that I care or anything, because really all I watch is the JP Version when I buy the DVD, unless I just have the urge to laugh at Mr. Satan's dub voice...
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:05 pm

Chaos Saiyajin wrote::? Okey Dokey...FUNi allows profanity in the UUE but not their movies? How odd...Not that I care or anything, because really all I watch is the JP Version when I buy the DVD, unless I just have the urge to laugh at Mr. Satan's dub voice...
"Damn" seems to be ok on regular television nowadays.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:50 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
Chaos Saiyajin wrote::? Okey Dokey...FUNi allows profanity in the UUE but not their movies? How odd...Not that I care or anything, because really all I watch is the JP Version when I buy the DVD, unless I just have the urge to laugh at Mr. Satan's dub voice...
"Damn" seems to be ok on regular television nowadays.
:lol: Yeah...*waits ten years for the FCC to allow 'fuck' to be said on TV*
Tsukento wrote: Or we could go with the One Piece variation of the term, "crap geezer."
Is that used only in the ViZ manga or the JP Manga too? I've always wondered that...

[back on topic]
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.