Thoughts on A hero's legacy ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Thoughts on A hero's legacy ?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:57 pm

I guess people view it as a ending to GT because fans tend to watch it after right they finish GT. Hero's Legacy is set a century after Goku leaves with Shenron and Goku just return to Earth to return the Dragon Balls.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:07 am

No you just said something about how it's not canon. You didn't say anything about how you felt about the movie.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:50 am

You're not find it weird they say there are a long peace after baby death even though straight after baby death there are armogeddon on earth continued by super 17 and dragon sagas?
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:11 pm

nickzambuto wrote:The fact that the Son and Briefs family grew distant to the point where Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr don't know each other has always struck me as pretty disheartening. I mean I thought Goku not seeing his friends in five whole years at the end of Z was sad, but this takes it to a whole new level. I mean I get that Goku is more of a loner than some people think, but c'mon.
This. I didn't hate the special but when I heard Vegeta Jr say ''Hey! I didn't know we both could become blonde'' What!? Become Blonde....Become Blonde? Become Blonde!? :P Was they taught nothing of their family and their abilities etc? :|
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:50 pm

Why majoob can even die faster than pan in the first place. Majoob is magical being he can even become chocolate and revert back to human as much as he like. Boo probably the oldest creature existed in DB series.
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:49 pm

I haven't seen it in quite sometime, however from what I can remember, I thought it was a cute little side story to cap off GT. My only complaint with it was it being too humble for it's own good. It could have incorporate more of the world after GT's conclusion (though the lack of that inclusion has more to do with it being aired after the Bebi arc for whatever reason). Maybe having it take place during/after the Tournament would have been more ideal since we could have actually seen a relationship between Gokuu Jr and Vegeta Jr.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:00 pm

I don't like it at all, and I definitely don't consider it canon. The idea that Pan's grandson (Gokū Jr.) had enough Saiyan blood to become a Super Saiyan was a bit silly, and the idea of Vegeta Jr. was pretty silly too, in my opinion. The characters weren't memorable and the story wasn't interesting. One thing I did like about it, though, was the ending. It was really sweet and nostalgic. That doesn't make up for everything I've already mentioned, though.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:59 pm

GTX wrote:You're not find it weird they say there are a long peace after baby death even though straight after baby death there are armogeddon on earth continued by super 17 and dragon sagas?
I dont really care about that stuff and I just want to know what people think about it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

HourglassIndigo
Beyond Newbie

Post by HourglassIndigo » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:24 pm

It was a good way to wrap up GT I suppose, but I found its tone to be polar opposites to GT and Z. It was heartwarming nevertheless, I remember crying for like an hour after watching it as a kid because it was basically the end of Dragon Ball at the time.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:51 pm

Well, I will say the only thing I liked about it was Mark Menza's music during the Goku meeting Goku jr scene. Other than that I thought the special was a complete waste of everything.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:56 pm

Decided to give it a second watch. While I can't deny that the special did have heart, the special was still pretty bad...
First off, let me say some positives. I like the look of the special. Goku Jr. looks enough like Goku without looking like a total Goku clone like Goten. His clothes are cool and the headband kind of makes me think of Bardock. The demons are also look fine. I like their weird transforming abilities schtick. The music was fine and the background were actually pretty nice. Everything else sucked.

Goku Jr. was pretty much a wimpier, more OP version, and less polite of Gohan and that just sucks. For most of the special he's just whining and complaining about how scared he is and when Puck isn't around to pretty much do everything for him, he just instinctively uses his innate SS powers to forcibly move the plot along. I would feel for the kid, but he's such a gosh darn coward that he just makes me annoyed. It's even more annoying that he does seem to have super human durability and strength. I mean if he didn't, then he would at least have some kind of excuse for his actions, but no. This a kid who despite being trained by Pan does absolutely nothing for the most part except run away like a coward. Because he is a coward. And unlike Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and heck even Goten and Trunks, he didn't even do anything that warranted him to get SS2. Then this freaking stupid kid forgets he even did anything meaning that he ultimately learned nothing about actually defending himself or protecting those around him.

I hate this kid. I like his design, but man... I really, really despise this sad excuse for a Dragon Ball protagonist. Kids a spoiled brat who gets everything handed to him and gets told by Goku that he was brave despite the fact that he ran away from all his opponents, even when his friends were about to be killed.

Puck was only really thrown in as a means to progress the plot. He's a bully character who has no hints of being a good guy, but then suddenly becomes a good guy because of reasons. I was hoping to see Puck be somewhat of a mentor to Goku. You know, someone who could create decent dialogue with Goku. They could have done something to explain why Goku Jr. is such a pathetic, sad, disgraceful human being, but he just ends up doing everything for Goku Jr. until he has to die, but not really because of happy ending or Goku Shenlong god powers.

The demons are just randomly thrown in as a means to create conflict. They're bland villains who while having interesting enough designs are completely forgettable. In fact, besides Pan, Puck, and Goku, everyone in this special is a gigantic a-hole, even Goku Jr. who moronically taunted the demons when he thought he was safe from them.

The story is a bland adventure that we the audience knew was doomed from the start. We already know getting one Dragon Ball does nothing and that Shenlong can't heal natural illness. The only plus was the fact that Goku had to come in and save the special with his mere presence and by also rightfully reprimanding Goku Jr. for A. not listening to Pan and B. for lack of better words, being a total bitch.

I know I'm probably being a bit too harsh here, but I really didn't care for this special at all. I like it even less after a second viewing. At the least, I can be glad that he actually kind of mans up on the last episode of GT and actually fights that terrible looking Vegeta clone who has an even more mature face than Vegeta during the Saiyan arc for some reason. While I despise the Bardock special, I much prefer that special to this one. Because at the very least I only hated to spooge/SPUG aliens and was neutral towards everyone else. Sure Bardock becoming SS is stupid and the whole past thing is also stupid, but hey at least the characters are only kind of stupid.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:27 am

GTX wrote:You're not find it weird they say there are a long peace after baby death even though straight after baby death there are armogeddon on earth continued by super 17 and dragon sagas?
Well GT is set in one year from what I can remember. After All Hero's Legacy and the final episode of GT are set in the same year and time. So Hero's Legacy is still canon to the show.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:01 pm

I only watched it once but back when i saw it it felt really emotional. Right now remembering it makes me cry.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:05 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Well GT is set in one year from what I can remember. After All Hero's Legacy and the final episode of GT are set in the same year and time. So Hero's Legacy is still canon to the show.
That's not even matter. I don't see any reason to make the GT being 1 year or 5 or 20 year even matter.
Hero's legacy timeline is a whole mess even db wikia put it in wrong timeline.
You cannot deny the fact there is a big goku cemetery when goku is not even dead.
How can even there was cemetery that big eventhough there is no body inside it.

So since the beginning it's never meant to be canon. It was contradicting GT a lot.
It's special usually special is just a filler or in other word random story.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:I only watched it once but back when i saw it it felt really emotional. Right now remembering it makes me cry.
It was silly android twins, roshi and majuub die in less than 100 years
Of course this is viewed as something that directly related to GT not the story of the movie itself.

Actually if that happened 100 years in the future of GT. The world martial artist tournament won't take place.
I think it's safe to assume that is impossible for hero's legacy to take place.
The cemetery already the obvious major plothole in hero's legacy .

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:07 pm

You do know that it's quite common for there to be body-less burials in the real world, so why would it necessarily be an impossibility in the Dragon Ball world. Besides, given that the GT special takes place one hundred years after the battle with Ii Shinlon and Goku heaving with Shenlon, who's to say that Goku's family didn't decide to just assume he was dead for the sake of simplicity, especially given the fact that he was gone for longer than his life would have normally allowed.

Anyway, given that Goku isn't shown with a halo in the special, that'd tie in with your notion that he wasn't actually dead, which again, ties in with the final episode of GT. No real contradiction there.
Actually if that happened 100 years in the future of GT. The world martial artist tournament won't take place.
Why wouldn't it take place? It had been going on for several decades before the start of Dragon Ball, so why would it have to stop 100 years after the battle with Ii Shinlon.
Nothing contradicts its placement within GT's continuity, despite your reservations about the cemetery situation. It ties directly into the final scenes of the anime, showing where and how Goku Jr acquired the Ssj transformation the first time that we clearly see him use during the final scenes of the anime. If anything, one could argue that the scenes of Goku Jr and Pan at the end of GT were added intentionally to link GT to the special.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:53 pm

GTX wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
That's not even matter. I don't see any reason to make the GT being 1 year or 5 or 20 year even matter.
Hero's legacy timeline is a whole mess even db wikia put it in wrong timeline.
You cannot deny the fact there is a big goku cemetery when goku is not even dead.

So since the beginning it's never meant to be canon. It was contradicting GT a lot.
It's special usually special is just a filler or in other word random story.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:I only watched it once but back when i saw it it felt really emotional. Right now remembering it makes me cry.
It was silly android twins, roshi and majuub die in less than 100 years
Of course this is viewed as something that directly related to GT not the story of the movie itself.

The cemetery already the obvious major plothole in hero's legacy .
I like you said even the DB wikia got it wrong. The DB wikia getting info wrong is par for the course.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
You do know that it's quite common for there to be body-less burials in the real world, so why would it necessarily be an impossibility in the Dragon Ball world. Besides, given that the GT special takes place one hundred years after the battle with Ii Shinlon and Goku heaving with Shenlon, who's to say that Goku's family didn't decide to just assume he was dead for the sake of simplicity, especially given the fact that he was gone for longer than his life would have normally allowed.

Anyway, given that Goku isn't shown with a halo in the special, that'd tie in with your notion that he wasn't actually dead, which again, ties in with the final episode of GT. No real contradiction there.
Why wouldn't it take place? It had been going on for several decades before the start of Dragon Ball, so why would it have to stop 100 years after the battle with Ii Shinlon.
Nothing contradicts its placement within GT's continuity, despite your reservations about the cemetery situation. It ties directly into the final scenes of the anime, showing where and how Goku Jr acquired the Ssj transformation the first time that we clearly see him use during the final scenes of the anime. If anything, one could argue that the scenes of Goku Jr and Pan at the end of GT were added intentionally to link GT to the special.
It's obvious nobody make a cemetery for someone which is not dead. It contradict and so many level. And no bodyless cemetery is not common let alone to be placed in common public cemetery.
1. there is no bodyless cemetery except for cremated remain. And pan doesn't have goku's ashes.
2. They don't create a tombstone and grave that huge for bodyless grave.' Instead of bodyless grave it's much more fit to be called FAKE GRAVE because there is nothing inside not even ashes. It's even very stupid to place fake grave in normal cemetery.
3. You don't put a bodyless grave in common graveyard or cemetery with body

You can back your claim with proof but i don't think you can because it's very stupid thing to happen.
You can start by making logical reasoning about that fake grave and why pan talking to goku and paying respect in front it but i don't think you can
Because in GT there is halo but we cannot say the same the rule applies on random filler like hero legacy.
There is good reason that people believe that gt was extended for another 2 season that because at the end of GT when the event of flashback occured they'v only shown the event until Baby. They didn't put the event of of dragon saga or super 17

(2) Because world martial art tournament happened every three year after 21st tenkaichi. 100 year after GT would place it one year after annual tenkaichi.
(3) No that because it contradict GT. The grave is the most stupid thing to happen it's too obvious and it's very stupid to defend it, honestly.
I like you said even the DB wikia got it wrong. The DB wikia getting info wrong is par for the course.
I take one

Age 880

Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. is born.
hero's legacy happened less than 100 year after GT and goku jr already in primary school. Age 880 mean even after 100 year the goku jr is still newly being born in db universe.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:49 am

2. They don't create a tombstone and grave that huge for bodyless grave.' Instead of bodyless grave it's much more fit to be called FAKE GRAVE because there is nothing inside not even ashes. It's even very stupid to place fake grave in normal cemetery.
It actually happens fairly often when the body isn't available for one reason or another. Not simply for if the body is cremated or anything. If an individual is missing and presumed dead, burials will involve a bodyless grave, with all the pomp and circumstance of a burial with one. Full-sized gravestone and everything. It's far more common than you think, so given that it's not unreasonable for Goku's family to think he's dead (given he's gone for so long)
Because in GT there is halo but we cannot say the same the rule applies on random filler like hero legacy.
However, you're not understanding that Goku wasn't shown with a halo when he appeared in the special, which conforms to what was shown in the final episode of GT, that he wasn't actually dead there either.
(2) Because world martial art tournament happened every three year after 21st tenkaichi. 100 year after GT would place it one year after annual tenkaichi.
There have been official changes in how many years there are between the Budoukais, with three and four year gaps being shown. In addition, why would that be a reason to consider the special "not-canon" to GT, when it's GT that shows the actual Budoukai, 100 years after the end of GT. It's not the special that shows it, but the actual final episode of GT.

So again, there is nothing about the GT Special that contradicts what is shown in GT in any shape or form. It fits perfectly with the last scenes of GT that show Goku and Vegeta Jr 100 years after the final battle with Ii Shinlon.

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:47 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
It actually happens fairly often when the body isn't available for one reason or another. Not simply for if the body is cremated or anything. If an individual is missing and presumed dead, burials will involve a bodyless grave, with all the pomp and circumstance of a burial with one. Full-sized gravestone and everything. It's far more common than you think, so given that it's not unreasonable for Goku's family to think he's dead (given he's gone for so long)
However, you're not understanding that Goku wasn't shown with a halo when he appeared in the special, which conforms to what was shown in the final episode of GT, that he wasn't actually dead there either.
There have been official changes in how many years there are between the Budoukais, with three and four year gaps being shown. In addition, why would that be a reason to consider the special "not-canon" to GT, when it's GT that shows the actual Budoukai, 100 years after the end of GT. It's not the special that shows it, but the actual final episode of GT.

So again, there is nothing about the GT Special that contradicts what is shown in GT in any shape or form. It fits perfectly with the last scenes of GT that show Goku and Vegeta Jr 100 years after the final battle with Ii Shinlon.
I'm not asking your opinions but hard evidences/ proofs because i'm busy too. So stop circling around.
Just give the solid proof instead of making things up because i know you can't.

You're totally wrong. There is no statement about how many years has happened in the time skip of GT.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:25 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
I like the way you think. It's very well thought out and structured. I agree with you, The final episode of GT fits perfectly to the Special. If anything, the reason they said 100 years after the Bebi Saga is because they wanted to prevent spoilers. The whole "Goku is dead" debate did not start after Bebi's Saga but rather after Omega's demise. A 100 years later is the way to say Goku died because (Natural causes maybe) it wasn't physically possible for him to be alive after such amount of years after Bebi. When the Special came out, we did not have reasons to believe that Goku was dead a 100 years before (Whether after Bebi or Omega).
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.