Battle of Gods in Portugal

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Battle of Gods in Portugal

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Rukura wrote:Bummer that they went full-on with the dubisms, urgh. At this point, I'm okay with not getting a dub, considering the treatment it'd get. AND the reaction from both sides of the fandom, which Sailor Moon Crystal clearly showed.
SaintEvolution wrote:"Bills" and "Wiss" are romanizations of "Birusu" and "Wiszu". Just that, it's not really incorrect.
Except it is. You could romanize Super Saiyan Blue as Super Saiyan Buruu all day, but it'd still be wrong no matter how many times you wrote it. And it's still a romanization sooooo if you don't wanna accept it, more power to ya?
SaintEvolution wrote:And yeah, "Lunch" is not incorrect too.
It's not incorrect because it's in line with the pun. You're basically proving yourself wrong on the Beerus and Whis front.
How are you defining "incorrect"? Is the best romanization which carries the pun "correct"? Would you disagree that any spelling which follows proper romanization rules is correct?

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:51 pm

Rukura wrote:Bummer that they went full-on with the dubisms, urgh. At this point, I'm okay with not getting a dub, considering the treatment it'd get. AND the reaction from both sides of the fandom, which Sailor Moon Crystal clearly showed.
SaintEvolution wrote:"Bills" and "Wiss" are romanizations of "Birusu" and "Wiszu". Just that, it's not really incorrect.
Except it is. You could romanize Super Saiyan Blue as Super Saiyan Buruu all day, but it'd still be wrong no matter how many times you wrote it. And it's still a romanization sooooo if you don't wanna accept it, more power to ya?.

"Blue" is incorrect to be "Buruu" because it's the english word been romanized, and not a based word in that word.

"Bills" is a romanization of "birusu", not a romanization of "beer", as "Wiss" is a different writing of "Whis", but not a different writing of "Whiskey". It's not incorrect.
If the purpose if follow the original name reference at the maximum, we all have to call "Son Goku" as "Sun Wukong", 'cause "Goku" is the japanese writing of the chinese word "Wukong" and the character was based in the chinese story of Sun Wukong.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:51 pm

Sorry to bump this thread back up, but did anyone ever find out how the licensing worked here?

It was said that NOS (ZON, at the time) had aquired the rights to Battle of Gods for Portugal, except nothing ever happened with that. Did Netflix get the streaming rights own its own? Did they get them through NOS? Is there any way to even know any of that?

Is there any info in the credits or the movie's page regarding rights and licensing, or who was in charge of the subtitles?
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:36 am

Sorry for bumping this thread, but there's a new Netflix trailer being presented on Youtube and when they show Battle of Gods clips with Vegeta, I don't recognize it as being Horikawa or Sabat's voice. Did they dub the film? Or is it the Brazilian dub they're using?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:39 am

I dunno, can you give us a link?
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:47 am

The ad just links it to the Netflix website, there's no video on Youtube.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:52 am

Yeah, been meaning to ask about that too.

Should be easy to find, it plays before every other video if you're watching Youtube on Android.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:33 am

Haven't been able to find it yet. But it's probably the Castillian VA, since the Spanish dub is available on Netflix too.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:12 pm

I talked with João Loy one month ago and when asked, he didn't hint anything about this.
Just the same talk as always "If it ever comes to Portugal, we will do our best blablabla". Some miracles just don't happen.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:21 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:I talked with João Loy one month ago and when asked, he didn't hint anything about this.
Just the same talk as always "If it ever comes to Portugal, we will do our best blablabla". Some miracles just don't happen.
Do you happen to know if NOVAGA studio is still operating?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:29 pm

I hope not. They tend to put zero effort into their stuff. I'd rather some other studio pick it up with the same cast.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Tian wrote: Do you happen to know if NOVAGA studio is still operating?
Doubt it. But I'm not sure.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Puto wrote:I hope not. They tend to put zero effort into their stuff. I'd rather some other studio pick it up with the same cast.
I'd rather they just replace everyone except Feist and Spínola.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Personally I thought Cristina Cavalinhos was perfect as Bulma, for example.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:49 pm

I think some of the other roles were good too, but I'd honestly prefer if they just do a major cast overhaul (not like there were many cast members to begin with, anyway), just keeping Feist as Goku and Spínola as Vegeta (I prefer him to Loy, but he's acceptable too).

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:51 pm

Yeah, I vastly prefer Spínola over Loy, too. Didn't care for Loy's Vegeta at all, and was disappointed when they went back to him in GT.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:44 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think some of the other roles were good too, but I'd honestly prefer if they just do a major cast overhaul (not like there were many cast members to begin with, anyway), just keeping Feist as Goku and Spínola as Vegeta (I prefer him to Loy, but he's acceptable too).
Well, It's not like they will ever manage to get Vitor Rocha or Joaquim Monchique back, but I don't want them to take Cristinha Cavalinhos out of Bulma nor Fernanda Figueiredo out of Krillin (even if they did in GT). And then you run into the problem that Portuguese dubs of anime these days only really include 5-6 actors at a time so you'd most likely get Mário Bomba or Tiago Caetano into yet another shonen series and ugh fuck Portugal and the way it treats anime.

I'd like for them to get Feist, Spinola, Cavalinhos and Figueiredo back (because I honestly don't believe João Loy would do a good job at either Vegeta or Piccolo these days considering how he was getting worse during GT's run), add in Rogério Jacques as Yamcha so we can finally have our Portuguese Tōru Furuya and then give it the Sailor Moon Crystal treatment by having competent scripts, no dub-isms and good newcommers into new and classic roles.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:48 pm

If Portugal gets RoF dubbed (even though I know that´s unlikely to happen), Ricardo Spínola must be replaced as Frieza (he´s good in other roles but Frieza...) I don´t want to offend
Last edited by Tian on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:48 pm

Be it as it may, the only voice actor I'd honestly miss a lot would be Feist, he's incredibly talented and he's the best voice we've got over here for Goku. But I'm not very familiar with our anime dubs either, I only watched the One Piece dub and the Pokémon dub, and God they're terrible (the old Pokémon dub was acceptable, I guess, but the new voices are awful honestly).

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:04 pm

I don't know what you're talking about, the Pokémon dub is one of the best dubbing jobs I've seen in this country.