Jaco and tights in DBZ Resurrection F

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZfan2015

Jaco and tights in DBZ Resurrection F

Post by DBZfan2015 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:50 pm

I watched the new movie yesterday, and it was good. My only complaint is they added Jaco and Tights (mentioned only) in the movie with no backstory. Not everyone is going to know who they are. To be honest, I didn't know who they were until I did research online. I was confused and lost.

This was my face everytime Jaco appeared.
:crazy: :?:

This was my face when I learn Bulma has a sister
:shock:

I had no clue who Jaco was until I googled. I wish they explain these new characters in the anime. I don't read the Jaco manga.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Jaco and tights in DBZ Resurrection F

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Yeah it's kinda confusing. Toei really should've had a 3-4 episode mini series of Jaco to clue people in. but the Jaco manga is a prequel to DB (a good one at that. Only 13 chapters though). I recommend it.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:28 pm

The movie does explain who Jaco is basically (A member of the Galactic Patrol). I don't see why you need to know any more to enjoy Resurrection F. And if you'd absolutely like to know more, the manga's out there. :D

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:36 pm

To be fair, Tights is a bit of a throwaway characters in that she doesn't contribute much to the Dragon Ball Universe as whole, so you're not really missing out on not knowing more about Bulma's sister. Jaco, on the other, yeah, he could having used with a bit of exposition to explain his background. I have a feeling after the ROF arc, Toei will do a mini arc based on his manga focusing on Jaco, considering in the Universe 6 arc he becomes a significant supporting character.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:18 am

LuckyCat wrote:The movie does explain who Jaco is basically (A member of the Galactic Patrol). I don't see why you need to know any more to enjoy Resurrection F. And if you'd absolutely like to know more, the manga's out there. :D
I'm with this comment. The movie absolutely gives you everything you "need" to know about Jaco to "understand" who he is and why he's there. His entire entrance scene is nothing but exposition. Not everything needs to be an origin story flashback. Give yourself some credit as a consumer!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:43 am

VegettoEX wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:The movie does explain who Jaco is basically (A member of the Galactic Patrol). I don't see why you need to know any more to enjoy Resurrection F. And if you'd absolutely like to know more, the manga's out there. :D
I'm with this comment. The movie absolutely gives you everything you "need" to know about Jaco to "understand" who he is and why he's there. His entire entrance scene is nothing but exposition. Not everything needs to be an origin story flashback. Give yourself some credit as a consumer!
True but I'd still like to see at least an OVA . The manga was really good for there not to be

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:47 am

I don't disagree, but that's a separate request/hope/dream entirely. As it stands, and as I noted, every bit of base information you get in the movie is everything you need to know about Jaco.

For that matter, the same goes for Freeza. You can watch the movie never having seen the Freeza arc of the series, and you get everything you need to know to understand him. You of course get MORE out of it having known/seen everything, but it's not required.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:51 am

VegettoEX wrote:I don't disagree, but that's a separate request/hope/dream entirely. As it stands, and as I noted, every bit of base information you get in the movie is everything you need to know about Jaco.

For that matter, the same goes for Freeza. You can watch the movie never having seen the Freeza arc of the series, and you get everything you need to know to understand him. You of course get MORE out of it having known/seen everything, but it's not required.
You can honestly apply that to anything Dragon Ball related ever. It's an easily accessible series. It's no surprise that a lot of people in the West started with Z and never needed DB to understand the story. You don't need to watch the Red Ribbon Army arc to understand the Cell arc, even when the latter tries to tie in with the former. Most of DB's arcs, especially around part 2 of the manga, can function well as self-contained stories.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:53 am

I don't know. On one hand, Jaco was one of the few things I enjoyed about FnF. But that's because I was "in on the joke" as it were. If I wasn't, I can definitely see myself being further frustrated at what the hell this random guy is doing there, why I'm supposed to care about him, why he has more screentime than most of the actual Dragon Ball characters, and what in the world he's doing in this movie in the first place (Although to be fair, even knowing who Jaco is, I'm still at a loss as to why he was in the movie outside of marketing purposes...). Because while Jaco the Galactic Patrolman has a tie-in to Dragon Ball, Jaco's not a character from Dragon Ball. He's a character from another series entirely.

Now, I used to be a big Tenchi Muyo! fan, particularly of the OVA continuity. And when the long-awaited third OVA came out, I was really excited. Granted, I was so excited that I bought the first disc, and it promptly sat in my mom's attic for the next several years to follow. But on visiting her a couple of years ago, I finally got it out and watched it. And one of the few things I remember was when all of these... people... just show up in Tenchi's house, do some obnoxious yet unimportant things, and leave. Who the hell were they? I don't know. I looked it up. They're from Tenchi Muyo! GXP apparently. I never watched Tenchi Muyo! GXP. And GXP characters being shoehorned into a different series I liked sure as hell didn't make me want to watch GXP. It is DEFINITELY more than a little jarring to finish episode 13 of a series, then pop in episode 14, and feel like you've missed something. So I can definitely understand why fans who have followed every Dragon Ball series and movie to come into this movie and feel alienated that they're now expected to be up to date with another Toriyama series too.

And it's not just about having to do the work. Like I said with Jaco, I still don't know why he was in the movie. Because there's really no reason for him to be there. Just like I suspect with the GXP cameos, he is simply there to cross-promote, not because he needs to be in the story. And when you start doing things like that, you are diminishing the story for the sake of an advertisement. And that's insulting.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:04 pm

I don't know much about Jaco, maybe I'll read into him more.

I heard Tights was supposed to be Bulma's older sister. I find that extremely odd. Where the heck has she been all these years during Dragonball, DBZ, and to a smaller extent GT? She was never mentioned once before, both in the Manga and in the Anime, nor is she mentioned by Bulma herself or her parents.

I guess Toriyama will fill in those holes, hopefully.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm okay with Jaco, since, as stated above, there's plenty of exposition included in his appearance in the movie.

However, I fully understand the offhand references to Tights in RF and Tarble in BoG going over the head of the casual western fan. Personally, I think those should have been left out.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Although I knew who he was, what he was from, and the fact that what he was from tied into Dragon Ball, I hadn't read Jaco prior to watching Resurrection F. In spite of this, Jaco was still one of my favorite things about the film.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:02 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:However, I fully understand the offhand references to Tights in RF and Tarble in BoG going over the head of the casual western fan. Personally, I think those should have been left out.
I really don't understand that sentiment. Nothing in the movies hinges on the viewers' knowledge of those ancillary characters so the mentions are non-obtrusive. They're just cute references for fans in the know. They also preemptively stop any complaints like "why wouldn't they mention Tarble when talking about needing Saiyans for SSG."

They're basically harmless.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:38 am

Zephyr wrote:Although I knew who he was, what he was from, and the fact that what he was from tied into Dragon Ball, I hadn't read Jaco prior to watching Resurrection F. In spite of this, Jaco was still one of my favorite things about the film.
I think that's what they were going for. If people get interested in learning more about Jaco, then mission accomplished, but everything we *needed* to know was in the movie, and the rest is just bonus.