20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball GT

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:09 am

Since the Dragon Ball anime turns 30, why not have the 20th Anniversary of GT for 2016? Any ideas for some pre-GT backstory in Super?

Another idea is let FUNimation re-dub GT using their current cast and the scripts based on the original versions. Any #GT20Years ideas?
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: 20th Anniversary of Dragon Ball GT

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:20 am

I will give my props to GT... for nearly killing the franchise and the anime industry in Japan almost 20 years ago.

How it did that is unbelievable.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:23 am

Release Tokunaga's score in its entirety.

A man can dream.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:46 am

A re-dub would be pointless since it would be a waste of time and money. GT is dislike by most fans and I don't think many people will want to see a re-dub of GT. GT holds a lot of nostalgia for me since I do remember long before it came out in the US that I would hear rumors of what happens in GT and seeing all of the cool pictures of GT as a 10 year old kid. Even I wanted to buy a Gold Finger for the Playstation just to play Final Bout since I remember playing it at a local Japanese shop.

People will say rumors about GT and what would happen in GT at my school. Telling me that GT would be so much darker and serious then DBZ. Just seeing pictures of GT as a kid made me so hype up for the show. It had a SSj4, Super 17 (Who I thought looked really cool at the time), Goku becoming a kid again, evil dragons and the return of classic villains. At the time, the Internet was pretty limited and so I had to go out to dig out my own research on GT. Once I saw the first episode subbed, I knew deep down that I was in for a disappointment. For a while, I refuse to admit GT was bad. As time went on, I did admit that GT sucked. GT is one of the biggest letdowns in the series to me. Super may not live up to the hype, but I knew it won't when they announce that they where going to retell BOG & ROF.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:53 am

Well I don't think it really should be celebrated, but I can at least say it can be more entertaining than that piece of shit Dragon Ball Super. It can also be less entertaining too. It's got much higher high points than Super, but also lower low points than Super. I can still easily say it can do a pretty decent fight scene, which Super can't even dream of doing apparently.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:56 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I will give my props to GT... for nearly killing the franchise and the anime industry in Japan almost 20 years ago.

Jesus, talk about an overreaction.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:59 am

20th Anniversary for trash?

TOEI themselves might wanna erase any memories of GT & how it resulted in subsequent death of DB franchise in Japan (but hey, Super's here for last rites) & expecting a.....freakin anniversary?

GT gets soo much heat, it could turn 90% fandom into Majins :twisted:

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:02 am

It should have went at least a 100 episodes.... All the crazy things aside I actually enjoyed GT for what it was and I love SSJ4, I just convinced myself that It's a whole new body to explain the clothes thing. That's honestly the only thing that irritated me in the series and It was a fun ride for what it was.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:03 am

2016 should be the anniversary of Z's English dub premiere. I suppose GT could have a celebration too but it's not exactly popular with the fanbase.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:54 am

I was thinking of doing a magazine that includes fan arts and different other collaborations from members of the forum (Yes, just like the one from Kanzenshuu, but shorter and only based on GT)
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:04 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I will give my props to GT... for nearly killing the franchise and the anime industry in Japan almost 20 years ago.

:?

You're right; it is unbelievable. As in, I don't understand how you got that idea.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:06 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:

You're right; it is unbelievable. As in, I don't understand how you got that idea.
We GT fans get that a lot, it's just pure and utter non sense.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:08 am

I'm currently 47 episodes into a Christmas re-watch of GT, the first time that I've done so all the way through in probably five or six years.

I'm finding it as frustrating as always, but I think with all of the issues that Super is having being so fresh in my thinking, I have a renewed respect and appreciation for GT's aesthetic - but that's about it.

Otherwise, what's most profound is just how dramatically different the characterisation of Goku in GT is to how he has been portrayed in the recent films and Super. I think Toriyama has definitely stripped Goku back down to his roots, and I guess I quite like that, even if arguably, apart from the occasionally flashes of poison, Goku has been depicted recently as more of a straightforward caricature than ever.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:26 am

Maybe they could do a low budget short revolving around Goku's training with Uub or something.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:40 am

User-Hates GT.

Sees GT forum of a fan of GT

Goes to forum to bash what the uploader likes

Real mature people! No better then the people going to Kai videos, super forums bashing it. You're like the Naruto fan who comes to a DBZ forum to say Goku sucks, or vice versa. Gt rocks. Get over it.

Gt's 20th should have a special or a lost episodes arc, kinda like what funi did with the space arc. Probably wont happen. It'll just be something in heroes most likely if anything. Toei is real lazy anymore. Wont even fix super eyecatches even though it's just ONE PICTURE. XD
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Gt may not have the best story (The Baby arc was overall handled better then the other arcs) but one thing it does have is great production value.

Great animation.
Great music.
Great opening and ending songs.
Some great character designs.
Decent fights.
dbzfan7 wrote:I can at least say it can be more entertaining than that piece of shit Dragon Ball Super.
At this point watching glue dry is more entertaining then watching Super.
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:Gt's 20th should have a special.
Gt is being used a lot in heroes so it could happen, something like Ssj4 Broly fighting Goku,Vegeta&Gohan.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Vijay wrote:20th Anniversary for trash?
What is Dragon Ball Super then? A Junk heap?

I wish they would do something new with GT.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Okay... Imma be real and say release the Japanese score. Maybe even the Dragon Box GT internationally.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:

It didn't kill the anime industry, but GT did put the series on hold for years. We didn't get any new Dragon Ball animation until 2008 when Son Goku and His Friends Returns. If GT did better then we would have gotten a longer show or another show in the late 90's. I think GT would have gotten a different ending too if the show didn't flop.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Anyone got any facts that GT left on the franchise?