Thoughts on Great Saiyaman

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Thoughts on Great Saiyaman

Post by precita » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:44 pm

^ Because there's still crime and normal humans can be killed by guns in this show? They made plenty of regular criminals/thieves/robbers in the anime for Saiyaman to take care of.

Even Krillin became a cop to take care of criminals in the Freeza movie.

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:10 pm

I strongly dislike anything in relation to Great Saiyaman, I pray that we have seen the last of him.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:31 pm

FoolsGil wrote:I hated the idea immensely. It was a total genre shift, and there was no supervillain so what was the point?
To see Gohan's inept and wacky attempts at being a traditional superhero.

How great is that sequence where he's so excited to show everyone his outfit, and everyone thinks it looks horrible? How great is it?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:40 pm

Cipher wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hated the idea immensely. It was a total genre shift, and there was no supervillain so what was the point?
To see Gohan's inept and wacky attempts at being a traditional superhero.

How great is that sequence where he's so excited to show everyone his outfit, and everyone thinks it looks horrible? How great is it?
It's fantastic. The charm of the Great Saiyaman schtick is everyone but Gohan finding it stupid. That is what makes it so damn entertaining.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Great Saiyaman is stupid, goofy, cheesy and at times cringe worthy... I fucking love it. I especially love Gohan's ridiculous dance moves, such as this one from Battle of Gods:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Great Saiyaman is stupid, goofy, cheesy and at times cringe worthy... I fucking love it. I especially love Gohan's ridiculous dance moves, such as this one from Battle of Gods:

That's what makes it awesome. He thinks it's cool, while everyone else thinks it's really dumb. I love the Great Saiyaman. I've said time and time again that if I had super powers like him, I'd probably show off and do super hero stuff too. If criminals think I look dumb, I can intimidate the crap out of them like Gohan did. Who wouldn't want to play or dick around with super powers? I know I would.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:15 pm

I like the Great Saiyaman for what he is, a corny gag parody of the super-sentai genre. I would have liked him even better if Toriyama had actually played it straight and wrote the Great Saiyaman as a serious character. Then we could have had awkward high-school Gohan who is nerdy and doesn't get girls, and we could have had a serious matured version of end-of-Cell-arc Gohan at the same time. The whole thing feels like a missed opportunity, especially since so many people feel like Gohan's character actually regressed after the Cell arc.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:21 pm

I wonder if people forget Saiyaman is also a throwback to the wacky humor of Dragonball, when everything wasn't all "serious" and "badass" and "played straight."

Seriously, its comedy. Its a sense of humor before the main plot of the Buu saga begins. People make a big deal out of nothing.

Sinestro
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sinestro » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:28 pm

To me, his Great Saiyaman persona makes sense.

After the horrors he's witnessed, and faced, and after inadvertently causing his father's death....

If he wasn't laughing or goofing off, he'd just snap.

Actually, that's probably all just in my head.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:54 pm

I like the great saiyaman concept and execution, but I preferred the scenes from the arc where Gohan was just Gohan in high school.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:15 pm

His little arc is a lot better than the actual Majin Boo meat especially after Vegeta's sacrifice.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:23 am

I love it. Not only is it hilarious, but it actually gives Gohan a personality, with flaws! You could argue he wasn't a particularly interesting character in the early parts of Z. He was just "the kid". The Great Saiyaman taught us that, despite everything he's gone through, Gohan is a massive dork. It made me look back at his character beforehand and realise "yeah, that makes sense. That's the kind of person he is, and I guess he was always like that."
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:24 am

I enjoyed Saiyaman as well, and I also thought the outfit looked nice when Gohan was fighting Dabura without the cape or headgear on.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:06 am

I liked him a lot...
Last edited by Kuririn Fan on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:33 pm

He should have taken inspiration from Batman.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:51 pm

To be honest, I didn't really like the idea at first, because it looked kinda embarrassing. I had (and still have ) a fairly low tolerance for secondhand embarrassment. One of the reasons why I didn't want to watch BoG, even if Vegeta wasn't one of my favorites characters :D I don't mind seeing characters in silly situations ( I like to imagine them myself :P ), but only a certain kind.
But I appreciate what the concept did for Gohan's character and how this reflects his outlook on fighting.

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:12 pm

I actually might've facepalmed when I first saw Gohan's Saiyaman antics in the Buu saga. Maybe the dub is to blame in that department, but I still cringe at Gohan being that nerdy and oblivious as a teenager. It's entirely in character though, so I give it points for that. It even makes sense in context, seeing as how Gohan just wants to fit in, in the everyday world, but still wants to help out every now and then.
Last edited by Man-Child on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:49 pm

I generally like Kamen Rider/tokusatsu parodies, so it was a good idea if you ask me.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

UltimateSSJG

Post by UltimateSSJG » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:17 pm

It was really refreshing seeing Gohan in this new light as the great saiyaman. Personally, I really wish there were more saiyaman antics with high school gohan trying to fit into society being a saiyan and rivalling with Mr Satan being Earths "protector".

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:10 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:His little arc is a lot better than the actual Majin Boo meat especially after Vegeta's sacrifice.
As much as it pains me to admit, this is true

After Veggie's sacrifice, the arc sorta loses all steam. It definetly hit its peak with Veggie & Goku coming back to fight Buu though.

On topic, Great Saiyaman Gohan was the only bearable form of Gohan. As much as I hate Gohan (iconic potential & anger abuser), I felt AT really balanced his character well as Great Saiyaman.

He was this...weird kid who is kinda like Goku. Wants to help people. But not Goku

His trade-mark purely innocent & blur, not really understanding intrinsic surroundings was played exceptionally well by Masako Nozawa.