Explain to me how Beerus is original or a good character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Explain to me how Beerus is original or a good character

Post by Nex Carnifex » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:00 am

Strongest person in the universe who everyone knows about and is scared of. Uses power to humiliate and push people around including King Vegeta in front of young Vegeta: Frieza

Obsessed with food, childish: Super Buu

Doesn't really have much of a motive except entertaining himself and spares the heros so that they may have a chance to bring forth a worthy challenger to test his perceived superiority out of boredom: Perfect Cell

Has a rival God whom he competes with regularly for example seeing who holds the strongest fighters: King Kai in the Otherworld Tournament arc

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Explain to me how Beerus is original or a good character

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:03 am

Explain to me why nearly every time you make a thread, its to whine/complain about something in the series for what seems to be for the sole purpose of said whining/complaining.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:09 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Explain to me why nearly every time you make a thread, its to whine/complain about something in the series for what seems to be for the sole purpose of said whining/complaining.
You didn't answer my question why should I answer yours

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:41 am

If Super Buu or Perfect Cell showed up in Resurrection F I highly doubt they would have just sat on the sidelines and told Goku they weren't going to help as if there was a chance they were going to help him.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:55 am

Seriously ? When are you gonna stop this shit ?,all you do is come here and nitpick every single thing about the new materials.You have been warned days ago by VegettoEX but it seems like you didnt listen. :x

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:01 am

Because he has a good backstory and he has a lot of personality. Compare him to the other crappy Toei characters that have one dimensional personalities like Lord Slug, Bojack, Super #13, Coola, General Rildo, Super 17 and Yi Xing Long. He was something fresh for a villain that we haven't got in a while.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheatreStyleKai
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheatreStyleKai » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:10 am

He's original in the sense that Dragon Ball hasn't used an animal based person in a long time, his physique and style of clothing are also new additions and interesting. I would also argue that the concept of a God of Destruction is an interesting addition to Dragon Ball's vague Godhood mythology. As for how he's a good character, he's not. His very existence is a collection of plot holes ranging from minor to massive, requiring several retcons instead of just trying to write him into the lore proper.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:50 am

He actually is a break from what the series has seen previously -- a sort of capricious, neutral antagonist. Or, after his initial appearance, an ally who retains all of his sociopathic/murderous tendencies, but is ordained by the series' structure of deities and too powerful to stop or call out.

It really is a role we haven't seen before; someone who's ostensibly a friend, but is incredibly removed from the rest of the characters in terms of both emotion and strength (not to mention possessing a fun selfish streak of his own). From a story-structure perspective, we haven't had a character stick around this long as a goalpost either (mostly because from Piccolo onward, the strongest character at any moment is the villain du jour). As far as we know, Goku and Vegeta are still quite a ways off from being able to surpass him -- and then there's Whis.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:13 am

Consider me an ardent DB/Toriyama fan

I'm sensitive when anyone bash Toriyama. Hell, I spent hours arguing/debatin over trivial details about DBZ

But here's 1 thing. Even the most dillusional blatant fanboyism snaps da moment your facing a moment in ur life

Ur fav mangaka draws a poop. Literally a poop. Give the poop some traits & plots revolve abt him. In the world filled with lively, natural creatures a poop gets centre-stage.

Here's ur choice

1. Glorify the poop. Cuz its created by ur fav guy after all. Anythi he creates is pure gold! Poop might well be....a different kind of "gold". Either u swallow ur intelligence/pride in exchange of poop OR

2. Use ur brain. Think for urself. Back-off

I did the latter. Personally, I equate Beerus to a poop & whatever original, backstory, funny traits whoevet associate with him comes across only as desperate attempt to paint an ugly wall with attractive drawings.

Everythin about Beerus is garbage. His OverPowering makes me wanna puke. So-called funny antics are as funny as watchin ur wife bein raped by 20 SOB's

Now I may not be posting topics & whine abt Super as frequent as the OP. But that doesnt mean I'm swtisfied with the garbagr direction my childhood is headed now

But I realize just how VegetoEx has repeatedly warned the user for voicing his displeasure & da same could happen to me. I'll just play cool.

whitetop

Post by whitetop » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:13 am

As others say, its original,

With the story they look to be trying new things, bring it in more while the series goes on we will see more challenge coming in, and by the look of it a good challenge to beerus (not to spoil).

Plus is is nice to see a bad guy turn good! for once.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:16 am

Don't be ridiculous. Let's not play the victim here, please. You don't get a warning for being critical. You get a warning for contributing absolutely nothing of value, doing so repeatedly, filled your nothingness with vulgarity, and having absolutely no sense of self or community.

If you want to be so reductionary (is that even a word...?), you can do the exact same thing with every single villain in the entire series. Everyone is just exactly the same as before, and every single plot point is exactly the same as before. Strong guy comes, Goku wins, wash/rinse/repeat. If you're not even remotely going deeper than that, you're not interested in a conversation, and we're not willing to have one with you.

You don't have to like Beerus. You don't have to like Battle of Gods. You're entitled to think whatever you want to think. If you don't have something to actually say about it, though, please find another outlet to vent your nothingless-frustrations.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:23 am

Vijay wrote: Ur fav mangaka draws a poop. Literally a poop.
You saying that reminds me that Toriyama had that poop on a stick gag in Dr slump

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:51 am

@ VegetoEx

You see. I've perfectly summed my displeasure & subsequent reasons for playin it cool.

When you come use words as "playin victim, frustations, we're not interested in having conversation with you", its clear who's frustrated to get their points across.

Forum is a place to discuss. Discussion can range frm bein a generalized opinion to hypocritical views, as long as I dont cross the border by throwing vulgar/racist remarks or flat-out abusing another user.

I know my limitations. My gripes on Beerus is purely opinion. And if you can't handle it, thats not my prob

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:54 am

I wasn't actually referring to you with that description.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:04 am

I respect the gesture of trying to experiment with a different type of villain, but in Beerus's situation it's not his status as a morally neutral adjudicator bound to the natural conventions of the universe that's the focus of his character -- more often than not it's this inane desire to be fed and waited on at the beck and call of Whis or the Saiyan trainee that is the context of whatever scene he's in. The nature of his character and status should beget a more earnest and sober interpretation yet these attributes have been treated like a loosely defined background framework instead of a point of contention past his introduction in BoG.

One question that could be brought forth which may help to add further depth to his position would be the justification and morality behind annihilating whole civilisations on a whim simply because they didn't have a perfect culinary dish for him when there are likely so many uninhabited worlds across the universe that could be easily destroyed without sacrificing innocent bystanders in the pursuit of maintaining balance between destruction and creation. The genocides he's perpetrated and the justification behind them could introduce a new dynamic by DB standards. However, it's like this dynamic goes unacknowledged and the character as a whole is treated more like a childish creature whose deluged in food and wrapped in silly putty.
Last edited by Lionel on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:39 am

Nothing is original these days. You're in denial if you think any new character in any series out there is 100% original.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:17 am

He's the only one who whether in a movie or in the series successfully defeated Goku and therefore didn't follow the Formula of the movies: "New enemy, Goku Wins, Repeat" Like VegettoEX said.
Conclusion? if it's different and new, then it's original.

He even survived a Goku God Power Up, and I am pretty sure before the spoilers for BOG came out, we we're all expecting Goku to win...again.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:50 am

Doctor. wrote:Nothing is original these days. You're in denial if you think any new character in any series out there is 100% original.
Exactly. All characters are just variations of different, older characters that have been done time and time and time again.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:45 pm

One thing I absolutely love about Beerus is that his sense of being above it all. And this is beyond how he so casually says, "Oh, I'll just destroy your world."

The way in BoG that he calls out Goku for still holding on to his pride and in RF calls Goku and Vegeta both stupid for their Saiyan traits is a breath of fresh air after so many arcs of characters not calling out Goku and gang for their dumb decisions. Yes, they're warriors and have saiyan tendencies, but a dumb decision is still a dumb decision. It's a great thing to finally have teachers that Goku doesn't surpass the same or next arc they premiere.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:47 pm

His position in the hierarchy of diety figures within the universe all on its own is fascinating. A God primarily dedicated to the destruction of the old to harken in the new. But it's really his personality in contrast with this position that makes him truly enjoyable.

His attitude toward his job ranges from mercilessly dedicated to flippantly casual, but he has a loosely defined set of rules that he abides by. This makes him feel unpredictable, but in a genuine manner that belies his nature: A man (cat) come Godhood with little challenge left, but who has not allowed his ennui and Godly nature to turn him into a seething pile of frustration and anger. While we see shades of his frustration (especially in Super) he is at most times dry, cocky, and not afraid to enjoy a party or indulge in his favorite activities with genuine enthusiasm.

However, his violent streak is inherent to his nature and his position. Eliminating whole worlds is his lot in life, so his sociopathic tendencies are completely understandable, and that allows him to be completely casual and funny in some moments, and callously selfish in others.

To make a long story short: His strength, power, and position are completely believable within the context of the universe, they're overwhelming to the point where he legitimately feels like a threat to everyone, his character is vastly different from any other in the series so far, and as others have mentioned he is a goal post of strength that remains solid and unmoving, yet is not afraid to still *be a character* and not just a concept.

I also love his actual design; the Egyptian design works incredibly well for him, his temple is stunningly beautiful, and he can look both terrifying and utterly goofy at any time.

... also Whis is awesome 10/10.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/