A statement about FnF

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nex Carnifex
Banned

A statement about FnF

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:13 pm

I'm mostly talking about the super arc and its existence as canon. I'm watching dbz with my brother for the first time and were on the Buu arc and he keeps saying "Frieza was the best villain they should just bring him back".

Well, I think bringing Frieza back is something that should have eventually happened, but they did it in the wrong way. Making Frieza the main enemy of a new arc was redundant, Frieza already had his time in the spotlight, it would have made more sense to bring him back in the middle of another arc to shake things up a bit. Maybe there's a twist where he ends up being the final boss of that arc, but making him return and going through the motions just to have him defeated and humiliated again was pointless. What people loved about Frieza was the sense of overwhelming power and impending doom he gave the Namek arc, plus his sadistic tyranny felt authentic and deep unlike it does in his rehashed revival, where he seems more like a parody of his own character. How could he create that sense of hopelessness and awe when Beerus and Whis, the enemies of the previous arc, were much stronger than him and even make him wet himself in this very arc just by watching them. Beerus and Whis aren't creating the impending doom or fear, they have no connection to the characters they're just sassy playful gods who have already become somewhat of friends with the heroes, so no one is creating a sense of dread in this arc until the very end when Goku gets shot through the chest and Frieza blows up earth. That was the one decently entertaing part because suddenly the characters actually seemed somewhat in danger, however anyone over the age of 10 knows this is dbz so no matter what happens be it the dragon balls or some other fantastical plot device something will correct any slip ups the heroes made while trying to protect the earth and their friends, so that's how we got time travel Whis.

I guess one thing they did right was have Frieza not hesitate to play dirty, but for the most part the arc was a boring rehash that just didn't work due to the circumstances in the story. Frieza comes back and gets stronger but it doesn't matter cuz Goku is also stronger and Frieza plays dirty at the last second after a generic dbz brawl and then deus ex machina saves the day before Vegeta can get his much deserved vengeance.

Done right it could have been awesome. I remember Goku telling Frieza he hopes they meet again some day when they're both stronger before Frieza tries to blast him one last time and gets kamehamehaed into dying Namek.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: A statement about FnF

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:52 pm

I agree; if you bring Freeza back as his own antagonist you're locked into casting him as villain or has-been, and 'F' does the latter without really commiting. Placing Freeza as a player in new events, meanwhile, forces him to rebuild his army and generally show the cunning (or lack therof, that's a possibility too) he's supposed to have. Heck, adding a third party to a future arc gives us a chance to channel Namek's cat and mousery again.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:48 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:I agree; if you bring Freeza back as his own antagonist you're locked into casting him as villain or has-been, and 'F' does the latter without really commiting. Placing Freeza as a player in new events, meanwhile, forces him to rebuild his army and generally show the cunning (or lack therof, that's a possibility too) he's supposed to have. Heck, adding a third party to a future arc gives us a chance to channel Namek's cat and mousery again.
Yeah it's a shame it's wasted potential for sure. I don't even have a problem with his silly gold form or the lazy explanation for his sudden power boost, the story surrounding it was just too thin and nothing more than a what if scenario that would have worked better as a secret Easter egg mission in a tenkaichi game. Seeing Frieza and Goku wailing on each other isn't that interesting if there isn't a compelling underlying narrative to reinforce the stakes of their battle and create tension, Frieza comes back, is stronger, obviously will kill everyone if he wins like last time, isn't much of a compelling or fun scenario given the fact the heroes have been in the exact same situation before so many times there's no surprises with it anymore, just an excuse to see Frieza lose again.

Would have been way more fun and interesting if he got wrapped up in new events with a third party for sure, have his battle with Goku somewhere in the middle of it while there's more drama other than freezas power boost to make things more interesting, and he could die in order to hype a new enemy. Perhaps Goku lets him live again and Vegeta gets a chance to torture him, then one of the new enemies comes and steals Vegeta's kill horrifically ending Frieza's life.
Last edited by Nex Carnifex on Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:53 pm

I made a review listing everything I didn't like about the movie. The list would be too long to include here! It's supposed to be part of a parody story so you might have trouble following it if you're not familiar with DBM.