The striking similarity between Son Goku and..... Luffy??!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tenkaichigoten

Post by tenkaichigoten » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:30 pm

4kids ruins every show they touch someway.....
Kamekameha! - Goten

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:21 am

Another interesting similarity I've noticed:

Both Goku and Luffy refer to themselves as ora. "Ora Goku!" "Ora Luffy!" (I'm Goku/Luffy)

Ora, as I understand it, is not a real Japanese word. It is an offshoot of the word "ore," and the ONLY time I've ever heard it used as "ora" until hearing Luffy say it, was with Son Goku.

Coincidence? ... I think not.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:57 am

Well, basically the usage of "Ora" in terms of regarding to one's own self is basically improper. Considering the fact that Luffy grew up around a group of pirates and had wanted to become one for so long, it's understandable that his speech would be a bit improper (similar to how Son Goku grew up alone in the wilderness after stepping on his grandfather after having transformed into a giant ape).

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:29 am

Isn't it a contraciton of "ore wa"?
Where's the beef?

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:41 pm

Luffy definitely uses ore. If he used ora that would be a little too much for me... Luffy and Gokuh never really struck me as too similar, not to the extent that I would point it out since most male protagonists in boys' cartoons fit that same pattern. I find it a little annoying that the most popular animes of today are very heavily DB influenced and most american fans still fail to acknowlege it. Naruto really pushes it in terms of similarities which I find irksome and yet most fans will put it on a pedestal and show total disdain for DB. Logic? Sorry, slightly off topic...
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

unstable_person99
Beyond Newbie

Post by unstable_person99 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:22 pm

Mr. Announcer wrote:Luffy definitely uses ore. If he used ora that would be a little too much for me... Luffy and Gokuh never really struck me as too similar, not to the extent that I would point it out since most male protagonists in boys' cartoons fit that same pattern. I find it a little annoying that the most popular animes of today are very heavily DB influenced and most american fans still fail to acknowlege it. Naruto really pushes it in terms of similarities which I find irksome and yet most fans will put it on a pedestal and show total disdain for DB. Logic? Sorry, slightly off topic...
I hate it when people do that too. I mean, why the hell can't they notice these things? Plus, they have no right to put us down for what we enjoy. :evil:
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/f169/unstable_person99/Avatars/?sc=1&multi=13&addtype=local&media=image&test=test]Avatars[/url]

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:57 pm

Personally, I hate it when people see an shonen anime and claim it to be Dragon Ball Z of this generation. Bleach is the most targeted in such claims. :\ I understand some manga artists are inspired by Dragon Ball, but that really doesn't mean they're one in the same.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:28 am

Mr. Announcer wrote:Luffy definitely uses ore. If he used ora that would be a little too much for me... Luffy and Gokuh never really struck me as too similar, not to the extent that I would point it out since most male protagonists in boys' cartoons fit that same pattern. I find it a little annoying that the most popular animes of today are very heavily DB influenced and most american fans still fail to acknowlege it. Naruto really pushes it in terms of similarities which I find irksome and yet most fans will put it on a pedestal and show total disdain for DB. Logic? Sorry, slightly off topic...

Despite the similarities I just couldn't get interested in Naruto. Maybe its just that I can't find any one character I like enough to keep watching or what.

One Piece however I'm intregued by. I wish some other dubbing company had gotten it though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:31 am

:evil: I don't hate people, but these kinds of people come very close. "Naruto is so much better than DBZ!"

:roll: For the love of Kami, look at Naruto and DBZ. There are so many similarities it isn't even funny, people. But yet...we still have too many uneducated idiots among us...

It's like I've said to my friends: Naruto is Dragon Ball with Ninjas.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:40 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote: It's like I've said to my friends: Naruto is DragonBall Z with Ninjas.
:D , or if were talking about it from a manga perspective, "Naruto is late Dragon Ball with Ninjas.

Also, I liked Desire's perspective on this. One Piece being similar to Dragon Ball & Naruto being similar to DragonBall Z.

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:57 am

Getting back on topic. I find Goku much cooler. Luffy doesn't have the charm to capture me like Goku does. He will always be my #1 hero.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:14 am

Vhanos wrote:Getting back on topic. I find Goku much cooler. Luffy doesn't have the charm to capture me like Goku does. He will always be my #1 hero.
:P Now I disagree...I think tht Luffy and Goku are both that awesome, fun-loving, laughing death in the face kind of hero that a good Shonen anime needs.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:00 pm

Mr. Announcer wrote:I find it a little annoying that the most popular animes of today are very heavily DB influenced and most american fans still fail to acknowlege it. Naruto really pushes it in terms of similarities which I find irksome and yet most fans will put it on a pedestal and show total disdain for DB. Logic? Sorry, slightly off topic...
unstable_person99 wrote:I hate it when people do that too. I mean, why the hell can't they notice these things? Plus, they have no right to put us down for what we enjoy. :evil:
Chaos Saiyajin wrote:It's like I've said to my friends: Naruto is DragonBall Z with Ninjas.
Sebastian (SB) wrote::D , or if were talking about it from a manga perspective, "Naruto is late Dragon Ball with Ninjas.
I know what you mean. I once went to a forum and made a few comments about how I felt Naruto was a bit to much like DBZ and was pratically flamed for doing so. Granted at the time I hadn't read very far (it was about a year to 18 months ago and I follow the Viz translation), but at this moment in time I still feel Naruto has to much in common, and even go so far as to say I don't rate it as highly (among other things) because of it.
Also, I liked Desire's perspective on this. One Piece being similar to Dragon Ball & Naruto being similar to DragonBall Z.
I agree with that comment. Yes, One Piece does have some simularities with DB. In my eyes Luffy is simular to Goku, Zoro is simular to Piccolo, Nami is simular to both Bulma (brains) and ChiChi (able to fight; able to control the other characters), Ussop is simular to Kururuin, Sanji is simular to Roshi and maybe Yamcha or Vegeta. However all these characters have their own unique qualities that make them different.
Vhanos wrote:Getting back on topic. I find Goku much cooler. Luffy doesn't have the charm to capture me like Goku does. He will always be my #1 hero.
In my opinion it's the complete polar opposite. Luffy has such a wonderful charm and character that I can't help but like him. On the other hand I've lost some of my interest in Goku, partily because I feel he stole the Buu saga from Gohan, but that's for another thread. Additionally I don't think Goku has quite the hero material Luffy does. Luffy's dedication towards his friends or "nakama" as some fans prefer to use makes him better IMO. For example in the Davy Back Fight, Luffy would rather die then let Foxy take his crew (in a Davy Back Fight, one pirate crew can take members from another if they win a match. There's normally three in one contest). Goku's dedication to being stronger just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:22 pm

I just go with Gokuh because he feels like so much more of a tangible character. We've gotten inside his head and somehow he just seems more like a human being. With Luffy, no matter how long the series went on, I couldn't help but feel sort of detached from him and that maybe that he wasn't as flexible a character as Gokuh (not literally of course, Luffy is FAR more flexible in that respect.) It could be totally the opposite for some people, but I just feel I can relate more to Gokuh.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Mon May 01, 2006 6:54 am

Caracal wrote:In my opinion it's the complete polar opposite. Luffy has such a wonderful charm and character that I can't help but like him. On the other hand I've lost some of my interest in Goku, partily because I feel he stole the Buu saga from Gohan, but that's for another thread. Additionally I don't think Goku has quite the hero material Luffy does. Luffy's dedication towards his friends or "nakama" as some fans prefer to use makes him better IMO. For example in the Davy Back Fight, Luffy would rather die then let Foxy take his crew (in a Davy Back Fight, one pirate crew can take members from another if they win a match. There's normally three in one contest). Goku's dedication to being stronger just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

I don't know what needs to be hero material or should be to qualify for a good one. Being dedicated to being stronger (not just strength but in other things too) is something that anyone should try to take upon themselves and have a competitive spirit with to take on anything that is a good challenge. Goku is almost a one of a kind character and thats what I find makes him better. He is more memorable and a character not easy to forget. He may not seem that didicated to his friends. But he isn't a cliched character. He may seem like he doesn't show his feelings straight up but Goku does however show when he is confident in others and thats one thing I like about him. He isn't mushy. I'm glad he became the hero again in the Buu saga. Because what has made him the character he was he got it back from Gohan and I only thought it was right to be so.

Luffy is a good one but he doesn't do it for me. Boy with a rubber body, no thanks. Before Luffy it's enough for me that Goku was already there. On a flip-side, the creator of One Piece being inspired by Toriyama's character is cool. Plus the voice actress for Luffy in Japanese being Krillin as well is nice too.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon May 01, 2006 12:03 pm

Luffy's shows more of a carefree spirit than Son Goku, I mean, atleast he shows through most of the series. Son Goku's carefree spirit just kinda doesn't come through later on in Dragon Ball, especially when Raditz shows up, but then comes back days before The Cell Games. It's really weird though since we don't see much of Son Goku through later on in the series, so when he does there's very little we get to see of his character development. In the end, I find it hard to compare these two characters. They're just heroes in their own way & great characters in their own respect.

Son Goku just comes in mind since he was the first one.