Where does each dub rank on your favorite anime dubs list??

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ree
Regular

Where does each dub rank on your favorite anime dubs list??

Post by Ree » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:57 pm

For those who watch other anime where do the dubs rank for you? maybe your favorite falls just short of another anime you love for example. maybe your least favorite is only #10 due to not watching much anime.

i would love to hear your thoughts!
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Where does each dub rank on your favorite anime dubs lis

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Sorry, but this question is extremely vague.

Are you asking where each Dragon Ball dub ranks when compared to other Dragon Ball dubs, or on dubs of all animes, period? Is it only limited to English dubs or are all languages available for choosing? Do Abridged Series and other Fan Dubs count?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:46 pm

It would probably just be easier to grade them, then namedrop a bunch of shows.

Dragon Ball - C
Dragon Ball Z - D-
Dragon Ball GT - C-
Dragon Ball Kai - A-

They float around there, so... The series proper really doesn't rank at all. Kai suffers from Z holdovers, in both terminology and dubious casting.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:07 pm

its counting all animes
you can include fan/abridged series and other languages if you would like although i wouldnt.
you dont need to list every show you watch, you can just list shows it ties with and rank number, like for example:

Funimation Kai - Funimation One Piece - 10th
Harmony Gold - Gurren - 13th
Last edited by Ree on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:08 pm

I think the field is way too big for that kind of thing.

There are thousands of anime out there, in various genres and target audiences. Let's assume that most of them have been dubbed in french, considering the popularity of anime in france...

Basically, such a list is impractical at best.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:18 pm

I never knew about the kind of craze anime has in France. Always thought only UK & US to be wildly popular due to their (a) superior access with sites as ANN, Crunchyroll (b) globally recognized talent/dubbing studios as Funi, Ocean etc (c) major anime conventions are held in UK & US, at least based from my understanding

With all these, it comes as a suprise if one says anime is popular in any country except those 2

On topic, I'd say English dubs for Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood & a handful of unconventional, non-streotypical shows are overall A+

Then we have Naruto, Bleach, OP, DBZ with an average score of B-

Though gotta say Kai is as close as A+

The less said about Big Green, Speedy Dub the better :P

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:25 pm

HG Dub: Not good, but not awful neither. Grade: C
1995 Dub: Been ages since I seen this dub. So I need to rewatch it.
1996-1998 DBZ Dub: Not very good, but I do like the voice cast for it. Could have been great, but fell short. Grade: C-
1999-2003 DBZ Dub: Has it's moments, but it's still bad. Grade: D
2003-2005 GT Dub: The dub itself is pretty bad and watching the dub makes GT feel even worst. Grade:D-
2005 Ultimate Uncut Dub: Barely improvement over what we got from 1996-2003. Grade:D+
Kai Dub: The dub of DBZ we have been waiting for. I still not a fan of #18's new voice and I still like the Ocean voice cast over Funimation's voice cast. Grade:B-
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:53 am

The 90s Saban dub of the first two seasons and Tree of Might is easily my favorite anime dub ever. Yes it's butchered, but the music, voices and general awesomeness of the early DBZ era stuff makes it really enjoyable to me.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:02 am

Funi's DB dub. HUGE improvement from their Z dub, unfortunately some of Z's stink carried over. C+
Ocean's Z dub. Good voices but that's it, to much censorship and inaccuracies. D+
Funi's original Z dub. This speaks for itself. D-
Funi's GT dub. Pretty good, however the music and just some odd choices still prevents it from being great. C
Funi's Z redub. Little improvement besides a couple voices. D+
Kai. Really good, however like og db it keeps that Z stench, however the positives are to great. B+
EDIT: Okay Ree now I understand on what you meant and Pokémon's dub for Kanto and Orange Islands are my 2 favorites and everything else is below that.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:38 am

Dragon Ball FUNi Dub

HUGE improvement over the Z Dub but still takes a lot of liberties with the dialogue and the voice acting is still sometimes questionable. At least there it seems like they tried their best to be faithful to the source material.

C

Ocean Z Dub

Good voice acting but too much unnecessary censorship with oversimplified and often blatantly inaccurate dialogue that speaks down to the audience.

D

Original Z FUNi Dub

Has it's moments and gets better as it goes but it hasn't aged well at all. Amateurish voice acting, loose translation, and an inferior replacement score that never shuts the hell up.

D-

GT FUNi Dub

About on par with Dragon Ball FUNi Dub but the replacement score is pure shit.

C-

Remastered Z FUNi Dub

Refined voice acting and uncut but that's pretty much as far as improvements go.

D+

Z Kai FUNi Dub

Finally a respectable dub for the Dragon Ball anime series... though not without it's flaws like some liberties are still taken with the dialogue and the replacement voices are a mixed bag (Bulma and Freeza's new voices are the only ones I like).

B+
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Dragon Ball (FUNi) - C+
Dragon Ball Z (FUNi/1999-2003) - D
Dragon Ball Z (FUNi/Orange Brick) - C-
Dragon Ball Z (Ocean) - D-
Dragon Ball GT (FUNi) - C+
Dragon Ball Kai (FUNi) - A-

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Vijay wrote:globally recognized talent/dubbing studios as Funi, Ocean etc
I don't think you know what "globally recognized" means.

Also, all the English Dragonall dubs are laughably terrible and I can't really recall having seen anything worse, so "extreme bottom" I guess.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:07 pm

Dragon Ball: C+ Much better than the Z dub, but oddly more censored. I guess the sex jokes were too much for even the uncut editions. And some of the name changes (Hero instead of Shen) are just confusing.

Dragon Ball Z (Ocean): D Waaay too much censorship and bad dialogue. The voice actors were good, but a bad dub is a bad dub.

Dragon Ball Z (Funi): D+ The only reason this gets a higher grade than the Ocean cast is because, well, less censorship. It's pretty bad in all other categories.

Dragon Ball GT: C The actors improved, but it suffers the same things the other dubs suffer from.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: B+ Too many holdovers from the old Z dub. That's the only thing holding it back from an A.

Battle of Gods/Resurrection F: A- Again, the holdovers exist, but they have improved even more as actors and I feel they are in their prime right now.

Dragon Ball Super prediction: A- Can't beat those holdovers, but the acting and accuracy should remain the same as the movies.

(Note: This does not include soundtracks (Kikuchi, Faulconer, Tokunaga, Menza) because you can always switch between tracks.)
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:06 pm

I can honestly say that, while I haven't seen much of the Canadian dubs, it's just not the same comparing apples & oranges in terms of story-telling.

I can think the cutoff point for me would be the think.

On top of that, the casting was not a reflection of the Japanese version (& rarely is so, even for FUNi's mainstream stuff),

Frankly, even if Barry Watson, etc., weren't in charge of direction of both the Ocean Group & the in-house dub, there are still many problems with the funding of the dub.

With Saban's involvement, we had a trade-off of sorts - get good VO actors (best of Canada), but arrange them very differently than the Japanese, butcher the script, & murder the music entirely.

Like the HG dub, it's just different. The acting (for the OG Ocean dub) may have been Japanese-comparable, but it certainly wasn't a proper conversion of the story into English.

However, when they lost funding & went to part-time, amateur, & non-actors in Texas, recorded on terrible equipment, & STILL had the problems of the Ocean Group dub's production...

If, in comparison to other children's reversionings at the time, the Ocean Group dub were a B+, Saban Digimon an A-, & Cardcaptors a C+...I would probably give the Texas version a low D.

The 2005 re-dub (from the Ultimate Uncut, & Orange brick sets) is a little better due to slightly better script, half-decent acting & budget, & most importantly, the usage of ProTools, I would say the same for their DB & GT dubs, ranging from mid-60's to early-70's.

I am not quite sure how the Westwood & Blue Water dubs of DB material sound, so I can't judge them, but I do hear that they weren't well-funded.

The Kai dubs are significantly better off for slightly better casting (with unfortunate hold-overs from the previous style), vastly restrained "localization" (though, again, hold-overs), & also moderately improved acting. 7.8

The movie dubs are a low B for Japanese-accurate castings, with Douglas as Yamadera's Beerus, & Todd Haberkorn for Jaco, though IMO Whis is too deep, as Morita-san is a low tenor, & SInclair is a baritone.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:25 pm

You give Digimon an A?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:02 pm

^why not? i didnt see much of it but i think its pretty good though some jokes are hit or miss
id probably give it a B or B-
for reference i watched clips of Fusion, season 1, season 2.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:18 pm

I admit I don't know anything about Digimon, but my old roommates would watch the dub of it, and every time they did, it was so bad, so annoying, so grating to listen to that I wanted to punch a puppy in the mouth.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:21 pm

I mean, as much as I love Tamers, the Digimon dubs have been kinda......eccentric. And this is coming from someone who hasn't seen the original.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:15 am

The acting in the dubs for Digimon Tamers and Digimon Frontier is incredibly solid. It almost makes up for the fact every other aspect is trash. I couldn't in good conscience give them anything higher than Cs for the productions as a whole, but the performances are certainly B-level. The less said about anything dubbed Digimon that is not those two series, the better. Digimon Savers, line for line, is pretty accurate, but the performances couldn't be duller.

Uhm, Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball's English localization has a knowledgeable, talented guy championing the things that make it great in Chris Sabat; Digimon has absolutely nothing even close to that. There's at least some modicum of a reason for people to be excited about a potential FUNi dub of Super; I couldn't care less if and when Saban decides to decimate Digimon Adventure tri.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:25 am

Obviously comparing the Dragon Ball dubs to every English anime dub I've ever seen would be a ludicrous task, but here's a selection of notable dubs and how I'd rank them. My list takes many different factors into consideration, such as acting quality, authenticity, censorship issues, and mainly just my personal preferences!

Unfortunately, I'm not intimately familiar with many Viz shows, so this list leans heavily on Funimation's work. I've roughly separated the shows into different tiers to provide more context on greatly some outrank others.

Cowboy Bebop - Bandai Entertainment
Baccano! - Funimation

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Funimation
One Piece - Funimation
Dragon Ball Kai - Funimation

Yu Yu Hakusho - Funimation
Dragon Ball - Funimation
Hunter x Hunter (90s version) - Viz

Pokemon - 4Kids
Dragon Ball Z - Funimation
Digimon - Saban
Dragon Ball Z - Ocean & Funimation

Cardcaptor Sakura - Nelvana

The top of my list includes many predictable heavyweights. One Piece edges out Kai simply because the latter is still held down slightly by past localization baggage. These include problematic names like King Kai.

As much as I love the Yu Yu Hakusho dub, I can't bring myself to rank it higher. It still displays a number of DBZ-era Funimation trademarks, including punched-up dialogue and actors who are still a little shaky with their performances. It and the Dragon Ball dub do, however, represent Funimation moving in the right direction.

Further down, we start moving into questionable territory. Pokemon had a few decent performances under 4Kids, but the dub was still problematic in terms of censorship and music revisions - hallmarks of early Dragon Ball dubbing. But at least Pokemon kept some of the Japanese music, and that's at least somewhat more bearable than none of it being kept at all.

For Dragon Ball Z, I consider the Ocean voice acting superior to the early work of the Funimation in-house team, but without a uncut release I can't rank it higher. Digimon fits somewhere in between them. Its casting is decent and it wasn't censored too egregiously, but the wall-to-wall joke script can get pretty obnoxious.

The Nelvana Cardcaptors dub of Cardcaptor Sakura is offensively terrible. It goes beyond bad voice acting and heavy-handed localization. It was chopped up to be
practically unreasonable.*

* For some reason this link refuses to hyperlink properly when using the url tags: https://actar.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/ ... or-sakura/
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.