A couple of rare commercials

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

A couple of rare commercials

Post by DB1984 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:25 pm

The first one would be great for the "My Dragon Box Isn’t Perfect?!" feature, even though they not necessarily should have been included. It's the Sponsor cards for Dragon Ball GT, with audio. This is from Episode #27.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agNj7-AgFJQ

The commercial for the Toei Summer Manga Film Festival, which took place on July 15, 1989, and the first DBZ film, more commonly known as Return My Gohan!!, was featured. Masako Nozawa narrates part of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcwLj1Nm88

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: A couple of rare commercials

Post by successoroffate » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:38 pm

Thank you for the GT one! Very nostalgic. Seeing those commercials and the sponsors they had during GT's timeslot makes me think that they were actually "All In" with GT. I mean Kellogs and McDonalds, I would have never expected those to sponsor GT, even though as we know, DB was apparently aimed at kids in Japan.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:57 pm

Neat! It's always interesting to see the show as it originally aired, and by that, I mean which commercials aired during the original airing. Like Successoroffate said, I wasn't expecting some of those companies to be the sponsor for GT.

The one for the first DBZ film was interesting as well.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:01 pm

What was that GT ad outside of the school advertising? Pencils?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:48 pm

See, this is why I've never gotten rid of my fansubs. One of the things I loved about them the most was seeing the Japanese commercials!

I have to ask, though. Why is there a "Men's" Pocky? I mean, just... why? What's the difference? Why is it necessary?
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:See, this is why I've never gotten rid of my fansubs. One of the things I loved about them the most was seeing the Japanese commercials!

I have to ask, though. Why is there a "Men's" Pocky? I mean, just... why? What's the difference? Why is it necessary?
Because this made me curious; googling gave me results about chocolate (and candy in general) being stereotyped as feminine in Japan, so they have to slap a "this chocolate is manly" advertising on it. Cultural it seems.

Men's Pocky is just dark chocolate pocky. Nothing nutritional related for men in there. (Unlike the nutrient snack bars I've seen that are made specifically for women.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:36 pm

The thing that boggles my mind the most is.....How is this footage so well preserved!?
Last edited by Bansho64 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:15 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:What was that GT ad outside of the school advertising? Pencils?
Showa Note stationary. Consists of a pencil case, writing pencils, electric pencil sharpener, color pencils and a hand-operated pencil sharpener.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:49 am

Being upset over natural exclusion of commercials from the Dragon Boxes is a bit too much in my book.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:42 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:Being upset over natural exclusion of commercials from the Dragon Boxes is a bit too much in my book.
Except there ARE plenty of commercials in the Dragon Box sets, and I wouldn't say anyone's particularly "upset" over it, but rather, "Oh man wouldn't it be cool if we got ALL the commercials?!?"
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:05 am

Exclusion of commercials is the least of the problems with the Dragon Box.

Really, the biggest problems are stuff like the Previews being placed incorrectly (after the end credits, instead of before), some of the special Previews being missing, and badly synced audio.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:34 am

DB1984 wrote:Exclusion of commercials is the least of the problems with the Dragon Box.

Really, the biggest problems are stuff like the Previews being placed incorrectly (after the end credits, instead of before), some of the special Previews being missing, and badly synced audio.
Yeah, that i understand.
Upset is not the right word, i guess.

Haji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: Preferably somewhere in Kansai,Chuubu or Kanto. Someday!

Post by Haji » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:36 am

I want some curry now.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:02 pm

The Kellogg's commercial had better animation and choreography than Dragonball Super
El Conejo Malo

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:54 pm

That's it! KELLOGS MUST ANIMATE SUPER LOL!

I love the insanely cute eyecatcher GT has! Poor Dinosaur.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:58 am

Bardo117 wrote:The Kellogg's commercial had better animation and choreography than Dragonball Super
No, it had not.