Anyone consider or want GT as canon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Iberian_Saiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Anyone consider or want GT as canon?

Post by Iberian_Saiyan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Iberian_Saiyan wrote:The GT Singles used Dragon Box GT as its source and they kept it all, even the NEPs.
FUNimation's single discs? That's impossible considering FUNimation began releasing the series in 2003 and the GT Dragon Box didn't come out until 2005. In fact, FUNimation had released the entirety of the series (including back around to "The Lost Episodes") by the time the Dragon Box came out.

It's just that GT was a more-recent series and FUNimation were given better materials to work with.
Huh, but everything is in Japanese and contains the Next Episode Previews as well as clean OP/ED on some DVDs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:24 pm

Iberian_Saiyan wrote:Huh, but everything is in Japanese and contains the Next Episode Previews as well as clean OP/ED on some DVDs.
Yes. Again:
VegettoEX wrote:It's just that GT was a more-recent series and FUNimation were given better materials to work with.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:41 pm

I consider DB XenoVerse canon to the anime, so GT takes place in a different timeline than the main one where DB/Z/Super take place that was created by Future Trunks' time travels, the original 17 movies take place in different dimensions, and the video-game what-ifs & retellings take place in temporary timelines created thanks to the mess Mira, Towa, and Demigra made.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:32 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I consider DB XenoVerse canon to the anime, so GT takes place in a different timeline than the main one where DB/Z/Super take place that was created by Future Trunks' time travels, the original 17 movies take place in different dimensions, and the video-game what-ifs & retellings take place in temporary timelines created thanks to the mess Mira, Towa, and Demigra made.

That's a nice thought, but what makes you consider xenoverse canon? Did the anime writers work on it? I know people think Toriyama made xenoverse with Bandai but that not true. I can see it fitting in with any series in a strange way though. Just curious.

So I was right, they are different. Okay. I thought I was mislead for a second.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:33 pm

GT is canon. Is it in the same continuity as Super? Probably not. But by all means it is an officially recognized product of the series. It was also not a spinoff or parody series or anything of that sort. It literally continued the syndication of the Dragonball TV series. There wasn't a year long break of TOEI being confused at what to do after the manga's release or a sudden urge to make Dragonball fanfiction. Dragonball GT is an officially licensed and created anime series just as much as the original Dragonball and Dragonball Z anime are. The people that created GT are the same people that created all other anime brands of the Dragonball series, including the current series Dragonball Super.

None of this has ever been stated by anyone involved with the series, but the base terminolgy for "canon" means "a body of officially recognized work." Dragonball GT fits this bill as far as I'm concerned, as everyone involved with the Dragonball franchise promotes Dragonball GT as an officially recognized work.

This isn't a situation where there's like a different production company that used to have the rights to the series making their own version of the anime. Dragonball is by all means largely a product of TOEI and various other production companies. Toriyama is the father of the series but he isn't the sole creator nor does he own all the rights to the series.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:GT is canon. Is it in the same continuity as Super? Probably not. But by all means it is an officially recognized product of the series.

That is not what people mean though. I am fairly sure almost everyone knows it is official recognized.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:The people that created GT are the same people that created all other anime brands of the Dragonball series, including the current series Dragonball Super.
Not to be too pedantic, but when you look at the specific credits in each opening animation, this isn't true. Probably the most notable difference being that GT lacked previous series director Daisuke Nishio(admittedly he left after Z 199) and head writer Takao Koyama(is this good or bad in retrospect?).

But yeah, the producers are pretty much the same, so, uh, they picked and hired everybody for their jobs.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:11 pm

B wrote:
Luke Groundwalker wrote:The people that created GT are the same people that created all other anime brands of the Dragonball series, including the current series Dragonball Super.
Not to be too pedantic, but when you look at the specific credits in each opening animation, this isn't true. Probably the most notable difference being that GT lacked previous series director Daisuke Nishio(admittedly he left after Z 199) and head writer Takao Koyama(is this good or bad in retrospect?).

But yeah, the producers are pretty much the same, so, uh, they picked and hired everybody for their jobs.
How can Koyama-san be the head writer when most of GT was writen my Aya Matsui?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:42 pm

I guess I used too many parentheses; I said Koyama didn't work on GT. For better or worse, he was there from the beginning, starting with episode 5 of the first series, and penned all 13 original Z films. So in that sense, GT was missing a major player in the anime's production.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:05 pm

Oh, yes. My bad.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:11 pm

I'm kinda glad Koyama didn't work on GT or else ee might've gotten another Broli comeback :lol:

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:29 pm

Luke Groundwalker wrote:GT is canon. Is it in the same continuity as Super? Probably not. But by all means it is an officially recognized product of the series. It was also not a spinoff or parody series or anything of that sort.
"Official Product" and "Canon" don't mean the same thing. Of course, "Canon" as it relates to Dragonball doesn't mean anything in the first place. "Canon" was originally used by the Catholic Church to establish which texts were inspired by the Holy Spirit and which were not. Something you kind of had to know. But what even is the point of selecting parts of a comic book/cartoon and calling them "canon"? As much a I dislike GT, no one is literally going to Hell for supporting it.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:35 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: Just ignore him. Trust me. Unless you like humiliating people. I'm a bit ashamed of taking advantage of the kid. ;/
Dude, you are 22 and I'm 20.
soppa saia people wrote: Same, Kuririn fan besides your first two posts I don't see why you keep posting in this thread, we get it you don't like GT.
Because he said that I'm a troll because i dont like GT.
B wrote: Not to be too pedantic, but when you look at the specific credits in each opening animation, this isn't true. Probably the most notable difference being that GT lacked previous series director Daisuke Nishio(admittedly he left after Z 199) and head writer Takao Koyama(is this good or bad in retrospect?).
GT also lacked Kikuchi.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:16 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
soppa saia people wrote: Same, Kuririn fan besides your first two posts I don't see why you keep posting in this thread, we get it you don't like GT.
Because he said that I'm a troll because i dont like GT.
B wrote: Not to be too pedantic, but when you look at the specific credits in each opening animation, this isn't true. Probably the most notable difference being that GT lacked previous series director Daisuke Nishio(admittedly he left after Z 199) and head writer Takao Koyama(is this good or bad in retrospect?).
GT also lacked Kikuchi.
Ah, I see your point, but I probably would've ignored him.
Also GT's score is better then Kikuchi scores and think most of us can agree on that. :|
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:21 am

Sorry soppa saiya people but I gotta disagree with you there.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:19 am

I like GT, and I'd be fine with it being another alternate timeline or something, but it doesn't fit up with Super or Z that well.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:20 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:That's a nice thought, but what makes you consider xenoverse canon?
Just because. It's not like the anime is written by one person after all.
I know people think Toriyama made xenoverse with Bandai but that not true.
Yep, it was confirmed that not only Toriyama didn't write the story, but when he was asked to supervise the story he gave them freedom to do whatever they wanted.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:53 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:That's a nice thought, but what makes you consider xenoverse canon?
Just because. It's not like the anime is written by one person after all.
I know people think Toriyama made xenoverse with Bandai but that not true.
Yep, it was confirmed that not only Toriyama didn't write the story, but when he was asked to supervise the story he gave them freedom to do whatever they wanted.

I see. In my head canon the games are separate from the animes and the manga. Still fun though. Hopping we get some game announcement soon, I'm starting to think we won't get a new game this year.....

Silver Sinspawn wrote:I like GT, and I'd be fine with it being another alternate timeline or something, but it doesn't fit up with Super or Z that well.
It fits with Z just as well as Z fits with ball. It's literally a continuation to Z by the SAME EXACT PEOPLE who made Z! it's the same company and everything.
B wrote:

B wrote:

It's still the same company. it doesn't matter if a few people who worked on Z didn't work on GT, they could have done good things with it, however I don't think the people who worked on ball were the exact people who worked on Z person for person, but it's the same company and basically it's the same exact people when you get down to it and don't argue over semantics. Each saga I nZ didn't have the same exact people working on it, but it was still all in continuity with the rest. It's a sequal to a show made by the show's same people, that logically makes it canon. However canon to the manga? No. Canon to Super? Only time will tell what Toei is thinking right now. For all we know they're planning on ending it with a bridge to the two series. They may explain what happens to god form, or they won't because...well it's Toei...they don't seam to care about plot holes when it comes to super.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:01 am

Bansho64 wrote:Sorry soppa saiya people but I gotta disagree with you there.
Yeah, Kikuchi is just unbeatable.
And soppa saiya people, you're cool, but how can you say "most of us can agree on that", when it's the total opposite?

GTX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GTX » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:01 pm

GT is canon and has no plot hole so there is nothing to discuss though and about power level, GT had stated that super baby vegeta 2 is the strongest ki goku/ he has ever felt so it is stating that he is goku's latest strongest enemy and stronger than any transformation that he has done before, even freeza can feel or measure his own ki eventhough he was stated before that he cannot measure/ feel opponent ki. In GT a lot of people show their skill measuring power level and ki those are son goku and old kaioshin
The question has been asked by you 10000000000 times and we have become very efficient.
I don't care about non canon stuffs like game, guide book, movie, etc
Spare the trouble because GT is CANON
Be quick and be done with it
inactive :P