Anyone consider or want GT as canon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Anyone consider or want GT as canon?

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:06 am

Haven't made a post in a while, I'm curious if people on here would want GT to be canonized or consider it canon.

TO me I use the definition of canon, which is part of the maker's/ owner's continuity. So to me there can't really be 1 canon, there can be one main canon sure, but to me it's the anime, I think of the manga as the original canon, but I grew up with dragonball on toonami. For me GT is and always will be canon, and when I watch super it's a separate timeline/canon.

They never have, or possibly ever will say what's canon so it's up to us to talk about it (talk...not fight....)

So does anyone feel "I need Toei/Toriyama to say GT is canon to super for it to be canon" or just want it? Anyone consider it canon already besides me? I've seen people say it's canon and super isn't, or that they both are, but mainly it's comments GT isn't canon on GT videos by the trolls who go to videos of GT just to bash it. Please no GT bashing here, just a honest answer. People can like a part of dragonball you don't ya know.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Anyone consider or want GT as canon?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:16 am

I have a feeling that this thread won't turn out very well. For me no since the series has move on from GT. We have been in the pre-10 year gap since 2008 and we are likely going to stay in that era for a long time. GT has ended nearly 19 years ago and the series has not been relevant since 1997 expect for in video games like Heroes. Since there is no canon, I can view both GT and Super as not canon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:33 am

No, i don't consider it and don't want it as canon. It's garbage and i think majority of fans share the non canon opinion.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:38 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:No, i don't consider it and don't want it as canon. It's garbage and i think majority of fans share the non canon opinion.
I'll repeat, no GT bashing please. You know GT fans will come here and get offended. Please don't be devil's advocate. This might be hypocritical of me since I've bashed super a bit in front of fans, but it wasn't of hate but of criticism since I like super. Anyways please keep those comments out of here. Thank you.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I have a feeling that this thread won't turn out very well. For me no since the series has move on from GT. We have been in the pre-10 year gap since 2008 and we are likely going to stay in that era for a long time. GT has ended nearly 19 years ago and the series has not been relevant since 1997 expect for in video games like Heroes. Since there is no canon, I can view both GT and Super as not canon.
There's no officially labeled canon, but since canon is the continuity, aren't they BOTH canon...just not to each other....or maybe they will make them canon to each other. IDK.

I want super to be a separate timeline that goes past Z, if it doesn't go past Uub...then make GT canon to Super.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:45 am

GT and Super have huge power gabs from each other. Goku's fight with Beerus puts both of them above anyone in GT. I personally think Beerus could easily beat anyone in GT since him and Goku created major shockwaves that threaten to wipe out the Universe while Super Yi Xing Long's strongest attack was mainly a Earth threat (His blast was powerful would have wipe out the Earth going how big the blast size it was outside the Earth when SSj4 Gogeta kicked it).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:53 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:GT and Super have huge power gabs from each other. Goku's fight with Beerus puts both of them above anyone in GT. I personally think Beerus could easily beat anyone in GT since him and Goku created major shockwaves that threaten to wipe out the Universe while Super Yi Xing Long's strongest attack was mainly a Earth threat (His blast was powerful would have wipe out the Earth going how big the blast size it was outside the Earth when SSj4 Gogeta kicked it).

GT charatcers are actually stronger, angry tired wekaneed vegeta=9.5% the power of beerus.

base gt kid goku>>>>>5,000 beerus.

Super has better feats, but feats mean nothing in dragonball, remember king piccolo? He destroyed a city and was considered a huge threat.....this is YEARS after roshi destroyed the moon so...yeah......if anything destroying the universe almost shows a lack of control, not so much. Cell could do that easily, and also that's a real nerf on omega....he did a ultimate move not because he needed it for earth, his own aura ALONE almost destroyed the entire universe! (which is better then 2 people doing it over several attacks)

omega did his best move because it was meant to be to much for gogeta. you can't use things like "oh well goku struggled to lift a building until he wwent ssj4....he's weak"... because then cell games goku<Naruto because he struggled with elephants and almost broke his hands.

how about Goku losing to a common ray gun? That makes him below a clone trooper in star wars who's armor can at least survive that....
piccolo loses to chop sticks which would break on me so regular human>>>>>>>piccolo in the BOG movie.

you can't use destructive feats in dragonball, it's to inconsistent.

GT>super powers.

Nothing can stop GT from being canon, it's totally possible. It ma y never happen ,but it's not some impossible thing. Anything is possible in fiction, they even had goku lose to a frieza solder.....plot hole much? If they can do that, they can make GT fit in with something that happens pre end of Z.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:04 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:they even had goku lose to a frieza solder.....plot hole much?
"A thing I don't like" does not make it a "plot hole".

The rights holders are the opposite of being concerned with establishing a canon for the series. They cannot possibly be any less interested in doing so. It is in their 100% best interest to not do so.

It can be a fun conversation, but it's a fruitless one and increasingly pointless one. What few statements there are about continuity (and let's be honest: we can count them on one hand) make little sense in the context of the franchise one, two, five years after they're made to the point that it makes no sense at all to even ATTEMPT to use them to prop up an argument.

Every time I read a conversation like this - specifically about GT - it comes across as, "I like this series, but I'm embarrassed about it, so please validate my enjoyment of this series, because I'm incapable of independent thought."

Who cares? Like what you like. You don't need someone else's approval to like what you like. Something being (nor being being) classified as canonical shouldn't flip a switch in your brain about whether you like it or not.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:24 am

VegettoEX wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:they even had goku lose to a frieza solder.....plot hole much?
"A thing I don't like" does not make it a "plot hole".

The rights holders are the opposite of being concerned with establishing a canon for the series. They cannot possibly be any less interested in doing so. It is in their 100% best interest to not do so.

It can be a fun conversation, but it's a fruitless one and increasingly pointless one. What few statements there are about continuity (and let's be honest: we can count them on one hand) make little sense in the context of the franchise one, two, five years after they're made to the point that it makes no sense at all to even ATTEMPT to use them to prop up an argument.

Every time I read a conversation like this - specifically about GT - it comes across as, "I like this series, but I'm embarrassed about it, so please validate my enjoyment of this series, because I'm incapable of independent thought."

Who cares? Like what you like. You don't need someone else's approval to like what you like. Something being (nor being being) classified as canonical shouldn't flip a switch in your brain about whether you like it or not.

I'm not asking for validation for GT, it needs none. It's my third favorite show of all time! You really read things with a negative spin a lot man. I agree with the mentality you don't need others approval but I'm not asking for it, I'm looking for like minded people. And yeah it's fruitless, but so is talking about ANYTHING dragonball related, serves no purpous but to have something to talk about. Ya know? Isn't that the point of the forums?

I'm not even debating if it's canon, I'm asking what other people think. I'm curious who else here shares the same mindset.

Also about Goku's ray gun incident...it's a plot hole. Plain and simple. Frieza can survive a planetary explosion while knocked out and cut in half...shooting a ray gun at goku when he's this strong is like slingshooting a marshmellow to your chest. Something I don't like is Vegeta never getting SSJ3, but you don't hear me calling it a plot hole, cause it's not it's just something I don't like. This...yeah this is a big old plot hole, disagree if you must but why do you feel it has to be because I don't like it? I can't have a rational thought process behind it? Man whenever you reply to a comment of min, it always comes off as typed with disdain. Maybe it's how I'm reading it, idk but it's always something that kind of bugged me considering how different you come off in the podcast. It's like you're a different person on the forums. Much more bitter.

(Then again I'm bitter about dragonball stuff at times too so, yeah pot calling the kettle black over here.) IDK, I think we COULD have a nice chat every now and then, but I have this unshakey feeling you don't like me.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:37 am

I have a really hard time parsing your comments. You're all over the place.

I don't see calling Sorbet's blast on Goku a "plot hole". I just don't. I have never heard a rational thought process behind it. I have yet to be convinced. That's neither here nor there, though, so I'd ask that we all leave that out of the GT-related discussion. I'm sorry for calling attention to it, but I also don't see why you brought it up in the first place.

Sure, every conversation is pointless. I say the same thing all the time. I think this canonical one is a little different, though, and I expressed my opinion on why that is. I literally answered the question. I contributed to the discussion.

Personally, I don't really want a canon. Anything's fine. Or if they want to make one, that's fine too.

(I have no idea who you are and I don't know what I have or have not said to you in responses before.)
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:39 am

I really like GT, but it's not in continuity with where the franchise seems to be going heading forward, and that's fine--in my mind it's part of the first anime trilogy continuity-wise (headcanon?), but any thoughts of "canon" stop there, because there isn't one. Whether I think it's a better overall path will depend on how the new material ends. More than likely I'll continue to have some appreciation for each, as I already do for both the manga and GT's endings.
VegettoEX wrote:I don't see calling Sorbet's blast on Goku a "plot hole". I just don't.
You don't remember that super-special interview where Toriyama said, "No matter what, Goku cannot be hurt by a laser. It can't happen"? It must exist, right? There's no way fans on the Internet would've gotten so worked up about it otherwise.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:47 am

I'd rather have GT canon than Super.
I dislike how Goku is portrayed in Super, it's made me grown to dislike him in the series. I don't really understand why they made him so cringy and childish. It really takes away how his character was in Z and gave us Kid Goku again.

GT Brought back 17, a character that should be in Super? Makes no sense to leave him out when 18 is still kicking around.

Bulma looks 20 years younger and they've gave her fanservice treatment, really not cool.

SSJ4 Is just...super badass and the design is godlevel. Seans performance when doing SSJ4 was incredible! his voice was so deep and he said some really cool lines!

GT has been so much more entertaining than Super in my opinion.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:53 am

VegettoEX wrote:I have a really hard time parsing your comments. You're all over the place.

I don't see calling Sorbet's blast on Goku a "plot hole". I just don't. I have never heard a rational thought process behind it. I have yet to be convinced. That's neither here nor there, though, so I'd ask that we all leave that out of the GT-related discussion. I'm sorry for calling attention to it, but I also don't see why you brought it up in the first place.

Sure, every conversation is pointless. I say the same thing all the time. I think this canonical one is a little different, though, and I expressed my opinion on why that is. I literally answered the question. I contributed to the discussion.

Personally, I don't really want a canon. Anything's fine. Or if they want to make one, that's fine too.

(I have no idea who you are and I don't know what I have or have not said to you in responses before.)

I brought it up because he was mentioning GT power compared to super's an I used it to explain why you can't really use feats in dragonball. I can explain why it's a plot hole here or in a private message if you like. To me it's clear as water.

It's just you seam to twist what I say a lot...idk. Whatever. For me I think canon's nothing to fight over, but it's fun for some to talk about. I wanna know if people here like/consider GT canon like I seen in other places. I mean if you're obsessed with a franchise, chances are you wanna know what's going on in the story and what's considered "not in continuity" with what version of the story so you understand it. As a kid I couldn't wrap my head around where fusion reborn took place, it really bothered me. That's what happens when you grow up on the stuff XD

I get no defined canon= people talking about it more and free advertisement in a way but I still think they should go out and say

Ball-Z-GT is the anime canon

kai/super- alternate anime canon

or something like that. Star Wars says what's canon and they do fine. Make a book on it and you'll make a lot of money on it. :lol:

Cipher wrote:I really like GT, but it's not in continuity with where the franchise seems to be going heading forward, and that's fine--in my mind it's part of the first anime trilogy continuity-wise (headcanon?), but any thoughts of "canon" stop there, because there isn't one. Whether I think it's a better overall path will depend on how the new material ends. More than likely I'll continue to have some appreciation for each, as I already do for both the manga and GT's endings.
VegettoEX wrote:I don't see calling Sorbet's blast on Goku a "plot hole". I just don't.
You don't remember that super-special interview where Toriyama said, "No matter what, Goku cannot be hurt by a laser. It can't happen"? It must exist, right? There's no way fans on the Internet would've gotten so worked up about it otherwise.
That's a good thought, I too consider it in the continuity/ canon of the first 2 animes. I think Super fits more with kai then the manga as it has some filler stuff that was in kai like Gregory. Maybe the two films fit with the manga? IDK. Food for thought.

About the quote-Wait did Toriyama say that or are you asking if he said that?
HybridSaiyan wrote:I'd rather have GT canon than Super.
I dislike how Goku is portrayed in Super, it's made me grown to dislike him in the series. I don't really understand why they made him so cringy and childish. It really takes away how his character was in Z and gave us Kid Goku again.

GT Brought back 17, a character that should be in Super? Makes no sense to leave him out when 18 is still kicking around.

Bulma looks 20 years younger and they've gave her fanservice treatment, really not cool.

SSJ4 Is just...super badass and the design is godlevel. Seans performance when doing SSJ4 was incredible! his voice was so deep and he said some really cool lines!

GT has been so much more entertaining than Super in my opinion.
Agreed, although I don't mind Goku in Super, just how he's colored. Didn't like the shine effect in GT, didn't like it in Super, especially with the new color palette. Bulma does look younger, but so does goku and vegeta strangely.....

I know i'll like super's dub less then GT's too because I liked pre raging blast 2 funimation dub best. Although it's still good, the old dub was better, the new frieza is nice though. I kind of want Super to go on longer then GT. I'd hate if it ends at the enxt arc, which hopefully it won't.

would you want Super to connect to GT when it ends? Or do you want it to be a separate continuity?
I'd want it to be separate only if we can get some new post Z content. I want them to go past Uub already personally.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:59 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Kuririn Fan wrote:No, i don't consider it and don't want it as canon. It's garbage and i think majority of fans share the non canon opinion.
I'll repeat, no GT bashing please. You know GT fans will come here and get offended. Please don't be devil's advocate. This might be hypocritical of me since I've bashed super a bit in front of fans, but it wasn't of hate but of criticism since I like super. Anyways please keep those comments out of here. Thank you.
You asked the question - i answered.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:07 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
You asked the question - i answered.
Yeah but it's HOW you answered. After the first post asked for no GT bashing. Simple request man. It's like when you sent that message on GT a while back, I get you hate it, but I like it. You can't get so condescending for people like the same franchise's other that you don't like...

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:08 am

If you limit the conversation to only people that agree with you, it's not longer a conversation. At the risk of perhaps being a little too vulgar for what it's worth, it just becomes a circlejerk at that point.

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:16 am

VegettoEX wrote:If you limit the conversation to only people that agree with you, it's not longer a conversation. At the risk of perhaps being a little too vulgar for what it's worth, it just becomes a circlejerk at that point.

I don't want it limited to those who AGREE with me, I never asked for that, I just don't want GT bashing. Then it turns into people arguing and it goes nowhere. He can say no all he likes, all I ask is he doesn't pointlessly bash the show to no avail other then annoying people. There's nothing to gain from it.

Just say Yes, no, or no because you don't like GT but there's no need to call a show garbage just to troll people. Dragonball has enough trolls on message boards already.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:16 am

As much as I've forced myself to enjoy Super, that switch just isn't clicking. For someone who prefers Bruce's score and the long tense fights with brutal violence battle damaging destruction, this isn't the show for me. I feel as though the characters aren't acting like the way they did during the Z era so i do not want Super to be my canon. I'd rather follow the movie versions if anything. The power level issues get to me as well in Super..

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:20 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:As much as I've forced myself to enjoy Super, that switch just isn't clicking. For someone who prefers Bruce's score and the long tense fights with brutal violence battle damaging destruction, this isn't the show for me. I feel as though the characters aren't acting like the way they did during the Z era so i do not want Super to be my canon. I'd rather follow the movie versions if anything. The power level issues get to me as well in Super..

So then where does GT fall for you? With the movies and Z? Or do you just want the films? Some people just have a head canon of ball+Z.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:22 am

I personally only view the manga as "canon" and everything else, no matter who wrote it, how good it is or how well it fits into continuity as side stories. The only thing I consider canon to it are rewrites by Toriyama, so if he decides, for example, to rewrite the ending with Uub, I will accept that as the new status of the manga. Even comments by the author himself I don't take at face value, like Buu being there from the dawn of the universe. However, I can't really say I like GT, but compared to most of the fandom I think I am much more positive to it. I really like the designs, for one. The stories had a lot of potential to be amazing and most of the time they fell flat, but it's better to have SOMETHING with this concepts rather than nothing at all. Super or whatever comes next, however, I don't think should try to limit itself because of GT. The show is there and you can enjoy it no matter what somebody else choses to do with the franchise.

That said, I hope GT won't get ignored in the future in stuff like video games and such. I mean, I love what if match ups like SSJ4 Goku vs SSG Goku or Omega Shenron vs Golden Freeza. I mean, if nothing else, the characters are unique and since they will never turn up ever again in an official anime/manga, they should have their place in auxiliary media. That's why I like Heroes so much, even though I've never played it, because it doesn't give a shit and has something for any Dragon Ball fan, be he a Super lover, GT hater or whatever else.
Last edited by Draconic on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:23 am

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:As much as I've forced myself to enjoy Super, that switch just isn't clicking. For someone who prefers Bruce's score and the long tense fights with brutal violence battle damaging destruction, this isn't the show for me. I feel as though the characters aren't acting like the way they did during the Z era so i do not want Super to be my canon. I'd rather follow the movie versions if anything. The power level issues get to me as well in Super..

So then where does GT fall for you? With the movies and Z? Or do you just want the films? Some people just have a head canon of ball+Z.
GT to me is just the story after Z. I count BoG and RoF as canon after Buu but not Super. I pray they just make a third movie with the Universe 6 arc.

I also say SSJ4> SSGB.