Why is Broly popular?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Why is Broly popular?

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 04, 2016 7:10 am

I get why Goku is popular, he's the main character. I get why Vegeta is popular, he's the rival of the main character and was once a villain. I get why any of the main characters in the series are popular. But I cannot comprehend how a movie character whose only lines consist of "KAKAROTTO!" is popular in the slightest. What makes him any different from other villains like Slug or Tullece? Why did Broly stick?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why is Broly popular?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:13 am

Probably because he is the first SSj villain and he has a big muscular body design. He has a cool looking design compare to the other villains. He also nearly kill everyone until Goku pull off a random attack out of nowhere to defeat him.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed May 04, 2016 7:25 am

I've tried to rationalise this a number of times.

I think that he encapsulates a raw, cut-down caricature of what Dragonball Z is to a lot of people - "epic" fights and superlative battles. Broly is what you end up with when you strip away everything from a Dragonball villain - every motive, every ounce of character, every fibre of back-story, and get as close as possible to being just a big and imposing physical roadblock.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed May 04, 2016 9:06 am

I myself have no idea why Broli is so popular. What is it about this one dimensional hulk that the fans even the creator himself is so obsessed with?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:36 am

The video game intros made Broli feel stronger too. Budokai 3 had him punching Gogeta in the face. His size and him being legendary makes people think that he is super strong. He also had a somewhat decent backstory in the first movie. I like him better than Super #13 who was a poor man's version of Cell with almost no personality and had a very silly looking design.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 04, 2016 9:43 am

I think his design has a lot to do with it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed May 04, 2016 10:00 am

It is a multitude of factors, first and foremost, yes he is basically what a lot of people think DEE BEE ZEE is all about. He's just this pure distillation of what is overall a fraction of the franchise's charm. But that's not really all there is to it and I think some fans miss that. First off, at the time his first movie was rather unique, it was a lot darker then the ones before it and Broly, once unleashed, was a pure sadistic killing machine. Though I think a lot of people forget in Movie 8, he was a lot more articulate and even a little witty...His design is also a major part of his popularity, this big hulking monster of a man...yeah some people are gonna dig that. His design screams MAXIMUM POWER and THIS IS MY FINAL FORM all over the place.

For me, while yes I dig the design and the very sadist way he goes about things in movie 8, I also think the parallels he shares with Goku also add to his character in a way. He's a way better dark mirror of Goku then say Tullace. That and I like a lot of the concepts behind him as well that make him a lot more of Goku's negative world doppelganger in a way.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Wed May 04, 2016 10:16 am

"Why is Broly popular?"

Because he's the most scary and menacing villain in Dragon Ball. They designed him to look the biggest and strongest so of course he's going to be popular. If they rewrote his character with more inteligence he would actually be cool.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed May 04, 2016 10:22 am

Because he is stylish and cool in appearance for many people, same goes for that even greater hopelessness that you can see when the heroes fight him. Really only Beerus topped that "oh crap, no matter what it does not help".
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed May 04, 2016 10:24 am

A quick addendum to my previous post! I think Broly is also a fine example of "Not every character needs to be flushed out to be enjoyed." It is a blast to watch Broly tear through people and just do what he does, he's a villain whom you watch for the fighting, not the motives behind the fighting. I mean he still holds that record of "Never defeated in pure 1v1 combat." If that makes any sense, writing this all early morning so pardon anything that sounds like tired ramblings.
Last edited by voltlunok on Wed May 04, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed May 04, 2016 10:24 am

Doctor. wrote:I get why Goku is popular, he's the main character. I get why Vegeta is popular, he's the rival of the main character and was once a villain. I get why any of the main characters in the series are popular. But I cannot comprehend how a movie character whose only lines consist of "KAKAROTTO!" is popular in the slightest. What makes him any different from other villains like Slug or Tullece? Why did Broly stick?
Because he is a straight, no-bullshit, powerhouse, hellbent on wrecking stuff, with a cool look/design and a mythical (and interesting) backstory. A character doesn't have to be very complex to be liked, sometimes being simple works best.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed May 04, 2016 10:39 am

rereboy wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I get why Goku is popular, he's the main character. I get why Vegeta is popular, he's the rival of the main character and was once a villain. I get why any of the main characters in the series are popular. But I cannot comprehend how a movie character whose only lines consist of "KAKAROTTO!" is popular in the slightest. What makes him any different from other villains like Slug or Tullece? Why did Broly stick?
Because he is a straight, no-bullshit, powerhouse, hellbent on wrecking stuff, with a cool look/design and a mythical (and interesting) backstory. A character doesn't have to be very complex to be liked, sometimes being simple works best.
Yeah, but here's my thing: how many times can you swing a wrecking ball before it stops being impactful?

Broly's lack of depth makes him difficult to port beyond the confines of his first appearance, which, in part, is why his two appearances in subsequent films didn't make a lot of sense.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed May 04, 2016 10:45 am

He is basically and literally the personanification of what a lot of people thinks Dragon Ball is: flat character development with many fights, action, tension, transformations and some other "badass" stuff. Not more than that.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed May 04, 2016 10:47 am

Blade wrote:
Yeah, but here's my thing: how many times can you swing a wrecking ball before it stops being impactful?

Broly's lack of depth makes him difficult to port beyond the confines of his first appearance, which, in part, is why his two appearances in subsequent films didn't make a lot of sense.
He can certainly overstay his welcome, but that is true with any character and how quickly he overstays his welcome doesn't depend just on the character but also on the fan's opinion. In any case, the question of the topic is why people like him, not why people don't like him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 04, 2016 11:21 am

Don't underestimate people's love of things based almost purely on design. Boba Fett is loved by so many people simply because he has a great design. Broly has a memorable design and he's a wrecking machine which is also popular.
Which is why the sequels weren't as popular, but that doesn't mean people hate the character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:29 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:I myself have no idea why Broli is so popular. What is it about this one dimensional hulk that the fans even the creator himself is so obsessed with?
cool looking design check
interesting background check
stomping the z fighters with charisma check
i mean broly along with cooler and janempa also turles are the most recongnizable movie villians from the franchise along what others have stated is due to his design plus the english dub seem to give him more a personality than in the original :lol: plus his apperance screams you fucked x10 they need a deus ex machina to beat him in the first movie true his character isn't much but it not you need depth to be entertaining.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:36 am

-His design is cool
-He wrecks a bunch of shit with a wrestling martial arts style, which is different from other fights.
-The first Super Saiyan villain
-The fact he's called the Legendary Super Saiyan which alone brings up hype
-The video game stuff that hyped him up further
-Being batshit insane (People like Kid Boo for the same reason)
-His pure unbridled hatred of Goku for motivation
-His battle cry which just got sillier and sillier over time.
-Probably his trollish attitude, scene more so in the dub.
-Power level wank
-Peoples more recent hatred just sparked more attention for him.

And I think that's it.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed May 04, 2016 6:55 pm

If we're still allowed to say this confidently, Broly is entertaining to watch from the unique and apparently exclusive idea of an evil super saiyan makes him stand out. He also has a very royal-esc design and the most unique for the series Imo.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 04, 2016 7:06 pm

He's basically an amalgamation of all the superficial tropes in regards to Dragon Ball: He's tall, he has huge muscles, he screams a lot, he loves to kill and fight, he's always after Goku and he has spiky coloured hair. Plus, the video games shoehorn him into everything and wank his strength to the nth degree

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed May 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Cuz he broly.
Naw just kidding. It probably due to he's a big muscular dude who tears stuff up and a lot people like that. And his back story is pretty cool to.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸