Anyone interested in discussing the social issues of DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Anyone interested in discussing the social issues of DB?

Post by Vijay » Wed May 18, 2016 5:48 am

My post right now is based on OP which showed intention of divulging into racism, sexism etc

Toriyama for most part played safe. Despite exhibiting stereotypical cliches/racist overtones with Mr.Popo & Black Shogun, it was never overdone to the point of "ON YA FACE JERKS!!"

But TOEI glorifies those points almost exclusively

Take Doltacki from GT for instance. Never came across such disgusting hentai no yaaro in ANY anime series before & despite he never really did anything vulgar within the confines of DragonBall franchise, felt his character to be quite a mirror image of certain section of peoples in real life. Scary.

My 2 cents

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed May 18, 2016 8:42 am

Zenkai wrote:In terms of homosexuality, I'm glad it's not in Dragon Ball much; only Blue and Otokosuki come to mind, and they weren't around much.

I really dislike how the homosexual agenda is being pushed into all types of modern media so much.

Please leave sexual perversions out of DB.
Aaaaand here we go again. There's no mention in your post about the old man who shrinks himself down to spy on an underage girl going to the bathroom, but it being implied that a man is attracted to other men... now that's just perverted! The day that such attitudes are looked back on with the same derision and embarrassment as making people of different races use different water fountains is a day that cannot come soon enough.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 18, 2016 8:44 am

Agreed. While I'm all for nuance in opinions (we are all human, after all!), if you're not going to be thorough about it and would prefer to just come out as a bigot directly toward your fellow fans, please find another community to be a part of. You're not welcome here.

How's that for an agenda?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed May 18, 2016 9:50 am

VegettoEX wrote:Agreed. While I'm all for nuance in opinions (we are all human, after all!), if you're not going to be thorough about it and would prefer to just come out as a bigot directly toward your fellow fans, please find another community to be a part of. You're not welcome here.

How's that for an agenda?
I don't see how these people who are "coming out as bigots" are directing any kind of judgement towards anyone on this forum. It's not personal. It's not directed "toward your fellow fans." It's unlikely to come up outside this thread.

These people are already paying the price for what they've said. Their reputations will never be the same. But saying that they're not welcome when they bring up their beliefs in one of the only threads where this conversation is considered on-topic is absurd and childish. Some people have a problem with homosexuals, let's all pretend to be surprised by this.

And no, I'm not talking about myself here.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 18, 2016 9:53 am

Tyro wrote:But saying that they're not welcome when they bring up their beliefs in one of the only threads where this conversation is considered on-topic is absurd.
Look, I get the hilarity/irony here.

But we're going to draw a line somewhere, and that's basically it. Allowing the bigoted part of the discussion to stand free without a firm condemnation implies acceptance and agreement with the stance. And hey, very much firmly NO here from the people paying the bills.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed May 18, 2016 9:53 am

If it were my forum, I'd ban these disgusting people the second they hit post, so there's that. I think Mike's being lenient as it is.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed May 18, 2016 10:02 am

VegettoEX wrote:Allowing the bigoted part of the discussion to stand free without a firm condemnation implies acceptance and agreement with the stance. And hey, very much firmly NO here from the people paying the bills.
Who's "allowing" anything? Their opinions are called out every time, in multitude, and very maturely. That they're not even allowed to voice them in THIS thread is ridiculous. Might as well rename the thread "Please validate how I feel."

I mean, if these guys were going around the forum and bringing hatred up in random threads, yeah, go wild. Swing that ban hammer. But they're not. They're saying "I don't care for homosexuals and/or homosexual representation in media" in one thread where that's kinda-sorta what it's about.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 18, 2016 10:11 am

But that's NOT what was just said ("I don't care for homosexuals and/or homosexual representation in media"); it was far more than that. The instant you break out "pushing the agenda" it's a different beast. And, as Gaffer so perfectly pointed out, the hypocrisy of solely equating the existence of homosexuality as the perverted-ness to leave out... that says all that needs to be said, doesn't it?

If that's NOT what's being said, it certainly came across that way to multiple people (myself included), and I'd love to read a heartfelt retraction on that.

So again, yes: opinions are valid, we're all entitled to them, but if they're going to be wielded to essentially invalidate/condemn the very state-of-being of other fans, that's the line we're drawing.

I get where you're coming from. I really do. I really appreciate your input and your challenges. Thank you for that. I hope you can also understand where I/we/Kanzenshuu is/are coming from.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:22 am

There's a big difference between "I don't agree with the choices they've made," and "They are espousing sexual perversion and we need to follow the lead of Russia and Iran in exposing these people for the freaks they are," (which has been said in this thread.)
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:56 am

Tyro wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Allowing the bigoted part of the discussion to stand free without a firm condemnation implies acceptance and agreement with the stance. And hey, very much firmly NO here from the people paying the bills.
Who's "allowing" anything? Their opinions are called out every time, in multitude, and very maturely. That they're not even allowed to voice them in THIS thread is ridiculous. Might as well rename the thread "Please validate how I feel."

I mean, if these guys were going around the forum and bringing hatred up in random threads, yeah, go wild. Swing that ban hammer. But they're not. They're saying "I don't care for homosexuals and/or homosexual representation in media" in one thread where that's kinda-sorta what it's about.
But they are allowed to voice them in this thread. Multiple homophobic posts have been made(albeit by mostly the same user)and they're still up, the user isn't banned or anything like that. I'm against the overly-PC censorship as much as the next guy, but free speech goes both ways. Someone is saying something homophobic and people are calling them out for it. They're free to argue/defend their point(at least I think, no one seems to want to anyways though)but I hope you understand this is not just people saying "I don't LGBT representation in popular media matters" it's people saying "No queers in MY Dragon Ball" or talking about "muh gay agenda" and I hope you understand the difference between the two.

I also fail to see what makes you think this is a "please validate how I feel" thread. If you look through it you will see lots of different arguments being presented and people agreeing or disagreeing with them. In regards to the like, two(?)users who have made homophobic posts this is different from something like all these college speakers being run out of the colleges by protesters as they're not even allowed to make their point. But these people are, and they can continue to do so(within reason,although it's all up to the mods in the end).
Last edited by gogeta97 on Wed May 18, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 18, 2016 12:05 pm

free speech goes both ways
This is me just being my pendantic self, but free speech doesn't apply in this context. Everyone has every right to say what they want, but the owners of this forum don't have to give anyone the platform to say it. If Mike doesn't like what someone says or how they say it then decides to kick them off, he hasn't interfered with anyone's rights.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Wed May 18, 2016 12:15 pm

ABED wrote:
free speech goes both ways
This is me just being my pendantic self, but free speech doesn't apply in this context. Everyone has every right to say what they want, but the owners of this forum don't have to give anyone the platform to say it. If Mike doesn't like what someone says or how they say it then decides to kick them off, he hasn't interfered with anyone's rights.
You do know I was talking about the people who took issue with the homophobic posts right? I was saying that people are free to express their bigoted opinions but calling people out for it is also people expressing their free speech, so is the mods banning them.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:There's a big difference between "I don't agree with the choices they've made," and "They are espousing sexual perversion and we need to follow the lead of Russia and Iran in exposing these people for the freaks they are," (which has been said in this thread.)
While I agree that there's a difference, I'd also say that people espousing the latter need every chance they can get to be persuaded away from those views.
Zenkai wrote:In terms of homosexuality, I'm glad it's not in Dragon Ball much; only Blue and Otokosuki come to mind, and they weren't around much.

I really dislike how the homosexual agenda is being pushed into all types of modern media so much.

Please leave sexual perversions out of DB.
What even counts as "pushing the homosexual agenda"? I'm inferring from your post that you don't think that Dragon Ball is quite at the level of pushing it, but I'm not quite sure if that's because of their portrayal, or if that's because of how few of them show up. In either case, why shouldn't the "homosexual agenda" be pushed? If positive depiction and reasonable representation is "pushing an agenda", what's wrong with any gender, race, sexuality, age, etc.'s "agenda" being "pushed"?

And what makes homosexuality a form of perversion, let alone one somehow distinct from what Dragon Ball typically does? Heterosexuality isn't considered perversion, why should a different sexual preference? Is it because it is less common? What difference should that make? Now uncommon sexual interests are unworthy of dignified regard? It certainly can't be because homosexuality is unnatural, because it's 100% natural. Maybe you just believe that sexual conduct in general is just absolutely perverse, no matter what. Which would also be a really odd view to hold. Really not seeing anything worth condemning homosexuality over. Every attempt at justifying this view involves either false premises or huge leaps in logic.

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Zephyr wrote: And what makes homosexuality a form of perversion, let alone one somehow distinct from what Dragon Ball typically does? Heterosexuality isn't considered perversion, why should a different sexual preference? Is it because it is less common? What difference should that make? Now uncommon sexual interests are unworthy of dignified regard? It certainly can't be because homosexuality is unnatural, because it's 100% natural. Maybe you just believe that sexual conduct in general is just absolutely perverse, no matter what. Which would also be a really odd view to hold. Really not seeing anything worth condemning homosexuality over. Every attempt at justifying this view involves either false premises or huge leaps in logic.
But if we normalize homosexuality then we'll have to normalize pedophillia and beastiality too! :roll:

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:18 pm

gogeta97 wrote:
Zephyr wrote: And what makes homosexuality a form of perversion, let alone one somehow distinct from what Dragon Ball typically does? Heterosexuality isn't considered perversion, why should a different sexual preference? Is it because it is less common? What difference should that make? Now uncommon sexual interests are unworthy of dignified regard? It certainly can't be because homosexuality is unnatural, because it's 100% natural. Maybe you just believe that sexual conduct in general is just absolutely perverse, no matter what. Which would also be a really odd view to hold. Really not seeing anything worth condemning homosexuality over. Every attempt at justifying this view involves either false premises or huge leaps in logic.
But if we normalize homosexuality then we'll have to normalize pedophillia and beastiality too! :roll:
Technically those would be as natural, but they are much more harmful.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed May 18, 2016 3:23 pm

gogeta97 wrote:
But those two are crimes....homosexuality doesn't fall on that category.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 18, 2016 3:25 pm

gogeta97 wrote:
I know that you're being facetious with that, but the response has always puzzled me when used sincerely. Those two are always treated as inherently wrong, with no real logic behind the condemnation (pedophilia =/= child molestation/abuse). Normalizing an attraction to something (refraining from condemning someone simply because of their own un-chosen sexual inclinations) doesn't necessarily lead to an individual with such inclinations performing harmful actions as a result. In the same way that a heterosexual male is not condemned to harming women by being attracted to them, a homosexual man is not condemned to harming men by virtue of being attracted to them. The same, I believe, would necessarily apply to pedophiles and people who are into animals.

I mean, I could understand if there was just disgust there. Fundamental, reasonless, inherent disgust. Everyone has it for one thing or another. A lot of people have it for homosexuality. A lot of people have it for pedophilia. A lot of people have it for being-into-animals. It wouldn't surprise me if some had it for heterosexuality. Hell, a lot of people just straight up don't like the way Masako Nozawa's Goku voice sounds! Disgust is a natural thing to have, and I'm not going to judge anyone for being disgusted by something that I'm not. On the same token, I'm not going to judge someone for not being disgusted by something that I find repulsive.

However, being disgusted by something isn't sufficient to call it "bad" or "wrong". One's own individual personal taste is ultimately arbitrary (it's not chosen by us, and it can be infinitely varied), and it doesn't reflect how unnatural or harmful something actually is. I honestly wish people would stop pretending that it is, or adamantly insisting that they have valid reasons for a condemnation when it's simply raw, fundamental disgust. Conflating disgust with justified moral condemnation is a very dangerous road to go down. This, again, is why we need these sorts of discussions to happen more frequently, in society in general. The more people are encouraged to speak their minds and formulate arguments to justify their beliefs and sentiments, the better they can see which beliefs and sentiments are fundamental and reasonless, and which ones possess logical rigor that can be used persuasively. Subsequently, we can see which fundamental sentiments can be augmented by reasoning and argumentation, and which ones cannot.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:44 pm

Zephyr wrote:
gogeta97 wrote: But if we normalize homosexuality then we'll have to normalize pedophillia and beastiality too! :roll:
I know that you're being facetious with that, but the response has always puzzled me when used sincerely. Those two are always treated as inherently wrong, with no real logic behind the condemnation (pedophilia =/= child molestation/abuse). Normalizing an attraction to something (refraining from condemning someone simply because of their own un-chosen sexual inclinations) doesn't necessarily lead to an individual with such inclinations performing harmful actions as a result. In the same way that a heterosexual male is not condemned to harming women by being attracted to them, a homosexual man is not condemned to harming men by virtue of being attracted to them. The same, I believe, would necessarily apply to pedophiles and people who are into animals.
There is a fundamental objection to bestiality and pedophilia that you are missing here. While there are certainly people who find it disgusting and would rather have it illegal by that justification alone, the reason it is illegal in law is because of the inability to consent. An animal has no rational thinking ability compared to that of a human and no way of communicating even if it did. By this simple fact, it is impossible for an animal to give consent to a sexual act with a human. Therefore, a sexual act performed on an animal is tantamount to the rape/sexual abuse of said animal.

The same concept applies to pedophilia. A child does not have the mental capacity to give informed consent to a sexual act with an adult. Therefore, any sexual act performed on a child by an adult is rape/sexual abuse. The problem is, people often conflate those with fetishes of children and animals to those who participate in the sexual abuse of children and animals. I condemn those who take in part in those actions and pity those who live with part of their sexuality being considered monstrous. Finding non-destructive outlets for that part of their sexuality shouldn't be as demonized as it is in my opinion. I would rather they do that than participate in a truly destructive act toward a child or animal.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 18, 2016 3:56 pm

MrWalnut4 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
gogeta97 wrote: But if we normalize homosexuality then we'll have to normalize pedophillia and beastiality too! :roll:
There is a fundamental objection to bestiality and pedophilia that you are missing here. While there are certainly people who find it disgusting and would rather have it illegal by that justification alone, the reason it is illegal in law is because of the inability to consent.
I'm aware of that caveat, but I'm talking about the sexual preferences themselves, not acting on them. Whether or not acting on them is ever justified is another can of worms entirely, and I'm pretty much in agreement with you on those matters.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed May 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Speaking of racism, this is kind of minor to bring up, but does anyone else feel that the recent situation with Frost sort of unintentionally promotes the idea of racism? Not only has every member of Freeza's race been portrayed as an evil scumbag, but Vegeta seemed to imply that every member of Freeza's race is probably like that, and no one else in the show even bothers to call him out for that.

Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but that seems to be imply that it's okay to judge people by other members of their race. Not the best message for kids. I'm guessing that's more on Toei than Toriyama, since they also portrayed General Blue as a pedophile.