Dragonball and your kids

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragonball and your kids

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:23 pm

I'm going to hope you're joking saiyanvegetable, because if you're not...wow. Just...wow. Keeping your kids from seeing something that's actually not appropriate for them is one thing. Keeping something from them just because you yourself don't like it? That's just overly authoritarian.

Guess I should keep any kids of mine from watching Spongebob then, if that's the way the world rolls.

Sarcastic rebuttal aside, I definitely have plans to show any future kids of mine (if I have any) the series, as well as a lot of other series that I like. And I'll certainly hope that they take a liking to at least a few of the franchises I like - it'd give us all the more to connect with, much the way I have fun talking with my own mother about things we're both into - but if something hooks them in, it hooks them in, and if it doesn't, it doesn't.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:07 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:2 yo is definitely too young, I think I was around 10 when I first watched this series.
I guess 10 would be a good age to get into Dragon Ball uncut. However it depends on them. If they can sit through a good amount of PG-13 movies, I think that they should be okay. Most PG-13 movies for the last 10 years are pretty violent. Man of Steel had Superman snapping Zod's neck and that would be pretty violent for a five year old to sit through.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:24 am

saiyanvegetable wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
saiyanvegetable wrote:They'll be raised on dragonball. But Super will be banned. I will not have my kids grow up with poor taste.
You act as if Dragon Ball is some high class show when it reality it's just as inoffensive but also lacking in several areas, much like Super, GT and all of the movies.
No, I really don't. It has it's flaws and it's not some amazingly complex show that has me on the edge of my seat. But let's be real, if you want your kids watching soulless cookie cutter money making machine idiot pandering garbage, who am I to stop you.
This series has been a "money making machine" ever since Toei and Shueisha kept telling Toriyama to continue on with the manga because so much cash was rolling in.

Also, we get it. You hate Super. No need to shit on it on every chance you get.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:24 am

I won't force it on them.
I've got my then 5-6 year old brother to watch Dragon Ball Kai, because my parents divorced before he was born and I am since then like a father figure to him and raised him actually.
He was always with me in my room when I was living with my mom, and of course, I was watching Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya and Gundam.
As it started airing and he cried when Goku was killed in the Raditz fight, I told him that I have all the episodes and he saw the whole DBZ and then Dragon Ball, which stole him the suspense, as he knew that Goku can't die as Dragon Ball is the first series. Then he saw GT, but he doesn't like it much and hates the live action Dragon Ball movie (He literally told me, that it was shit and I can't argue about that :D )
Now he's 13 and he loves the new movies and DB Super.

But I don't think it's good to enforce the show on anybody, just because it's one of my favorites. I am that type like my father was: ''Hey, that's a show of my childhood/good movie, do you wanna watch with me?''
That's how my dad got me into Star Wars, Batman and Alien and plethora of good movies. I even saw really good movies, comedies and Woody Allen because of him.
He on the other hand didn't like my shows like Thundercats and made fun of Power Rangers (but PR is pretty horrible show as I revisited some episodes this year out of nostalgia).
But he respected what I like and never forced me into anything + he got me things I liked if I asked and even taped me Dragon Ball GT from TV as I was in afterschool hobby group.
Yeah and he didn't like Dragon Ball, but that's what I will be as a father, which should be around 5+ years as I am 27 and my girlfriend/wife is 25 (we are together for 8 years) :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:36 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Guess I should keep any kids of mine from watching Spongebob then, if that's the way the world rolls.
With anything past the first few seasons, that might actually be a good idea.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

gogeta97
Beyond Newbie

Post by gogeta97 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:47 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:With anything past the first few seasons, that might actually be a good idea.
Yeah I know Gyt Kaliba was just joking but in all seriousness the first three seasons of the show and the first movie all hold up surprisingly well.
fadeddreams5 wrote:At this point, that time machine is symbolic to how fans feel about Super. We hope it gets better, but ultimately find ourselves going back in time to a better series.