Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:11 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:While I'm not a fan of the old Funimation dub of DBZ and how they altered Goku's personality, I don't see how Schemmel sounds like Superman in that dub. He doesn't sound anything like Tim Daly and George Newbern.
They mean how he sounds like a Super Man type character.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:While I'm not a fan of the old Funimation dub of DBZ and how they altered Goku's personality, I don't see how Schemmel sounds like Superman in that dub. He doesn't sound anything like Tim Daly and George Newbern.
They mean how he sounds like a Super Man type character.
Like 8000, I still don't hear anything of that sort in Schemmel's Goku voice, even from the beginning.

Now, if you said that his lines in the dub sound like Superman, that would have more credence. There are times where I question if people are confusing the voice work and the script, somehow meshing the two together.

Want a real Superman Goku? Look no further than the Big Green dub.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Superman is a specific character when what I think is Goku comes off as a pure goody two shoes generic superhero. The problem is that the most notable and first superhero is Superman. He's the root of superheroes. So while Schemmel's DBZ Goku doesn't sound like the DCAU Superman, he does come off as a preachy golden age superhero.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:20 pm

ABED wrote:Superman is a specific character when what I think is Goku comes off as a pure goody two shoes generic superhero. The problem is that the most notable and first superhero is Superman. He's the root of superheroes. So while Schemmel's DBZ Goku doesn't sound like the DCAU Superman, he does come off as a preachy golden age superhero.
Again though, Schemmel's Goku voice sounds like no particular incarnation of any Superman, or rather the character at all. The script is the main offender for that sort of thing.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:38 pm

Gonstead wrote:
ABED wrote:Superman is a specific character when what I think is Goku comes off as a pure goody two shoes generic superhero. The problem is that the most notable and first superhero is Superman. He's the root of superheroes. So while Schemmel's DBZ Goku doesn't sound like the DCAU Superman, he does come off as a preachy golden age superhero.
Again though, Schemmel's Goku voice sounds like no particular incarnation of any Superman, or rather the character at all. The script is the main offender for that sort of thing.
I didn't say he did. I said he sounds like a generic superhero.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:50 am

I really hate the lack of micro animation for hair in Super, and, even when there is, it's nowhere near as good as it was in DBZ...
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:47 am

emperior wrote:I really hate the lack of micro animation for hair in Super, and, even when there is, it's nowhere near as good as it was in DBZ...
Do you mean just how plastic it looks and doesn't really 'flow'?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:59 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
emperior wrote:I really hate the lack of micro animation for hair in Super, and, even when there is, it's nowhere near as good as it was in DBZ...
Yes. I think it's even more obvious with SSJ hair, I don't remember seeing SSJ hair flow once in Super.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 am

It's nothing but a cheap, quick piece of McRhetoric to make complaints easier for regurgitation.
Retired.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:21 am

emperior wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Yes. I think it's even more obvious with SSJ hair, I don't remember seeing SSJ hair flow once in Super.
The color palette for the SSJ Hair isn't very good either.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:26 am

Oh, and people who think Sean sucks In the Original dub are just kidding themselves. He wasn't bad at all and most of his screams, power ups are superier to his Kai performance.

Take these two scenes for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpRysAo5pU0

There's clear strain in his voice from the heart virus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYFwgTN7w7E

In Kai, Sean doesn't show strain at all.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:57 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:Oh, and people who think Sean sucks In the Original dub are just kidding themselves. He wasn't bad at all and most of his screams, power ups are superier to his Kai performance.

No-one's kidding anything. Though, if you like it, more power to ya.

As for the example, while I do think that was good, I'll take the Kai one any day. I do find that Schemmel shows a bit of strain on the Z one, but I'll take those really deep and gritty screams from Kai over it. I disagree that he showed no strain. If anything, he showed way more strain in Kai. Those screams speak for themselves​, if you ask me.

If you really wanna pull an example of how his screams changed, then I'll pull one too.
This
Versus
This
They really do show his progress. That first one was really bad IMO.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Oh, and people who think Sean sucks In the Original dub are just kidding themselves. He wasn't bad at all and most of his screams, power ups are superier to his Kai performance.

No-one's kidding anything. Though, if you like it, more power to ya.

As for the example, while I do think that was good, I'll take the Kai one any day. I do find that Schemmel shows a bit of strain on the Z one, but I'll take those really deep and gritty screams from Kai over it. I disagree that he showed no strain. If anything, he showed way more strain in Kai. Those screams speak for themselves​, if you ask me.

If you really wanna pull an example of how his screams changed, then I'll pull one too.
This
Versus
This
They really do show his progress. That first one was really bad IMO.
Yeah, there's no question the Kai one blows the original out the window on the screaming but the original isn't THAT bad anyways. Seans voice is just...light instead of deep. The Ginyu Ost really mixes well with the scream however I guess that's just my nostalgia playing lmao.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:08 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Oh, and people who think Sean sucks In the Original dub are just kidding themselves. He wasn't bad at all and most of his screams, power ups are superior to his Kai performance.

I don't think Schemmel's a very good Goku, regardless. However, keep in mind that even in Dragon Ball, screaming is not a difficult or impressive aspect of voice acting. Assuming you have any natural power to your voice, it's really just a matter of how long you can hold your breath. (Yes, I've tried. It's totally not weird)
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I don't think Schemmel's a very good Goku, regardless. However, keep in mind that even in Dragon Ball, screaming is not a difficult or impressive aspect of voice acting. Assuming you have any natural power to your voice, it's really just a matter of how long you can hold your breath. (Yes, I've tried. It's totally not weird)
And yet it's surprising how a lot of these dubs of DB in different langauges really screwed up on that end. Of course, there were a lot of actors who could scream. But, in some of the most important moments, the screams could get really bad. Even some of the more faithful dubs really missed the mark at times

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Bansho64 wrote:And yet it's surprising how a lot of these dubs of DB in different langauges really screwed up on that end. Of course, there were a lot of actors who could scream. But, in some of the most important moments, the screams could get really bad. Even some of the more faithful dubs really missed the mark at times
That's just poor direction.
Retired.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:And yet it's surprising how a lot of these dubs of DB in different langauges really screwed up on that end. Of course, there were a lot of actors who could scream. But, in some of the most important moments, the screams could get really bad. Even some of the more faithful dubs really missed the mark at times
Or maybe the voice actors themselves can't scream that well.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:37 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Or maybe the voice actors themselves can't scream that well.
I doubt anyone could be so bad at yelling, but if that's the case, it's just poor casting.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Or maybe the voice actors themselves can't scream that well.
I doubt anyone could be so bad at yelling, but if that's the case, it's just poor casting.
It could honestly be either, or even both. Rene Garcia's (LATAM Vegeta) got a lot of good moments in that dub though. It's more of a rare occurrence more than anything. As for the Brazilian Tenshinhan, nearly every thing I've heard from him sounds pretty off on the screaming side. Like I said, it sounds pretty lackluster in those really important moments.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Or maybe the voice actors themselves can't scream that well.
It could honestly be either, or even both. Rene Garcia's (LATAM Vegeta) got a lot of good moments in that dub though. It's more of a rare occurrence more than anything. As for the Brazilian Tenshinhan, nearly every thing I've heard from him sounds pretty off on the screaming side. Like I said, it sounds pretty lackluster in those really important moments.
In this clip of the Brazilian Portuguese dub, their Buu is kind of lackluster as well when it comes to screaming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLizsfrr4c
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.