Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:52 pm

When people act like morons whenever you bring up the fact anime Boo arc uses different scaling from the manga. They keep regurgitating the whole "Goku said he's weaker than Super Boo!" thing like I'm an idiot who isn't aware of the inconsistency there, it's annoying.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:12 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:When people act like morons whenever you bring up the fact anime Boo arc uses different scaling from the manga. They keep regurgitating the whole "Goku said he's weaker than Super Boo!" thing like I'm an idiot who isn't aware of the inconsistency there, it's annoying.
The anime's scaling is a complete train wreck in that arc so it should be disregarded entirely. It's almost as bad as GT.
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Draconic wrote: The forums over at Comic Vine even banned any VS disscusions involving Dragon Ball characters and those forums are nowhere as civil as this place and things get heated super often, just to put it into perspective.
More and more I find that talking about DB outside of Kanzenshuu is just not a good idea period.
It's not a good idea to talk about DB on Kanzenshuu either.
Then why do you do it? :lol: :lol: :crazy: :crazy:
Last edited by PFM18 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:15 pm

PFM18 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:When people act like morons whenever you bring up the fact anime Boo arc uses different scaling from the manga. They keep regurgitating the whole "Goku said he's weaker than Super Boo!" thing like I'm an idiot who isn't aware of the inconsistency there, it's annoying.
The anime's scaling is a complete train wreck in that arc so it should be disregarded entirely. It's almost as bad as GT.
What, you mean Yamcha bring stronger than Perfect Cell doesn't make sense?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:18 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
What, you mean Yamcha bring stronger than Perfect Cell doesn't make sense?
:D :D

When was that a thing? I know there's the:

-"wow this clone is just as strong as the real Gohan!" *fights him in Base to a stand still*
-Krillin damaging Imperfect Cell
-Goku being both weaker than Super Buu and stronger than Kid Buu who was apparently stronger than Super Buu
-Weighted Paikuhan one shots Cell, Goku fights him evenly in his Base.

But I never heard of any crazy Yamcha implications. Care to explain please?

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:32 pm

When people act like Movie scaling is 1:1 to anime/manga scaling is another thing that grinds my gears

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:57 pm

PFM18 wrote:But I never heard of any crazy Yamcha implications. Care to explain please?
Well, Pikkon is strong enough to chump SPC, Olibu is the only fighter besides Goku who can give Pikkon a remote challenge, as small as it was and Yamcha is able to totally punk Olibu and another fighter no problem. Its also shown Krillin is even stronger than Yamcha. This doesn't definitively mean Yamcha or Krillin are stronger than SPC but they're pretty ridiculously strong in the anime. Kaio even means to use them as a plan B against Boo in-case Goku & Vegeta fail which, admittedly, would've been pretty awesome.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:14 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
When people act like Movie scaling is 1:1 to anime/manga scaling is another thing that grinds my gears
the only reason people think it isnt is because of the ridiculous notion that they prioritize astronomy/physics related "feats" over actual scaling from fights

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:50 pm

PFM18 wrote:the only reason people think it isnt is because of the ridiculous notion that they prioritize astronomy/physics related "feats" over actual scaling from fights
Or maybe because the movie had more impressive feats and statements which people like to ignore. Turles and Goku reaching a powerlevel of 300k before the Namek arc, Goku shaking the afterlife, Broly destroying a Galaxy over time etc.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:53 pm

PFM18 wrote: But I never heard of any crazy Yamcha implications. Care to explain please?
Cell was beaten by Paikuhan
Olibu, who was almost as good as Paikuhan, was beaten by Paikuhan
Olibu was beaten by Yamcha with ease

And I? i do not have a problem with it.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:24 pm

I see those inconsistencies as well, but they don't really bother me.
I fully agree it would be better they weren't there, but it does not make me enjoy the rest of the story less.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:36 pm

CTAkuma wrote: When people act like Movie scaling is 1:1 to anime/manga scaling is another thing that grinds my gears
This. I keep telling people that the 13 Z Movies don't scale to the main storyline.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:12 pm

CTAkuma wrote: Goku shaking the afterlife, Broly destroying a Galaxy over time etc.
Well this is exactly what I'm referring to. These sorts of things aren't meant to mean anything more than "Oh he seems tough" not to use it to extrapolate and make conclusions on power scaling. That physics/astronomy crap shouldn't really be taken into consideration whatsoever, because it was never really intended to mean anything whatsoever. These writers don't know anything abut physics, and don't give a shit about it, they don't expect you to be drawing conclusions from things like this.

Basically, if you follow this logic you end up with a cult following and conclude that:

DBZ Broly>Gogeta>>>SSJ3 Goku
ekrolo2 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:But I never heard of any crazy Yamcha implications. Care to explain please?
Well, Pikkon is strong enough to chump SPC, Olibu is the only fighter besides Goku who can give Pikkon a remote challenge, as small as it was and Yamcha is able to totally punk Olibu and another fighter no problem. Its also shown Krillin is even stronger than Yamcha. This doesn't definitively mean Yamcha or Krillin are stronger than SPC but they're pretty ridiculously strong in the anime. Kaio even means to use them as a plan B against Boo in-case Goku & Vegeta fail which, admittedly, would've been pretty awesome.
Oh alright thanks for clarifying. When I watched DBZ I skipped the Other world Tournament stuff so I wasn't familiar with those scaling screw-ups.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:31 pm

PFM18 wrote:Well this is exactly what I'm referring to. These sorts of things aren't meant to mean anything more than "Oh he seems tough" not to use it to extrapolate and make conclusions on power scaling. That physics/astronomy crap shouldn't really be taken into consideration whatsoever, because it was never really intended to mean anything whatsoever. These writers don't know anything abut physics, and don't give a shit about it, they don't expect you to be drawing conclusions from things like this.

Basically, if you follow this logic you end up with a cult following and conclude that:

Ofcourse it gets tricky to evaluate actual calculations with physics and science, but something as straightforward as "oh this guy destroyed a Galaxy *over time*" is fairly easy to understand. I mean lets use Super as an example, Toei doesn't need to have astronomers or physicians in their production stuff to portray Goku and Beerus threatening to destroy the entire universe in their clash and that being their actual intention

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:35 pm

PFM18 wrote:Then why do you do it? :lol: :lol: :crazy: :crazy:
I like to fling shit at other people and get shit flung in return.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:44 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Well this is exactly what I'm referring to. These sorts of things aren't meant to mean anything more than "Oh he seems tough" not to use it to extrapolate and make conclusions on power scaling. That physics/astronomy crap shouldn't really be taken into consideration whatsoever, because it was never really intended to mean anything whatsoever. These writers don't know anything abut physics, and don't give a shit about it, they don't expect you to be drawing conclusions from things like this.

Ofcourse it gets tricky to evaluate actual calculations with physics and science, but something as straightforward as "oh this guy destroyed a Galaxy *over time*" is fairly easy to understand. I mean lets use Super as an example, Toei doesn't need to have astronomers or physicians in their production stuff to portray Goku and Beerus threatening to destroy the entire universe in their clash and that being their actual intention
You're missing the point, this isn't a matter of it being too hard to understand, it is simply that there's so little thought put into it on their part that it is just so unreliable in nature and it was never meant to be dissected to the extent that it is. Just because Broly destroyed a Galaxy doesn't mean he still didn't lose to a tired SSJ Goku with other people's ki. But that doesn't stop people from saying that Broly is stronger than Cell, or Gogeta, SSJ3 Goku etc etc. And that's completely ridiculous.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:56 pm

PFM18 wrote: You're missing the point, this isn't a matter of it being too hard to understand, it is simply that there's so little thought put into it on their part that it is just so unreliable in nature and it was never meant to be dissected to the extent that it is. Just because Broly destroyed a Galaxy doesn't mean he still didn't lose to a tired SSJ Goku with other people's ki. But that doesn't stop people from saying that Broly is stronger than Cell, or Gogeta, SSJ3 Goku etc etc. And that's completely ridiculous.
He would be stronger than Cell through simple powerscaling, "oh Cell was stated in SPC to destroy a Solar System, Broli destroyed a Galaxy over time in his restricted form", point i'm trying to get across here is that simply comparing attack potency is a way to conclude who is stronger. Also no Broli is not stronger than Gogeta, since Gogeta exists in the same movie continuity as Broli thus should logically be superior to him.

Toriyama did state that the movie timeline is in a different dimention than the anime/manga continuity, thus them being ridiculously more powerful in the movie continuity isn't that farfetched. Again Turles and Goku KKx10 had Powerlevels of 300.000 and this was supposed to take place before the namek arc

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:05 pm

CTAkuma wrote:He would be stronger than Cell through simple powerscaling, "oh Cell was stated in SPC to destroy a Solar System, Broli destroyed a Galaxy over time in his restricted form", point i'm trying to get across here is that its simply comparing attack potency is a way to conclude who is stronger. Also no Broli is not stronger than Gogeta, since Gogeta exists in the same movie continuity as Broli thus should logically be superior to him.
Well, maybe you haven't watched Seth the Programmer's video on the matter, but if you go down the rabbit hole of using astronomy/physics and pretending that they are completely different in scaling than the normal continuity, then you end up with conclusions like Broly>Gogeta because Broly could destroy a Galaxy and Gogeta couldn't apparently.

Alright, plain and simple, this "attack potency" crap is a horrendously inaccurate practice that ends up giving you the aforementioned conclusions. Cell lost to SSJ2 Gohan who had trained in the ROSAT, and is superior to his father in equivalent forms, and Broly lost to SSJ Goku and then a shitty rusty Gohan, and Goten.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:19 pm

PFM18 wrote: Well, maybe you haven't watched Seth the Programmer's video on the matter, but if you go down the rabbit hole of using astronomy/physics and pretending that they are completely different in scaling than the normal continuity, then you end up with conclusions like Broly>Gogeta because Broly could destroy a Galaxy and Gogeta couldn't apparently.

Alright, plain and simple, this "attack potency" crap is a horrendously inaccurate practice that ends up giving you the aforementioned conclusions. Cell lost to SSJ2 Gohan who had trained in the ROSAT, and is superior to his father in equivalent forms, and Broly lost to SSJ Goku and then a shitty rusty Gohan, and Goten.
No i didn't watch Seththeprogrammer, i actually disagree with him a lot.

You can't compare Broli from the movie timeline and characters from the canon continuity if you use reasoning as "he got defeated by this form" or characters from different continuities in general. Powerscaling is a way to compare different continuities in their strengths through feats and statements.

If Broli existed in the canon timeline then you can make that argument that he got defeated by SS1. but he doesn't and he showed radically different power. Also lets say you ignore this Broli thing, Turles and Goku are evidence enough that the movie characters are way powerful than their canon counterparts through clear powerlevels, again 300k for Goku KKx10 before the namek arc.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:06 am

It's not really a things that grind my gears. But that's saddened me when I do two seemingly interesting post discussion and nobody seems interested to talk about those. :cry:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:13 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:Ithat's saddened me when I do two seemingly interesting post discussion and nobody seems interested to talk about those. :cry:
People want to waste time discussing canonicity in a franchise that does not have and nitpick about animation these days. Either you do the same or you will find yourself in the same position as me, I can't actually have a nice conversation because no one seem to care about other things.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~