Why does everyone love Broly and Cooler?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Why does everyone love Broly and Cooler?

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:38 pm

I've seen both the Cooler movies and while I don't hate Cooler I think he's a rip off of Frieza who doesn't have any powers or moves that make him interesting. I just finished the 1st Broly movie and I thought it was the worst DB franchise movie since "Path to Power" because I was so hyped up on Broly because everyone loves him and I felt really let down because he's a bland character with no personality and I just expected so much more. I've never seen a Dragon Ball related movie that I would legitimately consider good but if I had to pick I'd pick DB Movie 1 and DBZ movies 1 and 2. Also, the insert songs in said Broly and Cooler movies were OK but extremely unfitting and detracted from Shunsuke Kikuchi-sensei and his wonderful work. The extra English tracks were some of the most putridly bad tracks I've ever heard. So all in all I think the awful music might have ruined the movies for me but I don't think I would've much enjoyed them anyway.
So, big picture: Why do fans love Broly and Cooler and think they're so strong? I just want to know, and I'm assuming I'll probably get loads of hate on this post for hating on Broly but I really don't care because I just want answers.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Why does everyone love Broly and Cooler?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:43 pm

I feel like I've come across a thread like this in the past, so I''l just rephrase my answer in that thread for this one:

In the case of Broly, many fans of Dragon Ball, usually casual fans, are easily hooked by characters who's personality or concept are skin deep at best. When fans of Broly see him mindless fighting people and destroying shit, while either yelling, grunting or screaming "Kakarot", which is pretty much his entire personality, and as I said is very superficial in regards to his character, that is what a lot of fanbase love about him. They love that his character is the superficial, shallow, one dimensional "wreck shit, while yelling and grunting". Because in their minds, that is what epitomises Dragon Ball. They dig that superficial shit.

Broly's immense popularity in the western fanbase also stem him getting more exposure through being in three movies and being shoehorned into damn near every Dragon Ball game under the sun since mid 90s, despite being a movie character. Not to mention how much his power is wanked in some of the video games he appear. Plus, Vic Mignogna was an awesome VA for Broly. And provided that menacing baritone voice just really fit the character for who he was.

To be honest, I think nostalgia also plays a huge part in why Broly is so popular. Many of the kids, teens and even adults who were into Dragon Ball Z during its heyday, just dig the basic premise of Broly because he was basically a streamlined amalgamation of everything that many fans at that time mainly tuned in to see in Dragon Ball Z: Muscular men with weird hear styles, randomly beating the shit of people while screaming at the top of their lungs. It may not be fancy or sophisticated in the slightest, but that was what entertained them and they got in spade with Broly. And of the more they saw of it, they more they grow attached to it. If you were do a poll for fans to ask Dragon Ball fans who there favourite antagonist in the entire franchise was, I'm almost certain that Broly would make into the top 5.

Cooler's case is somewhat identical to that of Broly, but I've never really seen him as popular as Broly is. Most of Cooler's popularity stems from the fact he is Freeza's "brother". And the love that the fanbase had for Freeza's character carried over in some ways to Cooler.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:56 pm

I like Cooler because of his design, voice, and a personality that really fits him being Frieza's older brother. The fights were good, his minions for the brief screen time they had held potential, and his rather royal and disgustingly 'refined' mannerisms. Oh, and fuck the 6th movie.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:11 pm

Coola has a cool 5th form and fans love how powerful the transformation it is. Looking back on Coola, he is not that great. The dub did improve on his character by giving him more personality compare to the Japanese version.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:20 am

Cooler's designs in both of his movies and how he is seemingly One-upping Freeza in a "anything you can do, I can do better" in a lot of categories. Personally, if he came back as Platinum Cooler it would not be surprising. I always felt he was the more dangerous of the two brothers on just how he went about doing things, like the willingness to experiment (to find ways to better himself and this lead to him reaching his Super Evolution form) while Freeza rested on his laurels (it was not until Resurrection of F that he decided to give training a try). He also seemed to be respected by his minions, then feared outright like Freeza's henchmen were. Cooler also comes off as more charismatic, with Freeza acting like a despot and Cooler acting like a commander. English dub wise, Andrew Chandler did a very good job in portraying Cooler in giving off the "gloves are off" feeling. As for Japan, Cooler was popular enough to get two movies, as opposed to his predecessors, so that has to count for something.

As for Broly, the whole "unstoppable monster" treatment speaks for itself and movie 8 portrayed it well enough that now whenever Broly appears in games, the creators seem to give him more power than the movies ever did (LSS3, Golden Oozaru, SS4, etc.). Each time this happens, the whole "How are they going to stop him NOW?!" question comes up and generates some buzz.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:36 am

I like Cooler because his dub voice is awesome and his 5th form design is really cool.
Plus it gives us more insight to Freeza as a character with his family and how Cooler hates him. lol

Broly though? Meh. He's alright for a movie villain. M8 was really good imho but as mentioned in the other thread and here, he's extremely bland and still overrated

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:49 pm

I won't mind Broli if they kept him dead after DBZ Movie 8. I always feel like that he should have hated Vegeta and not Goku since his father try to kill him as a baby.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Because Coola is like Freeza, and Freeza's cool. (Also even though I try not rag on the dub, is anyone else annoyed that the called them Frieza and Cooler and not Frieza and Coola or Freezer and Cooler ?).
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:40 pm

I love neither. Coola has Nakao's voice cause of that I don't hate him cause I thought Nakao was awesome as he always is in every role that he does. But the character itself is meh nothing interesting.

As for Broli Lord Beerus said everything I wanted to say. I would just like to add that the Broli trilogy is the only thing in DB that I have only watched once and never bothered to watch it again and probably never will cause I can't stand it.

- Travis

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:09 pm

These characters actually represent excellent departures from what we have typically seen of their races. Broly is an evil overpowered SSJ. He's not meant to represent a deep character but a representation of the raw force of power of the Saiyan race. When the Saiyans fought Broly, they weren't fighting a person but the legacy of the Saiyan race itself.

Cooler gets points for NOT being an overly arrogant man child but a decent and respectable and refined character. Think Cell but in a Frieza body. They are fun characters, that does mean they need to be deep or meaningful.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:02 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I won't mind Broli if they kept him dead after DBZ Movie 8. I always feel like that he should have hated Vegeta and not Goku since his father try to kill him as a baby.
He was a baby and we are not even led to believe it was the king who plunged the knife into his chest, but might as well have been some random Saiyan.

Really it makes sense, that while Paragus is obsessed with getting back at Vegeta, Broly would have his sights set on something else, the real threat; Kakarot.

As for Broly, I think he's pretty cool, but mostly in his first movie, he's basically a parody in his second movie and beyond parody in his third. In his debut appearance we actually have him converse normally, but it's really first when he breaks free of his restraints, that he really starts talking, which makes good sense.

The movie could have explained things better, but the subtlety works well for people to draw different conclusions, though I cringe, whenever someone's biggest complaint is the fact, Broly hating Goku, because he made him cry as a baby.
You'd think a children's movie would actually explain why the fuck things are as they are, but sadly that's not the case here and so people can keep on trolling what was otherwise a great movie, one of the more well-thought with potential depth unrivalled in the original theatrical releases.
Also I liked playing as Broly in DBZ Budokai 3, it was cool to take a break from saving the world to beating up the heroes and then fly around DB Earth to Broly's evil soundtrack "Flight in the dark sky" or something like that.

That's a lot about Broly, but I don't have anything to say about Coola currently.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:59 am

I like Broly. He defines what most wannabe tough pricks "attempt" & fail at accomplishing even 10% of Broly has done

Cooler is yeah! Cell in a Frieza body. Marginally better than Frieza for not being a cry-baby

Thing is, both characters are supposed to be evil baddies with 30-40mins screen time. You cannot expect Oscar worthy depth in their characters

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:36 am

Lord Beerus wrote: In the case of Broly, many fans of Dragon Ball, usually casual fans, are easily hooked by characters who's personality or concept are skin deep at best. When fans of Broly see him mindless fighting people and destroying shit, while either yelling, grunting or screaming "Kakarot", which is pretty much his entire personality, and as I said is very superficial in regards to his character, that is what a lot of fanbase love about him. They love that his character is the superficial, shallow, one dimensional "wreck shit, while yelling and grunting". Because in their minds, that is what epitomises Dragon Ball. They dig that superficial shit.
Ok gonna stop ya right there cause this feels like that usual thing of "Focus on movie 10 Broly cause its easy to tear him down that way." but Broly in movie 8 was a bit more then just mindless yelling, he taunted people, and he was very sadistic in movie 8 (Destroying the homeworld of the little alien dudes anyone? [Or when he kills his own father with a big fat grin on his face?]) while yes in movie 10 he was very much a shallow character, he had more personality then people give him in movie 8 and I am getting rather tired of seeing that ignored. It'd be like me basing my whole opinion on Beerus on 1 minute of footage of him and its the worst minute of Beerus footage that shows everything the character isn't. That wouldn't be very fair to the character now would it?

I think what makes Broly so popular is the fact movie 8 was so different from the rest. Tone, plot, the villain, they were so...not dragon ball. Broly became popular cause he was so out of the norm, he wasn't some refined villain who sounds like he should be wearing a suit, he was a sadistic, no nonsense, powerhouse with a supreme axe to grind and a transformation that at the time was pretty kickass. That's why I think the big guy is pretty popular still.

Sorry if this all comes off rambly or delirious, writing it at like 6AM and I've been awake for like...10 minutes.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Does it matter ? If they like the character then let it be

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:27 pm

People love Coola?

I don't have enormous fondness for either, but I think Brolli's a lot more interesting and carves out a better niche as a villain. Coola is generic movie villain #5, even with his slightly greater connection to the series' lore.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:25 pm

I never realised Cooler was loved. I thought the only villain besides Broly that fans seem to love is Janemba's second form.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:27 am

Cipher wrote:People love Coola?

I don't have enormous fondness for either, but I think Brolli's a lot more interesting and carves out a better niche as a villain. Coola is generic movie villain #5, even with his slightly greater connection to the series' lore.
Krillin1994 wrote:I never realised Cooler was loved. I thought the only villain besides Broly that fans seem to love is Janemba's second form.
Where were you guys 12 years ago? If you noticed since Legacy of Goku II and Budokai 3, Cooler has been used as much as Broly has in Dragon Ball Media. I think the top 3 used movie characters in other media are Broly, Cooler, and Janemba.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:41 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Where were you guys 12 years ago? If you noticed since Legacy of Goku II and Budokai 3, Cooler has been used as much as Broly has in Dragon Ball Media. I think the top 3 used movie characters in other media are Broly, Cooler, and Janemba.
I figured he was in those games because he was brand-spankin' new in the U.S. at the time.

I know he's one of the more popular movie villains, but he isn't exactly competing against a lot of Mr. Personalities.

He's an easy choice for movie villains in other media. I meant I don't see a lot of people saying, "Man, you know who's one of my favorite characters? Coola."

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Cipher wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:Where were you guys 12 years ago? If you noticed since Legacy of Goku II and Budokai 3, Cooler has been used as much as Broly has in Dragon Ball Media. I think the top 3 used movie characters in other media are Broly, Cooler, and Janemba.

He's an easy choice for movie villains in other media. I meant I don't see a lot of people saying, "Man, you know who's one of my favorite characters? Coola."
Then my indoctrination plans are not working...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Broly's immense popularity in the western fanbase also stem him getting more exposure through being in three movies and being shoehorned into damn near every Dragon Ball game under the sun since mid 90s, despite being a movie character. Not to mention how much his power is wanked in some of the video games he appear. Plus, Vic Mignogna was an awesome VA for Broly. And provided that menacing baritone voice just really fit the character for who he was.
tbh Broly's dub reflects the general ignorance of the original audio at the time. Vic's sort of voice is NOT the kind of voice he was given in Japan, by the directors.

IMO he would've been a better pick for Vegeta, honestly.