Emperor Pilaf Saga or Saga Of Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jduddy264

Emperor Pilaf Saga or Saga Of Goku?

Post by jduddy264 » Sat May 27, 2006 2:17 pm

Which is the proper title? The uncut box from Austrailia have 'Saga of Goku' on it. So which is it...really?

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat May 27, 2006 2:27 pm

From what I know, The Emperor Pilaf Saga hasn't been used for any official releases. I'm guessing that "Saga of Goku" was kept because that was the title given to the original release in the US.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Sat May 27, 2006 6:48 pm

The only place where I that saga named Emperor Pilaf Saga was on Dragon Ball's Official Website.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:55 pm

It's Saga of Goku. The official website also called the second saga the "First World Martial Arts Championship", when It's actually just simply called the Tournament Saga. I'm going by Funimation's Dragonball saga sets and the Saga of Goku that has already been released with the Pioneer voices.

The official Funimation websites make allot of mistakes. The actual content of the anime should be taken as final.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Sat May 27, 2006 9:40 pm

Hero 004 wrote:It's Saga of Goku. The official website also called the second saga the "First World Martial Arts Championship", when It's actually just simply called the Tournament Saga. I'm going by Funimation's Dragonball saga sets and the Saga of Goku that has already been released with the Pioneer voices.

The official Funimation websites make allot of mistakes. The actual content of the anime should be taken as final.
The first "saga" was done by FUNimation, not Pioneer. They sub-licensed to Kidmark for the home video market, and that's it. Pioneer also got the same deal later on, so in reality there are no "Pioneer" voices, since that was just a different studio that Funi used for the first two seasons of DBZ.
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat May 27, 2006 9:42 pm

Saga of Goku makes more sense with the manga since Pilaf is barely there at all.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Sat May 27, 2006 10:17 pm

I appreciate you taking the time to correct my termonoly, Kaze no Mune, but I was just reffering to them as the Pioneer voices because they were the voices used when Pioneer released them on video. To be honest it was just something I got used to, before I got the run down from the podcast. :)

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sat May 27, 2006 11:06 pm

Pioneer didn't release it on video.

It was Kidmark.
Where's the beef?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat May 27, 2006 11:38 pm

Personally, I find the title "Dragon Ball Saga" fits waaaay more than either. :P

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Sun May 28, 2006 12:15 am

El_Diablo wrote:Pioneer didn't release it on video.

It was Kidmark.
I was under the impression that the Saga of Goku was released the same as the Saiyan saga. He ment that Kid Mark got it first and Pioneer recieved it later for the Saiyan saga. I did not read his post clearly.

Alucard
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Alucard » Sun May 28, 2006 2:06 am

The Japanese official title is "Son Goku Saga", but I think that the new DVD will have "General Pilaf Saga" on it.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sun May 28, 2006 2:30 am

Alucard wrote:The Japanese official title is "Son Goku Saga", but I think that the new DVD will have "General Pilaf Saga" on it.
Proof from where?

Also, why wouldn't it be Saga of Goku? The R4, excluding the movie, is essentially a carbon copy of what the R1 release will/would/could be. And Pilaf is never a general, right?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun May 28, 2006 2:46 am

Tsukento wrote:Personally, I find the title "Dragon Ball Saga" fits waaaay more than either. :P
Definately.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Sun May 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Tsukento wrote:Personally, I find the title "Dragon Ball Saga" fits waaaay more than either. :P
*nod*

I always find that's the best thing to call it, since there aren't any big villians at that point in the series.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Sun May 28, 2006 5:26 pm

I believe that calling it the Pilaf saga is like calling it the Rabbit saga.

...Yeah.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 am

In that case, it's like I said. Dragon Ball Saga's more fitting since that's the main point of the first thirteen episodes; finding the Dragon Balls.

That and Pilaf wasn't much of anything until the final episodes of that "saga" due to everything involving him and the crew was simply filler. :P If you're gonna call it the Pilaf Saga, might as well call it the Yamcha, Ox-King, Rabbit Gang and Pilaf Saga. :P

Ricochet0082
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ricochet0082 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:48 am

"Coming Soon - Dragon Ball: Dragon Ball Saga!"

That doesn't sound quite as nice as Dragon Ball: Emperor Pilaf Saga. The last four episodes of the first 13 episodes include Pilaf and his gang. Only one was filler, the one involving the large pin ball game. I think Pilaf is a fitting title for the saga because a majority of the saga names are named after villians in the series.
"Somebody call Guinness. I'm about to go from zero to drunk in twenty dollars." - DIVX

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon May 29, 2006 8:33 pm

Doesn't mean squat. All those other sagas had a good chunk of something to do with them. Four out of thirteen is absolutely nothing.

Dragon Ball Saga makes more sense because it is about finding the Dragon Balls. Let us not forget, Tournament Saga wasn't named Jackie Chun Saga for a very good reason. It wasn't about Jackie Chun. ;)

The first thirteen episodes of Dragon Ball isn't about Pilaf. It's about finding the Dragon Balls.

Ricochet0082
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ricochet0082 » Mon May 29, 2006 8:59 pm

The whole series is about finding the Dragon Balls.

What about the entire Red Ribbon arc? Son Goku spends the entire time searching for his grandfather's Dragon Ball with the Red Ribbon Army just an annouance in his way. That's about searching for the Dragon Balls. They also spend time searching for the Balls after Roshi and friends are killed by Piccolo. It’s what stands in our heroes’ ways that warrant the saga’s title, what they are struggling against.

I don't consider Jackie Chun a villian, more of an adversary. The Tournament saga is not about him, it's about Goku learning how to improve his skills. It's a way for Goku and Kuririn to show what they have learned from Roshi.
"Somebody call Guinness. I'm about to go from zero to drunk in twenty dollars." - DIVX

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon May 29, 2006 10:41 pm

Alright guys, seriously...

Calling it the Pilaf Saga is about as exciting as calling it the Bear Thief or Boss Rabbit Saga...

I'm sticking with Dragon Ball Saga. :P
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.