Do you truly think DBZ is the best anime ever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Do you truly think DBZ is the best anime ever?

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:35 pm

I'd say the first Dragon Ball is the best anime I've watched but it's the only full anime I have watched. I'm sure there are better anime than Dragon Ball Z but I may be wrong because I don't watch many others. Still, I'd like to know if users here think DBZ is truly the best anime ever. Social media fan pages are always posting "Like if you think DBZ is the best anime ever!" and while most anime fan page admins seem to like multiple anime series, the DBZ page admins don't really seem to care about any anime other than DBZ except maybe other Shonen anime. I imagine many general fans of anime are put off by our fanbase because people seem to hate us as much as they hate Hetalians, Naruto fans, and the weeaboo portion of the anime fanbase so that might be why these general fans I've met hate DBZ with a passion. Does anyone have thoughts on this?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Bullza
Banned

Re: Do you truly think DBZ is the best anime ever?

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Well in ways yeah. I definitely think it's the most entertaining anime ever. It's got mass appeal, the characters are all good, the story is interesting without being overly complex so it can be enjoyed by any age, a lot of action, a lot of comedy, colourful show, good music etc.

It doesn't have any vital downsides to it, it doesn't get bogged down by flashbacks, there are no sob stories, it's not too Japanese, there's no filler battles where you'll have the supporting characters fight like a dozen henchmen before Goku fights the main villain because they just jump straight to it.

So I can see why a lot of people would think it was the greatest.

Critically though Death Note is the best anime ever.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:53 pm

Not for me. I love it but DBZ isn't amazing, very good still lacking to be in such a conversation. I find the manga far superior and deserving to compete for the title of best manga ever, in it's genre of course. No sense in comparing it with other types, apples and oranges.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Pure entertainment, DBZ is the best anime ever imo. Writing wise, probably not. But it's still more entertaining than better written animes
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:58 pm

Best anime ever? No, but it's very entertaining.
I think that show is entirely overrated. It's a great premise, but it's too long and there are too many leaps for me to take the characters serious who are supposed to be intelligent. It's funny. DB is long, but I have little trouble making it through this or Yu Yu Hakusho, but Death Note became a slog about halfway through.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:10 pm

ABED wrote:Best anime ever? No, but it's very entertaining.
I think that show is entirely overrated. It's a great premise, but it's too long and there are too many leaps for me to take the characters serious who are supposed to be intelligent. It's funny. DB is long, but I have little trouble making it through this or Yu Yu Hakusho, but Death Note became a slog about halfway through.
[spoiler]Death Note should have ended with L's death. Did I guess that was the moment it become a slog to you?[/spoiler]

For what it's worth Dragon Ball Z is #344 on myanimelist.net

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:17 pm

It doesn't make sense to compare it to everything cause there are a lot of different types of anime so we should compare it to its own type: long running weekly Shonen Anime.

Is it the best ? no, I think One Piece and Naruto for example have better world building and utilize their character a lot better.

Although it's not the best in its category, it's and always will be my favorite anime (The Kai version though).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:21 pm

More or less, but even then it was starting to get boring before the moment you mentioned, especially after they introduced Misa.

I don't watch much anime, but I think Yu Yu Hakusho is better. It's similar in tone, but it was able to milk the story for everything it's worth but left before it overstayed its welcome.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:31 pm

No way. I still love the franchise, but I like other anime and manga better. DBZ is a 7/10 type of anime for me. Good, but not great.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:37 pm

It is not even the best shounen manga/anime. Saying it is the best anime ever is just fans who overrate DB to very high levels or maybe those fans have only watched DB or the power of nostalgia is just too strong among them.

For me DB is good very good at times but it is no masterpiece. It's very difficult to say which is the best but if I have to pick one I would say FMA. As someone who thinks most shounen are crap FMA is an exception. It is also my favorite so maybe I am biased. Hunter X Hunter is a close 2nd.

- Travis

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:45 pm

definitely not the best, but personal best? yes, oh yes, definitely.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Dragon Ball is definitely among the best shonen series. Especially against most of the modern "friendship is magic", One Piece types.

I miss the Fist of the North Star and Yu Yu Hakusho type of shonen. Hunter x Hunter kind of got there with the last arc or so, but I prefer the overall tone of the earlier arcs in the previous anime adaptation. FMA is good too, but it's also an older series at this point.

Most shonen series these days are way more lighthearted than they tended to be back in the 80s and 90s. I feel Dragon Ball itself has reflected that as well, with Super's tone being much more lighthearted.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:01 pm

No, not even close. It's above average at best, very good in comparison to other Shonen battle series. It's still my favorite due to its sheer entertainment value and probably always will be but it has too many flaws to be considered the best.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:26 pm

I think Prince of Tennis is the best anime ever.
Last edited by Cipher on Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:53 pm

I do think the first DB series is a better written show and I see other people say the same thing too. I can see why because the first DB show did felt like there was a feel for adventure and it didn't take itself so seriously until Piccolo Daimao show up. DBZ did had a great start but things did got messy with the Android arc and got worst with the Buu saga in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I do think the first DB series is a better written show and I see other people say the same thing too. I can see why because the first DB show did felt like there was a feel for adventure and it didn't take itself so seriously until Piccolo Daimao show up. DBZ did had a great start but things did got messy with the Android arc and got worst with the Buu saga in my opinion.
Agreed, I think ending at the Freeza arc with a few minor changes would be my preferred ending.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Not the best, but one of the best.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:07 pm

It's okay. The anime is too long for its own good, the pacing alternates the full spectrum from too fast to excruciatingly slow, back-to-back episodes go from breathtakingly beautiful to ugly as sin, and Toriyama's not the best at weaving a coherent plot. I'd put FMA Brotherhood as the best Shonen, out of the one's I've seen, anyway, with, and I'm sure I'll get some raised eyebrows for this, Spice and Wolf as the most consistently excellent, in all respects, anime. That I've seen, of course.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:21 pm

No its not the best. But DBZ was the pioneer for anime shows here in the Western hemisphere.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:35 pm

I think Dinosaur King is the best anime ever.