Has your addiction to the franchise ever NEGATIVELY affected you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bagginses
Banned

Re: Has your addiction to the franchise ever NEGATIVELY affected you?

Post by Bagginses » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:25 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Ok that was rude of me, It IS an interesting thread and I do like it. I just felt the ice needed to be broken for people to relax and start opening up, Sorry Bag. I do like this thread and I didnt mean to start trouble, that's all.
No worries. I was jalf-joking with my initial reply to you as well! :lol:

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:07 am

Not in any way, shape or form that I can recall. And I AM obsessed, but it isn't a bad obsession if I'm enjoying my time.

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:37 am

nickzambuto wrote:Not in any way, shape or form that I can recall. And I AM obsessed, but it isn't a bad obsession if I'm enjoying my time.
No, but it can turn into a bad obsession if it starts to interfere your 'regular', 'normal' life that is separated from DB (i.e. the rest of your life :roll: ). An example from myself: my grades dropped in the 7th and in second year of high school (don't know how you americans call that) because most of what I would dedicate my time in the day was watching DB on DVD and discussing it on the Internet. :oops:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Other than the wider/overall fanbase killing off a valuable brain cell or two over the years and trivia dealing with all the FUNimation dub drama permanently filling up space in my memory banks with utterly useless information (by all sane rights I should have no earthly idea who in the mother of fuck people like Bruce Faulconer, Shuki Levy, Barry Watson, or Chris Sabat are, and I still wish I didn't), I can't say that there's anything pressingly negative that really springs to mind.

By and large beyond that fairly minor nonsense, Dragon Ball's tended to be one of the more positive aspects in my life in that it seems to have consistently lead to a lot of very valuable real life friendships and bridge building. And no, given my thoughts on the whole "Shonen & friendship" bullshit, that irony is not at all lost on me: I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I prefer to actually just live by the whole "friendship is good" message (since its kind of a basic given in life) than to constantly wallow in it via children's fiction.

I suppose there's also the supporting role that Dragon Ball (via the dub in its original Cartoon Network/Toonami run) has helped to play in the overall long term corroding of North American anime fandom and fan culture, but that's a much bigger and broader (not to mention very indirect) issue as opposed to something that's only specifically and singularly affected me personally.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:07 pm

Back when Super was being shite it left me hella despressed for a few weeks I couldn't touch anything DB related didn't even visit the forums much. Felt like a piece in my life was missing lol. If the U6 arc didn't go in a complete 180 I may have been turned of DB for longer.