Was Gohan's absence a big miss in the current arc?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: Was Gohan's absence a big miss in the current arc?

Post by kinisking » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:00 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
kinisking wrote:Okay, I can see your point more now. I'll try to be optimistic and hope that in the unlikely chance he does become more relevant that he does get some more shining moments though.

I don't understand why he gets so much flack for his losses but when Vegeta, Piccolo or anyone else mess up it's the writers fault. I mean what has Piccolo actually done throughout the series
With Vegeta, I get cathartic pleasure in seeing him get cocky and then have his ass kicked for it. It's what makes the boring island fights in the Android arc against Cell somewhat entertaining for me. Although given how it's everyone's fault for this situation happening, I get a kick out of all the good guys getting some much deserved karmic retribution.

Vegeta also has a fairly good arc for a lot of the show and is one of the few characters to get multiple moments of apparent change rather than one and staying static for the remainder of the series. Gohan being constantly flip-flopped from worthless shit tier to failed Goku replacement doesn't do him many favors, although, Vegeta's recent retconning into being obsessed with Goku is an issue for that character as well.

And speaking as a Piccolo fan, he doesn't do jack shit after the Namek arc. It's actually comical how the only time his character makes a more personal impact on those around him or the audience is when he dies :lol:

Zeon put it best: Piccolo is Worf. He shows up, he looks cool, does some cool shit and then fails miserably. He and all of the Earthling characters with the exception of Krillin very easily could have stayed dead and I don't think we'd have lost anything of actual substance. He really has no more moments of evolution or change, even his re-uniting with Kami is little more than a temporary boost in power more than anything else.
I like vegeta but it is pretty interesting to see his ass kicked for some reason. Although I named Vegeta, I don't think he's worthless at all. That's why I get annoyed when people blame the writers for him messing up because honestly he doesn't even do it that much. He gets a lot of attention and wins quite often.

And well at least you admit that Piccolo hasn't done much although that makes it stranger that you consider Gohan shit tier for doing the same things Piccolo does.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:17 pm

Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity. And sincewe're discussing Gohan in general, I gotta say that I like them. I relate to him the best, form the best emotional connections with his character, and he's pretty cool from time to time on top of that. I don't really think hard, long, and analyze flaws like I do Goku because I don't see them as that big. Yeah, he's messed up, but I see them as mess ups that I can relate to. It's weird. Anyways, he's my favorite character and I wish he was in this arc..

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:24 pm

kinisking wrote:I like vegeta but it is pretty interesting to see his ass kicked for some reason. Although I named Vegeta, I don't think he's worthless at all. That's why I get annoyed when people blame the writers for him messing up because honestly he doesn't even do it that much. He gets a lot of attention and wins quite often.

And well at least you admit that Piccolo hasn't done much although that makes it stranger that you consider Gohan shit tier for doing the same things Piccolo does.
Vegeta and to a far lesser extent, Piccolo both kind of get away with a lot of crap because they managed to strike a cord with me at one point or another. Even with a lot of bad things Vegeta does, there's still a great many moments like him apologizing to Gohan, sacrificing himself for his family sake and tossing his pride aside stick out as great moments. Piccolo's sacrifice also stands out as a great moment for him and it would for Gohan.... If he didn't do it for his usual "Grrr! I'm angry now!" shtick that's basically half his character in a nutshell. Even Vegeta's doesn't bother me as much since Vegeta treated Trunks like shit and was a total bastard up until that point, him losing his shit not over his wounded pride but for his kid dying was basically the first step in his development.

Nothing Gohan's ever done has really done the same for me, that one moment where I can say "Yeah, I can get behind this guy." The closest thing the series has come to that is actually applying Gohan's better education and saner mindset in contrast to everyone else at the Cell Games but the franchise never does anything with it. His moment of genre savviness is completely overshadowed by more "Grrr! I'm angry now!" shit and Super's attempt at it was undercut just to show the other of Gohan's two sides: failed Goku replacement.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
kinisking wrote:I like vegeta but it is pretty interesting to see his ass kicked for some reason. Although I named Vegeta, I don't think he's worthless at all. That's why I get annoyed when people blame the writers for him messing up because honestly he doesn't even do it that much. He gets a lot of attention and wins quite often.

Vegeta and to a far lesser extent, Piccolo both kind of get away with a lot of crap because they managed to strike a cord with me at one point or another. Even with a lot of bad things Vegeta does, there's still a great many moments like him apologizing to Gohan, sacrificing himself for his family sake and tossing his pride aside stick out as great moments. Piccolo's sacrifice also stands out as a great moment for him and it would for Gohan.... If he didn't do it for his usual "Grrr! I'm angry now!" shtick that's basically half his character in a nutshell. Even Vegeta's doesn't bother me as much since Vegeta treated Trunks like shit and was a total bastard up until that point, him losing his shit not over his wounded pride but for his kid dying was basically the first step in his development.

Nothing Gohan's ever done has really done the same for me, that one moment where I can say "Yeah, I can get behind this guy." The closest thing the series has come to that is actually applying Gohan's better education and saner mindset in contrast to everyone else at the Cell Games but the franchise never does anything with it. His moment of genre savviness is completely overshadowed by more "Grrr! I'm angry now!" shit and Super's attempt at it was undercut just to show the other of Gohan's two sides: failed Goku replacement.
Okay, I can get behind that. I thought you just didn't like him because of his failures which didn't make sense to me. I can completely understand if it's because you just never found an interesting moment with him.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:58 pm

The time machine is a throwback to Gohan's big moment, so there is wasted potential in that sense. Though, I think for Gohan to be relevant he'd have to actually have something at stake in the arc. His role in RoF made sense because he's protecting his family and Earth. But fighting Zamasu in some alternate future? That'd be a stretch for Gohan's character.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:19 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity. And sincewe're discussing Gohan in general, I gotta say that I like them. I relate to him the best, form the best emotional connections with his character, and he's pretty cool from time to time on top of that. I don't really think hard, long, and analyze flaws like I do Goku because I don't see them as that big. Yeah, he's messed up, but I see them as mess ups that I can relate to. It's weird. Anyways, he's my favorite character and I wish he was in this arc..
Same. Well he's not my favirote charcter, I still like the guy. But I can see why some don't.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:44 pm

LuckyCat wrote:But fighting Zamasu in some alternate future? That'd be a stretch for Gohan's character.
Why? He was clearly unsatisfied by knowing Future Trunks situation though they met before and he didn't say anything to him. Gohan never would decline to help his friends when it's needed.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Noah wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:But fighting Zamasu in some alternate future? That'd be a stretch for Gohan's character.
Why? He was clearly unsatisfied by knowing Future Trunks situation though they met before and he didn't say anything to him. Gohan never would decline to help his friends when it's needed.
Unsatisfied, but also unmoved. He's got too much interest in his own timeline at the moment with his newborn to be going off in some future adventure where he could be killed. That type of outing is better-suited to the pure-blooded Saiyans who love to fight.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:04 pm

LuckyCat wrote:Unsatisfied, but also unmoved. He's got too much interest in his own timeline at the moment to be going off in some future adventure where he could be killed. That type of outing is better-suited to the pure-blooded Saiyans who love to fight.
Unmoved cause his power wouldn't help in anything, you could say the same about Piccolo not suggesting himself to go and use the Mafuba on Zamasu. If Gohan had knew earlier about Trunks, he would make himself available to help his friend
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:13 pm

Actually you bring up another good question, are Future Trunks and Gohan really friends? They didn't have much interaction in the main timeline.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:10 pm

LuckyCat wrote: Unsatisfied, but also unmoved.
All it would've taken was one look at the suffering being caused in Trunks' timeline. That would've been more than enough to spur Gohan on to fight. Gohan's always been the type of character who hates seeing innocent people being killed, he practically lost his mind on Namek after witnessing Freeza's men slaughter people. Aside from maybe Goku and Trunks, none of the other fighters typically display the same level of compassion for civilians.

I mentioned this before but they could've also stuck a Future version of Videl in there, possibly in a similar role that Mai had. I think it would've more interesting to see Gohan interact with her since she most likely never would've met him (or Future Gohan) before. I would've preferred to see that over what we got with Mai and Trunks, I thought the way that played out felt kinda forced.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:07 pm

LuckyCat wrote:Are Future Trunks and Gohan really friends? They didn't have much interaction in the main timeline.
Well, I think so. They are not close friends, but they did have some interaction investigating the second time machine and after Gohan leaves the RoSaT. My point is that Future Trunks is pretty close to Gohan from his timeline, that is around the same age present Gohan, and this arc with Gohan playing a active role could build this same bond.
NitroEX wrote:I think it would've more interesting to see Gohan interact with her since she most likely never would've met him (or Future Gohan) before. I would've preferred to see that over what we got with Mai and Trunks, I thought the way that played out felt kinda forced.
I don't get it, you mean that you would like present Gohan to interact with a future version of Videl in a romantic way? :eh:

Anyway I do agree with the Mai part, never liked how Pilaf Gang was reintroduced to the main series and how out of nowhere is this TrunksxMai thing, I really would like to be a new female character to be Trunks pair instead of her.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

SSJ6Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ6Goku » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:23 pm

no. its clear he's never coming back to the badass way he was in cell or even the buu saga

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Noah wrote: I don't get it, you mean that you would like present Gohan to interact with a future version of Videl in a romantic way?
No, it doesn't necessarily have to be romantic, after all that would technically be cheating on his spouse (then there's also the age difference). I guess it would really depend on what the end goal of the story would be in that hypothetical version and if Gohan's allowed to grow as a character by the end of the arc or remain stagnant. Her role in that timeline would also affect things quite a bit.

The main point to it is that he obviously cares about Videl in his own time and thus would be motivated to protect her and find out more about her. Naturally she wouldn't know who he is so I'd imagine she wouldn't care about him, that in itself could have had potential for interesting moments between the two. Plus it would've been nice to have Videl doing something.

I suppose if he witnessed her die that would be pretty impactful. Even though it isn't his Videl it would no doubt still make him pretty angry. I suppose something like that could have been used to unlocked new power or just motivate him to try harder in his own timeline.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:55 pm

SSJ6Goku wrote:no. its clear he's never coming back to the badass way he was in cell or even the buu saga
That's why should switch him with Future Gohan

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:39 pm

Gohan will star in an arc of Super just like Trunks did, you all know it too.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:40 am

precita wrote:Gohan will star in an arc of Super just like Trunks did, you all know it too.
How are you so sure?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:43 am

I foresee a Gohan arc as well: the conference arc, in which Gohan feels the pressure of having to prepare a presentation, take care of Pan, and plan a gift for his anniversary with Videl at the same time. How will he do it? Find out next time...on Dragon Ball Super!
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:04 am

Noah wrote:
precita wrote:Gohan will star in an arc of Super just like Trunks did, you all know it too.
How are you so sure?
It will happen eventually. They'll want to keep marketing new Super Saiyan forms, that's probably the only reason Vegito even got a return.

Gohan is going to go Super Saiyan Blue eventually, or have some sort of unique transformation similar to the Buu saga or like Trunks new form. Mark my words.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:00 am

precita wrote:Gohan is going to go Super Saiyan Blue eventually, or have some sort of unique transformation similar to the Buu saga or like Trunks new form. Mark my words.
You know, expecting stuff like that to be a certainty is why people got so upset over Episode 52.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix