Was Gohan's absence a big miss in the current arc?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Was Gohan's absence a big miss in the current arc?

Post by precita » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:03 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:
precita wrote:Gohan is going to go Super Saiyan Blue eventually, or have some sort of unique transformation similar to the Buu saga or like Trunks new form. Mark my words.
You know, expecting stuff like that to be a certainty is why people got so upset over Episode 52.
This was Trunks arc. Anyone expecting Gohan to jump in was kidding themselves.

They'll be an arc centered around Gohan, or Pan, and they'll get some spotlight.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Never thought i would say it, but I miss Gohan fighting :(

Hopefully there is something that makes him train again, but I think they have missed their opportunity in which Gohan could have helped Future Trunks.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:44 pm

Gohan will be powered up the same way Future Trunks was. I'm sure of it.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:29 am

Gohan fans just need to stop beating that dead horse and accept how his character is. He's not his father and never wanted to be a fighter; he was just forced into that role at times. Just let him be.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:34 am

Son Gara wrote:Gohan fans just need to stop beating that dead horse and accept how his character is. He's not his father and never wanted to be a fighter; he was just forced into that role at times. Just let him be.
Please understand Gohan fans are Gohan fans because Gohan is awesome and his place is not where ChiChi think it is lol

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:24 am

This would only be a miss if Gohan was set and build up to be an important player in the arc, since none of that happened, his absence in the arc was not a miss.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:25 am

Oh yeah, in this arc in particular he was not missed as it was Trunks arc lol
but he is missed in Super in general, at least to me

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:19 am

I think this final scene say it all
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:36 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
precita wrote:Gohan has a great character, backstory, role, etc. Its nice to also have a Saiyan not as one track minded as Goku and Vegeta
Gohan's role is basically "Grrr! I'm angry *does something cool that doesn't do crap by the end*". His deviation from his dad and Vegeta is also constantly treated/used to make him look like a joke and a moron, because if you're not a fighting junkie, you're worthless shit tier.

The only Gohan who's actually interesting is the one to ask Cell to stop this and how its kind of fucked up to get off on beating the crap out of somebody else. If Toriyama followed through with this, you would have a multifaceted Gohan. One who relaxes and reads in his down time isn't afraid to fight when necessary but since he's gotten genre savvy, you can have him reason with an enemy to stop the fight before it can begin or make him a more pragmatic character who just ends things before they escalate. That last one would have been particularly good after Goku died because he dicked around too much. Nothing comes of this though, leaving Gohan in his usual worthless shit tier character position.
Well though I like Gohan for his internal struggle with pacifism, but I agree that Gohan is useless to the story. Though his inability to accomplish anything was still foreshadowed as his weakness. He has never killed an opponent himself in a streamlined fight on his own, hes always just been a wall or a diversion. But even if Gohan was the mediating guy who fought as a last resort, the way this series is, it would get repetitive as all hell if it would be that predictable to where he would avoid the fight but then change his mind when he's forced to. He'd just be an huge doormat. In this series, you either fight or you dont and there is no room for in between. So I couldn't see anyway to bring Gohan back with a personality like his outside his own arc and I think Toriyama knew this. The closest to this we get was Bojack unbound (where that above mentioned formula would get repetitive) and Broly Second Coming, where he would get his prolonged beat down until something helps him out. While that wouldn't be a problem for me, (as at least a strong defense is his best compromise for his offense) people would still see him as fodder. He just couldn't ever lead his own arc without going into a full circle.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:31 am

[spoiler]I just find it hilarious that Gohan was so out of breath from just flying to Capsule Corp. to say goodbye to Trunks. Really, did even flying take that much out of you? I didn't see Piccolo wheezing from the trip.[/spoiler]
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:30 am

I don't have a problem with the direction they've taken with Gohan.

I mean lets face it, Goku isn't a good role model. Gohan spent most of his childhood with his father either absent or placing him in life-threatening situations with high stakes. He got beaten to a pulp countless times, watched his father beaten to a pulp numerous times, witnessed friends die, witnessed his father die and had the fate of the world on his shoulders at a young age based on the fact that his father, who showed no real insight into his son's personality, 'knew he could do it'.
Heck, even Vegeta is a better father figure than Goku! Goku cares about fighting first - his family are usually an afterthought. At least Vegeta occasionally shows that he gives a toss about his family! Vegeta for gods sake!

Combine those factors with the fact that (as Piccolo once said) he never really had Goku's fighting spirt and it's little wonder that he's determined to be a better father to his child than his own father was to him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Gohan spent most of his childhood with his father either absent or placing him in life-threatening situations with high stakes.
I don't think that's a fair assessment. Goku was there for Gohan for the first few 4 years of his life, was absent for a year because he gave up his life to save Gohan, was gone for a year after Namek because he was on another planet learning a very important and valuable technique, spent the next 3 years with him every day, and Gohan was put in danger by virtue of being the strongest. Goku didn't make him fight Cell against his will. Goku was there for Gohan more than you think.
had the fate of the world on his shoulders at a young age based on the fact that his father, who showed no real insight into his son's personality, 'knew he could do it'. Heck, even Vegeta is a better father figure than Goku
He did know Gohan. You cherry pick Piccolo's comments and disregard that Goku had said not a few episodes earlier that if Gohan wants to become a scholar, he first has to defeat Cell. He knows his son. And not only did he know Gohan could do it, not an exaggeration by the way, Gohan did do it because he was the ONLY one who could. As for Vegeta, he's an awful father. He never even hugged his son once until he was EIGHT YEARS OLD! When his infant son was almost killed by Dr. Gero, Vegeta's reaction was apathy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:08 pm

Buu and Satan did not make an appearance at all. At least they showed Gohan here and there.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:26 pm

Honestly not really the thing about Gohan is that he already had his story arc and it is complete. Bringing him back only for the sake of it will never feel as anything other than fan service for the sake of fan service. This is similar to how Vegeta should of have stayed dead after the Freeza arc he becomes nothing but a obstacle in the Cell and Buu arc giving me the impression that Toriyama had no idea what to do with him and only brought him back because he was popular. The only way for Gohan to work is if episodes lasted more than 20 minutes but because of this restriction there is only so much you can show and only give the spotlight to so many characters and developing plot lines during an arc. This becomes a growing problem every time there are new character introduced something Toriyama likes to do and needs to flesh them out.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:13 pm

Gohan fucking sucks. He used to be my favorite character but now he just sucks so fucking bad its like damn he sucks ass.

Netter75

Post by Netter75 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:14 pm

VDenter wrote:Honestly not really the thing about Gohan is that he already had his story arc and it is complete. Bringing him back only for the sake of it will never feel as anything other than fan service for the sake of fan service. This is similar to how Vegeta should of have stayed dead after the Freeza arc he becomes nothing but a obstacle in the Cell and Buu arc giving me the impression that Toriyama had no idea what to do with him and only brought him back because he was popular. The only way for Gohan to work is if episodes lasted more than 20 minutes but because of this restriction there is only so much you can show and only give the spotlight to so many characters and developing plot lines during an arc. This becomes a growing problem every time there are new character introduced something Toriyama likes to do and needs to flesh them out.
I never really understood this line of thinking. It's used for Piccolo and Tien a lot as well when people complain about their lack of relevancy. Gohan's initial arc may be complete, but is there any reason why the writers can't fashion a new arc for him? These characters don't have to be finished and fade away after their first arc is completed. The current cast is now so big and diverse they don't even NEED to introduce new characters at this point!

Of course if they were to do this then they should weave the character arc into the over-arching plot and not shoe-horn it in awkwardly in order to please fans.
Working on AMVs for every major Dragon Ball character from Piccolo to Puar :crazy:
Playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8PEvVt1fQW

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:35 pm

I think about last episode, this could be added too:
Chelentano wrote:A cool moment for Gohan, too bad that comes out of nowhere since they didn't care to build up to this.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:05 pm

Netter75 wrote:
VDenter wrote:Honestly not really the thing about Gohan is that he already had his story arc and it is complete. Bringing him back only for the sake of it will never feel as anything other than fan service for the sake of fan service. This is similar to how Vegeta should of have stayed dead after the Freeza arc he becomes nothing but a obstacle in the Cell and Buu arc giving me the impression that Toriyama had no idea what to do with him and only brought him back because he was popular. The only way for Gohan to work is if episodes lasted more than 20 minutes but because of this restriction there is only so much you can show and only give the spotlight to so many characters and developing plot lines during an arc. This becomes a growing problem every time there are new character introduced something Toriyama likes to do and needs to flesh them out.
I never really understood this line of thinking. It's used for Piccolo and Tien a lot as well when people complain about their lack of relevancy. Gohan's initial arc may be complete, but is there any reason why the writers can't fashion a new arc for him? These characters don't have to be finished and fade away after their first arc is completed. The current cast is now so big and diverse they don't even NEED to introduce new characters at this point!

Of course if they were to do this then they should weave the character arc into the over-arching plot and not shoe-horn it in awkwardly in order to please fans.
If they can come up with anything decent then sure. However i really doubt they can its hard to make Gohan do much that cant be accomplished by Goku or Vegeta. I mean what could he have done in this arc that might of seem essential that only he could have done and that did not feel as though the story just pretends as if he is important as it did with piccolo post the Saiyan arc.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:25 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Son Gara wrote:Gohan fans just need to stop beating that dead horse and accept how his character is. He's not his father and never wanted to be a fighter; he was just forced into that role at times. Just let him be.
Please understand Gohan fans are Gohan fans because Gohan is awesome and his place is not where ChiChi think it is lol
But is his place where his "Fans" want him to be? He could have trained if he wanted to, he doesnt want to.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Chelentano » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:51 am

I don't get this people that are always saying things like "he is a scholar now", "he doesn't care for training", "forget Gohan already". Those things are true, but it's not like this is an immovable situation. His future it's not written in stone. When you are writing a story there are no things that you can't change. There's no thing like a character wasted or imposible to bring back into the first row. They even resurrect in this world, so not even death it's an ultimate destiny. My point is, if they want Gohan's return, they just have to write a good plot. A good plot enables Krillin or Piccolo to be useful even if they can't phisically fight a menace. This has been done before.

So if you don't like Gohan or you just don't want to see him again for whatever reason, just say it. But don't say that it's impossible or say others to forget about it.
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)