Strange GT dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:56 pm

All the voice actors are different from their "Ocean Group" counterparts.
Where's the beef?

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:47 am

Blue Water dub > FUNimation dub anyway.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:12 pm

t0ffe3m4n wrote:Blue Water dub > FUNimation dub anyway.
That's definitely not entriely accurate. Kirby Morrow was utter crap as Goku and Maggie Blue O'Hara completely butchered Buruma. Could someone *please* tell that girl to get more voices other than "teenage Valley Girl"? I remember the one that did Mirai Trunks was so flat he could have slipped under doorways. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd hear worse voices in DB than ones I heard from Funi. The return of McNeil and Drummond just wasn't worth destroying Goku's voice and character so utterly. :cry:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:23 pm

I don't understand why so many people have problems with Kirby Kirby Morrow as Goku. I think he fits the character and he also made the other things (screams, acting etc.) good enough. Sure, Peter Kelamis was far better (in my opinion the best English-speaking Goku), but Kirby Morrow was at least better than Sean Schemmel (who is also a good Goku for me). I think Ian Corlett was the "worst" of all. He wasn't really bad, but his voice reminded me too much of an average super hero.
Well, at least they were all better than this He-Goku in the "Big Green Dub" :lol:

And btw., Blue Water only did DBGT and DB. So Kirby Morrow wasn't there, right? ;) (and I don't like the Blue Water DBGT dub. I think FUNi has at least the better VAs, althought some of them didn't fit the characters at all, but the pure acting is good) .

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:43 pm

I've never heard Kirby Morrow as Goku, except in episode 1 of DBGT (this I posted in this topic.) I don't really like the sound - it's kinda blah, but then I haven't heard him in more dramatic scenes. He doesn't seem the dramatic type, though. :(

Oh, and saying Peter Kelamis is better as Goku than Ian Corlett? ... :?

I like Sean Schemmel's screams. :D
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:08 pm

I never really liked the blue water dub. It's not horrible, but it's not that great either. I prefer Funimation's dub over any other dub, but the original Japanese version still sounds the best to me.

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:27 pm

That isn't Kirby Morrow in the GT dub.
Where's the beef?

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:30 am

El_Diablo wrote:That isn't Kirby Morrow in the GT dub.
Oh, well whoever it is: I don't like him. He sounds boring. So does Uub. Dende is cute, though. :D

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:40 am

Timo wrote: And btw., Blue Water only did DBGT and DB. So Kirby Morrow wasn't there, right? ;)
Ummmm, Kirby Morrow started voicing Goku towards the end of the Cell Games saga and all through the Buu saga, so I don't know where you got that idea. :? And Morrow couldn't have made the screams "good enough" because he didn't even actually ever scream in my opinion. His "screams" were basically him just raising his voice. Seriously, go back and really listen to the man play the role......he's incapable of screaming. Also he came off as way too serious to be Goku.

While I'm the type that usually says "everyone is entitled to their opinion", hearing you say that Corlett was the worst Goku out of them all, really makes me wonder about your hearing abilities.>> I mean, you get turned off by what you see as him playing the role as too "generic superhero" but you think Kelamis making Goku sound like a "Canadian surfer" is great? :?

Majin Cell
Not-So-Newbie
Location: I don't know where this place is but it sure is wierd.

Post by Majin Cell » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:26 am

I must say i didn't care much for those dub voices. I'm not saying their horrible but it's just that i prefer the Funimation ones instead. Although i will say that thier intro song is far better than the rap one Funimations dub has. My favorite dub voice for Goku would have to be Sean Schemmel. I think he does great screams.
It is impossible to improve upon perfection.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:40 am

I know this is getting the topic... well... off-topic, but I always just stare at the screen wide-eyed and jaw open when I see people complementing Schemmel's screams, and saying that Corlett was awful.

Schemmel doing anything *other* than simply talking naturally completely destroys the character voice for me. I find his upset/attacking/fighting voice irritating, forced, flat, etc. Peaking and cracking your voice really, really, really loudly does *not* equal "good screaming".

On the flip-side, when he's simply being the dummy-head normal Goku, I find his voice absolutely astoundingly phenomenal.

I'm pretty much with Jersey on all the other stuff.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:14 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
Timo wrote: And btw., Blue Water only did DBGT and DB. So Kirby Morrow wasn't there, right? ;)
Ummmm, Kirby Morrow started voicing Goku towards the end of the Cell Games saga and all through the Buu saga, so I don't know where you got that idea. :?
Right, but Kirby Morrow didn't do Goku in DBGT (Blue Water in Calgary did GT, right? Ocean Studios in Vancouver did DBZ). Kirby Morrow has nothing to do with the DBGT dub of Blue Water. That's what I meant.^.-

And guys, I DIDN'T say Ian Corlett was awful! He was good and I liked many of his scenes. Although I prefer Peter Kelamis over all other english speaking Gokus. But in my opinion (or in my ears) Mr. Corlett is the one who sounds like a "surfer dude". Maybe it has to do with the language and the understanding of the "voice creation" in English language. Believe me or not, but it's not like in German (or Japanese, Spanish, French etc.).

A little OT:
I mean, the whole thing how you sound in a language is different than in another one. You use your voice in English different than in German (or in Japanese, in Spanish etc.). I tried myself. If I really would try to sound american, than I have to use my voice differently than in German. So, if I listen to Ian Corlett and I search for a pretty similar voice actor German, than I find guys who sound like a super hero/surfer. It's all about the "pure" voice (in the specific language) and how you would use it normally. I don't know whether you understand me, because for me (remember, English isn't my first language^^) it's difficult to put it into words what I mean. -_-"

For all who think I would shit on Mr. Corlett: That's not at all what I think. He is a good actor (I love his Megaman) and he had his moments as Goku. But in my opinion (and in my understanding of the "use of a voice in a different language") he wasn't the best Goku.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:22 pm

Timo wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:
Ummmm, Kirby Morrow started voicing Goku towards the end of the Cell Games saga and all through the Buu saga, so I don't know where you got that idea. :?
Right, but Kirby Morrow didn't do Goku in DBGT (Blue Water in Calgary did GT, right? Ocean Studios in Vancouver did DBZ). Kirby Morrow has nothing to do with the DBGT dub of Blue Water. That's what I meant.^.-
Waaaaah! I totally misread your post about the Ocean/Blue Water thing! :oops: Sorry! ^^'

Though I still disagree about Corlett. :P

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:23 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I know this is getting the topic... well... off-topic, but I always just stare at the screen wide-eyed and jaw open when I see people complementing Schemmel's screams, and saying that Corlett was awful.

Schemmel doing anything *other* than simply talking naturally completely destroys the character voice for me. I find his upset/attacking/fighting voice irritating, forced, flat, etc. Peaking and cracking your voice really, really, really loudly does *not* equal "good screaming".

On the flip-side, when he's simply being the dummy-head normal Goku, I find his voice absolutely astoundingly phenomenal.

I'm pretty much with Jersey on all the other stuff.
Aside from the forced yell, I didn't like how Son Goku was put out of character in the english dubs & how they didn't put his "southern dialect" when it was there at times. It was one of my little pet peeves. I definitely agree with your comment on Schemmel's dummy-head normal Goku.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:17 pm

I'm kinda shocked to hear anyone say Ian Corlett wasn't the best English Goku, because from what I can tell, he personified Goku's character close to perfect when compared to his high-pitched Japanese counterpart (ignoring the "hick" accent issue).

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:50 pm

I would love to get that Dan Dan on a CD, but it isn't the same words as Dan Dan. I recall something about a heart in the song?(I am not so good with my Japanese, but I did hear a kokoro..)
OH, and that Pilaf voice sounds like the one from the Old Kidmark DB dub.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:34 pm

In reply to just about everyone on the qualities of different Goku voices:

Ian Corlett: I really, really liked Ian Corlett. He's an awesome voice actor, and I like him in Reboot, too, for the time he played Bob. :D When I think back to "old school" Dragon Ball Z, I think of his voice as Goku, rather then...

Peter Kelamis: Um, he didn't sound like "Goku," to me. :? I was kind of confused when he started voicing Goku, because he sounded similar to Corlett's version, but it just didn't feel "right." Other than that, I don't actually remember what his voice sounds like. :(

Sean Schemmel: Okay, so in the dub for movie 8 his voice was. . . :shock: awful. AWFUL! Awful. . . Oh my god, awful. Before and after that he was good. Oh, and I just like his voice. I'm used to it, and he sounds goofy, which Goku is. Strange that his Goku voice is higher than Stephanie Nadolny's voice for him. (ESPECIALLY IN MOVIE 8! :x )

Yeah, also I don't like when Goku's voice sounds southernish. Unless it's the Japanese version, I'm not used to him sounding like a hick. I know he is a hick, but I'm just not used to him being a hick in English. Please don't stone me. :wink:

Completely random note: SCOTT MCNEIL IS AWESOME! Check my sig! :D

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:11 am

I guess I might as well throw in my thoughts on the different English Goku VA's:

Ian Corlett: I liked him, his acting was great, he managed to capture Goku's innocence, something his boyish voice helped with, his screams were nothing special though. However, as good as he was, he never did make his Goku his own IMO like Brad Swaile, Brain Drummond and Scott Mcneil did with Gohan, Vegeta and Piccolo respectivly, which is why I don't quite put him in the same braket as those three in terms of overall favourite English Va's

Peter Kelamis: I've always found this guy to be overrated. Honestly, I just dislike the voice he used. People use to claim back in the day that his voice captures Goku's innocence and is close to Masako's, but the way I see it, he made him sound too goofy, not just goofy in the comedic scene's but goofy all the time, regardless of the situation Goku was in, I found I could never take him seriously in serious situations.

Sean Schemmel: There were times when I think this guy was great (i.e. first SSJ3 transformation, Majin Vegeta eps), but then there were others when hearing him makes you go URGH! His voice can be so gratting at times, but at others it actually sounds okay and fitting, he's very inbalanced. He can produce some amazing screams, but he was not as consistant with them like Drummond. I'd put him ahead of Kelamis, but behind Corlett and Morrow.

Kirby Morrow: Voice wise when he's on form, he's my favourite English Goku. He had that boyish voice like Corlett, but it's even more fitting IMO. It was his acting that often let him down though and his tendency to sound too monotonous. Overall throughout his DBZ run he was too inconsistant, great in one episode, poor in another. Anyone that has heared Morrow's screams know that they were never up to much, so I don't need say anymore on that. However, he did finish strongly in the Kid Buu episodes (acting and voice wise), if he had shown that form for the majority of his time in DBZ, he'd be my overall favourite English Goku, but as it stands he's slightly behind Corlett, but in front of Schemmel and Kelamis.
Last edited by Jodaku on Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:43 am

I personally hate all the dub screaming anyway.

I prefer Blue Water's dub, basically because it keep the original BGM, which is much better than Funi's rap crap...and I like rap music.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:05 am

Well, it has to be Ian Corlett for me. But I do have to agree with Jodaku, his screams were medicore. For example, he should've been much more intense when Goku unleashed his Kamehameha at Vegeta. (Might I add that I really didn't like the replaced sound effects in the Ocean dub of seasons one and two and the first three movies.)

Kelamis' work in movie two was amazing, especially his screams...but that was about it for him. If he had been as good in the other two movies then he might've been my favorite dub Goku.

Schemmel is good here and there, but he really sounds forced when Goku's angry or screaming. It doesn't exactly help that the dub script makes him more like superhero.

As for Morrow, never heard him as Goku. (I think.)