Why doesn't a villain ever try to blow up the sun?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Why doesn't a villain ever try to blow up the sun?

Post by precita » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Instead of blowing up the Earth, why don't they try to blow up the Sun? I assume in the Dragonball world, just like in real life, without a Sun everyone on Earth would die instantly.

So why did that never happen?

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why doesn't a villain ever try to blow up the sun?

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Same reason they never blow up the Earth right away I suppose. The villain usually likes the challenge or wants to fight and humiliate Goku or whomever.

Or maybe an exploding sun would be too much to handle? But that's just guessing on my part.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:34 am

Cell was going too, villians before him are maybe unable too and villians after him (Buu, Beerus) are just in it for the the fights.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:13 am

Lucifer tries to in DB Movie 2.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:30 am

Blowing up the moon meant jack shit, so what's blowing up the sun gonna do? You think NOW they're gonna apply that line of logic now?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:36 am

Maybe... They couldn't actually blow up the sun pre DBS? As they weren't strong enough to do so 8)

Merged Zamasu
Banned

Post by Merged Zamasu » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:22 am

Or even better...why don't you try to CORRUPT the sun with your evil energy?

So far, only Merged Zamasu has thought of that.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:16 am

Hey! What kinda monsters you think they are! They care for other people living in the solar system..
Good old freeza, he always cared
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:29 am

Kanassa wrote:Blowing up the moon meant jack shit, so what's blowing up the sun gonna do? You think NOW they're gonna apply that line of logic now?
You don't need a moon to sustain life. You need a sun.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:35 am

Wasn't the Earth's core dangerous to Goku? I can't imagine an exploding sun is something he could just shrug off.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:39 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Wasn't the Earth's core dangerous to Goku? I can't imagine an exploding sun is something he could just shrug off.
Do you mean Namek's core?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:42 am

precita wrote:So why did that never happen?
Because Goku's power doesn't come from the Sun. :roll:

I'm pretty sure that when and if the Sun obtains an important role, he'll be destroyed.
Last edited by Grimlock on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:43 am

Grimlock wrote:I'm pretty sure that when Sun obtains an important role, he'll be destroyed.
That makes it sound like Goku's a primadona.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:49 am

ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Wasn't the Earth's core dangerous to Goku? I can't imagine an exploding sun is something he could just shrug off.
Do you mean Namek's core?
There was an episode right after the Trunks arc where Bulma sends him underground to the Earth's core and he needs a suit to keep him alive down there. I assume a sun exploding would kill him if he needs protection against the Earth's core.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:50 am

I've never seen Super.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:58 am

Because the easiest, smartest route isn't usually taken in shonen.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Because... that's suicide? First of all, they'd need a blast to reach the sun. Now, I can't speak for Super, but I don't think that the villains before Boo (at least) could do that.

Even if so, the only villain who seemed willing to sacrifice himself was Cell -- even though he thought that his actual failsafe was fool-proof and it could be possible that he expected to return anyway. Other than that, no villain was suicidal. If you blow up the sun, it creates a black hole and everything in the solar system will be destroyed. Yeah, every villain except for Cell who had the bright idea to blow up the Earth was pretty okay doing so because they could breathe in space. If they blew up the sun, regardless of their space breathing ability, they'd be dead.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Cell tried to blow up the sun after he came back with the zenkai but other that no villain has tried it because they weren't about that.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:24 pm

ABED wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Blowing up the moon meant jack shit, so what's blowing up the sun gonna do? You think NOW they're gonna apply that line of logic now?
I didn't say that, my point was that it's unlikely they' take in to account the effects of blowing up the sun when they never took into account the effects of losing the moon.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ABED wrote:
I didn't say that, my point was that it's unlikely they' take in to account the effects of blowing up the sun when they never took into account the effects of losing the moon.
I still don't see a big difference. Okay, you didn't say that, but the effect of blowing up the moon is competely different than blowing up a sun.