What if Future Trunks stayed in the present?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

What if Future Trunks stayed in the present?

Post by keyz05 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:36 am

How would things change if Trunks were to stay in the present with Mai?

precita
Banned

Re: What if Future Trunks stayed in the present?

Post by precita » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:43 am

Trunks would have an "older brother."

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:23 am

Future Trunks and Future Mai staying and going to live somewhere far from the main characters would have been a lot more satisfying than "go back to a timeline similar to yours where you'll have to deal with another versions of you" :roll:
I bet they could've fused with their alternate versions or something.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:11 pm

There's something I never fully understood. If Zeno destroyed their universe...how the hell are they going to be able to back in time before such event happened? Sounds impossible for Mai and Trunks to go back if you ask me....
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:10 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Future Trunks and Future Mai staying and going to live somewhere far from the main characters would have been a lot more satisfying than "go back to a timeline similar to yours where you'll have to deal with another versions of you" :roll:
Yeah, when it first happened I thought this was all leading to having F!Trunks stay as apart of the main cast, but just having another timeline for Trunks to stay in just made Omni-King destroying his timeline feel a bit pointless.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:25 pm

We wouldn't need master roshi in the tournament, and that's not good!
It's good he went away, gotta please your waifu
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:52 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Future Trunks and Future Mai staying and going to live somewhere far from the main characters would have been a lot more satisfying than "go back to a timeline similar to yours where you'll have to deal with another versions of you" :roll:
They couldn't fuse with themselves as children because they would need potara earrings to do any sort of permanent fusion or fusion of people of different heights and potara earrings are extremely rare. Also, a permanent fusion would be a bad idea because Bulma and Vegeta would suddenly be parents to a 31-year-old instead of an 11-year-old and would miss a lot of Trunks' development. I also imagine Pilaf and Shu would break away from Mai if she was older than they were and go wreak havoc around the world because they wouldn't have a voice of reason.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:54 pm

The ending would be slightly less stupid. This new stuff doesn't work with EoZ so you might as well have him permanently stay.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:54 pm

This. IMO, this approach gives Trunks and Mai get the best of two worlds: they can stay in the same timeline and provide standby assistance and also be close to their friends if they have trouble, and otherwise can live their lives alone together like most other DB characters who leave of the spotlight.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Honestly, I would have preferred in Trunks and Mai stayed in the present, at least until after the Universe Survival arc.

The gang can draft Future Trunks into their group for the tournament and he would actually have a reason to stay around: The wish from the Super Dragon Balls.

In a nutshell, Universe 7 wins the Multiverse Tournament, Trunks wishes for his timeline to be restored to how it was pre-Black and then he finally heads back home with Mai.

I'm still surprised Toei went with such a contrived ending for him in the anime.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:57 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
They couldn't fuse with themselves as children because they would need potara earrings to do any sort of permanent fusion or fusion of people of different heights and potara earrings are extremely rare. Also, a permanent fusion would be a bad idea because Bulma and Vegeta would suddenly be parents to a 31-year-old instead of an 11-year-old and would miss a lot of Trunks' development. I also imagine Pilaf and Shu would break away from Mai if she was older than they were and go wreak havoc around the world because they wouldn't have a voice of reason.
I didn't explain it properly: I wasn't referring to fusion in the traditional DB sense nor to doing it with their present-day selves.
Trunks's timeline was recreated sans Zamasu, right? Trunks and Mai travel to the new timeline, which is basically their own except they'd be in peace and still recovering after the death of the Androids. In this timeline, there's already a Trunks and a Mai, the same age as the ones we've been following.

There are some time travel stories in which the time traveller kind of "fuses" with their new timeline self (or wakes up in his new timeline body, if you will), sometimes gaining new memories in addition to their own. I think it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that Whis or Zeno have the power to to this.

IMO, this would be a better end for both of them: their arc would be complete and they could live their lives in a world that's mostly theirs. And, since they would retain their memories from the old future, they'd still be together even if they hadn't previously met in the new one.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:00 pm

He becomes extra fodder in the tournament. He also finally manages to go SSB

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Now that I think more about, I'd enjoy Trunks sticking around to get the wish to restore his timeline. Maybe for some reason or another he'll only be able to restore it an hour or two before zeno came in, so as well as training to help win the tournament, he also has an undercurrent of subtle tension as he has to prepare to kill Zamasu this time before Zeno has to interfere (Then cut to a hilarious 'failure repeat' plot for a few minutes :D).
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:03 pm

He wouldn't have to deal with the fact that he failed each time he saw one of his death comrades and he wouldn't have to explain his other self the terrible truth of his fate.

In fact, i'm pretty sure that Mai was the one being ok, Trunks simply followed her.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Gog wrote:He becomes extra fodder in the tournament. He also finally manages to go SSB
He's so weak compared to Goku and Vegeta that I think going SSJ3 would be a massive accomplishment for him.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:56 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
Gog wrote:He becomes extra fodder in the tournament. He also finally manages to go SSB
He's so weak compared to Goku and Vegeta that I think going SSJ3 would be a massive accomplishment for him.
What? He's about the same power level in his super saiyan rage form.

Anyways we'll suddenly see a shift in him being far less effective now that he has to truly share spotlight with Goku and Vegeta.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:02 pm

kinisking wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
What? He's about the same power level in his super saiyan rage form.

Anyways we'll suddenly see a shift in him being far less effective now that he has to truly share spotlight with Goku and Vegeta.
Almost forgot, he loses the power of plot, and asspulls. He also will never use the spirit bomb sword again, and it will never be mentioned.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:04 pm

Possibly train even more with Vegeta or maybe even the gods. That way, Trunks is gonna get even more OP.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Out-of-universe: It would have felt like they were giving up and been a far less interesting ending to the arc.

In-universe: There would have been two Trunks and two Mais in one timeline, and that'd be super weird.
successoroffate wrote:There's something I never fully understood. If Zeno destroyed their universe...how the hell are they going to be able to back in time before such event happened? Sounds impossible for Mai and Trunks to go back if you ask me....
[spoiler]They're headed to a point in the timestream prior to the events of Black and Zamasu's rampage, and thus, prior to Zeno destroying the fabric of the universe.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Cipher on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Cipher wrote:Out-of-universe: It would have felt like they were giving up and been a far less interesting ending to the arc.
In-universe: There would have been two Trunks and two Mais in one timeline, and that'd be super weird.
There's something I never fully understood. If Zeno destroyed their universe...how the hell are they going to be able to back in time before such event happened? Sounds impossible for Mai and Trunks to go back if you ask me....
[spoiler]They're headed to a point in the timestream prior to the events of Black and Zamasu's rampage, and thus, prior to Zeno destroying the fabric of the universe.[/spoiler]
That's what happened.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.