What would be your DB-Live Action dream casting?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

What would be your DB-Live Action dream casting?

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:04 pm

What actors/actresses would you cast in your hypothetical live-action movie of Dragon Ball?

Bonus question: Who would you want to direct and write it? (is not necesary to have both roles by the same person)
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

sintzu
Banned

Re: What would be your DB-Live Action dream casting?

Post by sintzu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 pm

I'd have Zack Snyder, Michael Bay or anyone who can use special affects really well direct it.

I don't think they need a writer cause the script is already there, all the director will have to do is turn the manga into live action.

I'd have the Aliens and Cell be CGI like the Jungle book and they'd be voiced by Funimation's cast.

The Androids and Humans can be acted by people but I don't think they need any huge name actors/actresses for the roles.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Goku (Ludi Lin) - I know it seems cliche to cast someone who is in the Power Rangers upcoming movie, but from what I've seen - This guy emits a positive energy (just like Goku!) and seems like the ideal choice for Goku because he's already going to be in a property based on an originally-Japanese property. However, since he's almost 30 years old - The DB live-action movie would automatically have to be set during the Saiyan Saga so he can portray the adult version of Goku.

Bulma (Amanda Seyfried) - Perhaps, Cecily Strong? Okay, I know she's an SNL actress - But I don't know, something about her makes me feel confident she can portray the craziness that is the character of Bulma (due to all the characters she's played on SNL). Ah, who am I kidding? She's primarily a comedic actress even if she's been getting into movies lately. Also, it takes more than just impressions and skits to portray a character, I admit. I don't know, I guess I just didn't feel like going with the typical choice of Emma Stone (who I think is a good template for an actress who I'd be aiming for to play a sarcastic but intelligent scientist like Bulma). I don't know, I guess Amanda Seyfried if I have to go with a more traditional movie actress. I can honestly see Ludi and Amanda bouncing off each other well in terms of playing Goku and Bulma. And it's not like Bulma needs an Emily Blunt (who I was originally hoping would play Captain Marvel) type of actress. A Seyfried-type would work well for Bulma's character even if Seyfried is not the best actress out there that I could have chosen. Also, Seyfried is not tied down by a big franchise at the moment so I don't know. However, I admit Cecily Strong is highly UNLIKELY and a bit UNORTHODOX in terms of casting, but I just felt like picking a choice that would shock everyone. Still, Strong's most likely never leaving SNL to be a part of a DB film franchise.

Director (Chad Stahelski) - Chad Stahelski? Robert Rodriguez? Antoine Fuqua? These choices may seem random, but Chad has only ever directed two big movies so he still can direct more and the John Wick series has been critically-acclaimed so far with great action (needed for a DB film). As for Robert Rodriguez, he has experience with big action films and is going to direct Alita: Battle Angel (based on a manga) so it wouldn't be too unrealistic for him to take on Dragon Ball. Antoine Fuqua is also a talented director who has directed big films lately (such as The Maginificent Seven reboot) so with the right screenwriter - I believe these are decent choices. Also, David Leitch is directing Deadpool 2 and he worked with Chad on John Wick 1 so Dragon Ball could be his own Deadpool type of gig. Also, Chad seems fond of Japanese cinema so Dragon Ball could be his door to further focus on that fondness in his work.

Damn, I spent WAY too much time on this (for a thread that might not even get further replies). Once again, this is only for the DBZ side of things since I believe if a future DB movie is made - It would be best to capitalize off the DBZ brand and start with the Saiyan Saga. BRING ON THE DISAGREE REPLIES!!!

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:44 pm

For Goku I always liked Jackie Chan I don't know why...
Android 18: Ronda Rousey.
Nappa: Goldberg.
And James Marsters gets Piccolo again without a doubt.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:51 am

sintzu wrote:I'd have Zack Snyder, Michael Bay or anyone who can use special affects really well direct it.
What, so they can turn it into another humourless, overly gritty distraction with no real connection to what made the original works great? Again?
No thanks.
They need someone who can embrace the whimsical nature of Dragon Ball, while still having a strong serious side, like what Richard Donner did for Superman.
sintzu wrote:I don't think they need a writer cause the script is already there, all the director will have to do is turn the manga into live action.
In theory, having the manga on hand as a rough storyboarded outline for some parts works, but in the end, they would need to write a script. They can't just turn the manga into a shot-for-shot remake, otherwise it'd end up just being a compromised retread that isn't allowed to be its own thing(Also some of Viz's odd translation choices would come out really, really weird). Movie adaptations have to be a good movie first, and an adaptation of the source material second. The Harry Potter films cut out 90% of the subplots from the fourth film onwards, because otherwise they'd end up with an over-long, unfocused mess, despite being potentially more accurate.
It'd need a script, but having both the manga and the animes(Manga translation isn't the best; Steve Simmons' subtitles are much better) on hand for all those involved(Including the director) would be a good idea.
sintzu wrote:I'd have the Aliens and Cell be CGI like the Jungle book and they'd be voiced by Funimation's cast.
Does that include Piccolo? >_>
Anyway, I'm not so sure it'd be a good idea for Funimation to voice the CGI characters, while leaving the live action actors as different people. It'd create an odd dissonance for dub fans that'd be more off-putting than anything else. And going all the way by having all the Funimation actors play everyone wouldn't work either(Sean Schemmel looks a little Goku-ish, but nothing like Kaio, and Chris Sabat looks nothing like Piccolo or Vegeta), so really, it'd have to be a whole new cast.
sintzu wrote:The Androids and Humans can be acted by people but I don't think they need any huge name actors/actresses for the roles.
Agreed. Don't want Tom Cruise as Goku, for example. Having said this, there are a couple that'd probably work okay(Off the top of my head, Ian McKellen as Roshi, or Jennifer Lawrence as Bulma might work alright).
I think having a focus on Asian actors would be a good idea, given this is an originally Asian story. Who knows, maybe someone who isn't white could finally get nominated for an Oscar.
Ultimately though, it should all depend not on race, not on fame, but on how well the actor portrays the role. And as long as they do a good job of it, I'd be willing to accept anyone. But, given the subject of the thread...

Peter Dinklage as Commander Red, Ian McKellen as Kami, Patrick Stewart as Piccolo, and now that mecha3000 has put the idea in my head, Amanda Seyfried as Bulma sounds really cool.
Yeah, I know that goes against what I just said, but I don't know about many small-name actors. :P
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:51 pm

Maybe those 2 aren't the best directors but they'll need someone who can do big scale fights and knows how to use a lot of CGI.
They can't just turn the manga into a shot-for-shot remake, otherwise it'd end up just being a compromised retread that isn't allowed to be its own thing.
By its own thing do you mean like evolution ? no thank you, they should just turn the manga into live action instead of trying to do their own thing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:33 pm

sintzu wrote:
They can't just turn the manga into a shot-for-shot remake, otherwise it'd end up just being a compromised retread that isn't allowed to be its own thing.
By its own thing do you mean like evolution ? no thank you, they should just turn the manga into live action instead of trying to do their own thing.
No, once again, I draw your attention to the Harry Potter films. They could have just adapted the books as close as possible, but they prioritised making a good film first, and as a result, I'd say the first three of them are classics. The latter ones less so, but they're still all great films that I'd happily rewatch over and over again for years to come. Same with basically all of the live-action Marvel movies.
Point is, if a live action Dragon Ball movie was made, it would have to be a good movie first, everything else being secondary to this. If this or that scene flows better in a different place in a film to in a manga, then sure, make that change.
Bottom line: As long as it makes a good movie, that's what's important.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:24 pm

How about Jackie Chan as Jackie Chun? :lol:

For a movie to have Jackie Chun in it, it would have to be another original DB movie but actually following the plot this time. I'm thinking Pilaf and 21st tourney rolled into one? Also, if Goku's white again I'm boycotting the writers.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:57 pm

I would absolutely hate a live-action movie. Some things just can't be live-action. I'd prefer a full CGI movie, to be honest. I even feel that superhero movies should go full CGI. Why? Half -- if not more -- of the superhero movies are already CGI. Might as well go the extra mile so it's not as jarring when you see it happening. Plus, that way we can never complain that the actor doesn't "look" appropriate.

I apply the same logic to DB. It would be so full of CGI, that they might as well just make the whole thing in CGI. Plus, nobody will ever look like the perfect Goku or Vegeta. Why? Because people don't look like that, and trying to give them that kind of hair will just make them look like cosplayers.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Scarlett Johansson as Goku and Tilda Swinton as Vegeta. I want to be written and directed by whoever worked on Suicide Squad. Focus on practical effects with no special effects whatsoever. I want product placement for Papa Johns and Monster Energy drink and skateboarding should be involved. There should also be exclusive footage for the Chinese audience.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:07 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: I would absolutely hate a live-action movie. Some things just can't be live-action. I'd prefer a full CGI movie, to be honest. I even feel that superhero movies should go full CGI. Why? Half -- if not more -- of the superhero movies are already CGI. Might as well go the extra mile so it's not as jarring when you see it happening. Plus, that way we can never complain that the actor doesn't "look" appropriate.

I apply the same logic to DB. It would be so full of CGI, that they might as well just make the whole thing in CGI. Plus, nobody will ever look like the perfect Goku or Vegeta. Why? Because people don't look like that, and trying to give them that kind of hair will just make them look like cosplayers.
It´s a matter of execution, it´s not impossible.

This is what you get when you´re trying to the closest copy paste possible instead of doing a good adaptation.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Vin Diesel as Piccolo. Anyone who follows VA's should get this one. :D

Anyway...bandwagoning on this, CGI or US show w/voiced characters:

Ron Perlman as Cell

Mark Hamill as Freeza (I've actually heard Samuel L. Jackson be recommended tbh)

Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart as Gowasu & Roshi

JK Simmons as Kaio

Chris Pratt as Goku

Benedict Cumberbatch as Beerus

Tony Todd as Shenlong

using as many big names as possible. Vin Diesel is nothing like the Japanese VO but honestly not a bad idea. If we were going to (presumably) base it off the dub, it'd be perfect tbh.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:15 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:Benedict Cumberbatch as Beerus
I don't agree 100% with all of yours, but this one is actually perfect. :D

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Eh, I don't really think Dragon Ball would work in live-action since Evolution has already proven that.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:53 pm

For the major protagonists:

Goku: Either some younger-looking version of 陳港生 or Tony Jaa.

Vegeta: Karl Urban or Julian McMahon

Gohan: As an adult, Jung Ji-hoon.

Piccolo: Tyrese Gibson, Adrian Lester, or Idris Elba.

Future Trunks: A young Leonardo Dicarprio look-alike or Alexander Skarsgård

Bulma: ....Jennifer Connelly? *shrugs*

Krillin:... THE GUY WHO PLAYS SHAMAN FROM FILTHY FRANK!!! If not him, then Ronald Lee Clark.

Yamcha: Shin Koyamada

Tien Shinhan: Collin Chou

Some may "look" the part, but I don't know if they could ACT the part.

I wouldn't mind if they chose some of the actors from some of the fan films I've seen on YouTube.

Also, to answer your bonus question, I have no idea who would be worthy to direct it or write the script. :/
Last edited by Esfír Dedragón on Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Keep in mind I wasn't thinking necessarily live-action, more "voice-over with huge names". I might've thrown in Keith David for Dabra on a thread awhile back. Peter Cullen & Clancy Brown also come to mind. As does Samuel L. Jackson (Commander Black, anyone?)

More:

Olivia D'Abo (#18)

Rosario Dawson (Vados)

Alan Tudyk (Whis)

Lance Henriksen (Hit)

& of course, Arnold Schwarzenegger as #16 :D

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:42 am

Tom Hiddleston - Vegeta

Billy Crystal - King Kai

Unfortunately that's all I got for now.

But I definitely want to see Michael Bay produce it (not really direct, maybe just produce it). His work on Transformers and Ninja Turtles would make him perfect for live-action cartoon adaptations.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:41 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Tom Hiddleston - Vegeta

Billy Crystal - King Kai

Unfortunately that's all I got for now.

But I definitely want to see Michael Bay produce it (not really direct, maybe just produce it). His work on Transformers and Ninja Turtles would make him perfect for live-action cartoon adaptations.
Aw dude, I am so jealous I didn't think of this one. Especially given some folks' idea of Crispin Freeman (who also played Loki) as Vegeta.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Dragon Ball CAN work if it's live action, but there are a number of factors which must be met which I don't believe ever will.

1.) It must be directed and produced by those who UNDERSTAND the source material and it's appeal and are willing to listen to Toriyama in regards to how to handle its characters. In the west, I'm not convinced there are too many people who love the franchise enough who are also in these positions. If Marvel can make great super hero movies, a great DB movie can be made. Michael bay btw, would ruin it. He is the opposite of everything I'm saying here. The movie should not be about special effects.

2.) Cast people who are great for the role. They do not have to be known actors and they do not have to be Japanese. I know some people had that hang up before with the last movie. Unknowns would be best for this because any big name actor probably won't consider Dragon Ball a movie worth doing anyway. Similar to how superhero movies were once viewed. My roundabout answer to this thread is cast unknowns btw.

3.) It needs a decently big budget to pull it off. Which it probably won't get.

4.) Stay true to their costumes/world designs. It doesn't need an edgey redesign to be cool.

5.) It would probably work best if the opening of the movie were a short version of the saiyan saga and the bulk of the movie was about Freeza.

6.) Toriyama should write the initial script it would be based on. Good luck with that.

... which is why I have pretty much given up on Dragon Ball existing outside of animation.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:28 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Keep in mind I wasn't thinking necessarily live-action, more "voice-over with huge names". I might've thrown in Keith David for Dabra on a thread awhile back. Peter Cullen & Clancy Brown also come to mind. As does Samuel L. Jackson (Commander Black, anyone?)

More:

Olivia D'Abo (#18)

Rosario Dawson (Vados)

Alan Tudyk (Whis)

Lance Henriksen (Hit)

& of course, Arnold Schwarzenegger as #16 :D
Keep in mind that this a live-action dream casting thread, not a dream voice casting thread. You could do this in another thread, but I think that another dream voice cast is too much.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.